Skip navigation

Cabrio hood replacement

Back to the top

Cabrio hood replacement

Yeah, Sorry I still haven?t got round to doing a how to with pics.

The tools are…

Screwdrivers - various sizes, flat and philips.

Utility knife for cutting the hood where necessary.
Staple gun for fitting the hood the the frame.
Some cord for fitting the rear window
Silicone sealant for sealing it.
A riveter plus rivets for riveting the strap to the frame (motorworld do rivets and washers in the same box that are exactly the right size!)

I couldn't find a really high temp contact adhesive so I had to use evostick which was good for up to 30C. I searched all DIY stores everywhere locally and didn't have time to order some decent stuff. I think UHU do a good one but www.carhoodwarehouse.co.uk recommended Dunlop 51358 in their fitting instructions.

A 5mm normal spanner and a 10mm ratchet spanner are ace for this bit…

And a bit of wood shaped like a bolster chisel at one end and flat at the other is useful for fitting the rear cable.

and a car cover if your doing it in the open incase it rains

Think thats about it.

I didn't have to use any clamps of any sort to attach the rear cable, just that bit of wood!  I did every bit of it single handedly apart from fitting the rear window.

Good luck with it. Its not as hard as it seems if you are pretty competent DIYer.

Ross

Back to the top
thanks alot m8, its much appreciated :D

TG

Need your console repaired or mods done? drop me a pm:)

Back to the top
Excellent job.

Once I've got the engine back together I'll be getting on with mine!

AliCabrio

Mars Red 1.8 GTi Cabrio 1985
Seat Covers
Scratches
Leaky roof
1 million smiles per hour

Back to the top
Can see me re fitting mine at this rate!

A local guy did mine and made a total arse of it!
Is it just the front header bit that you seal with silicone? I checked mine and its not even glued at all!

Warning, Never use Gordon maitland of turriff to fit your hood unless you want to pay a fortune, wait two months and get a crap job! :cry:

Back to the top
I only used the silicone to seal the rear window after fitting it. None at the front at all.

Back to the top
But are you not meant to glue the front of the hood to the front rail of the frame? Sure I read this somewhere like.

Back to the top
I've read this too in a couple of fitting guides but my car showed no sign of any glue ever being there so I didnt use any. The rail that screws onto the front header area does a good job of stopping the hood fabric going anywhere.

I only used contact adhesive to glue the hood fabric to the frame at the sides of the hood where the side seals go.

I've basically finished writing the guide now (it'll probably need some fine tuning). I just need to type it up and host all the pics somewhere.

Back to the top
way to go ross! :D
look forward to seeing it.

Back to the top
Ross @

was your roof tight, or tighter when u fitted the new one??

did u cut the window before you shut the hood for the first time?

cheers

TG:)

Back to the top
I replied in your other thread.

I didn't cut the roof before closing and I didn't notice it being any tighter really at all. The hood material is probably looser on a new hood to an old one anyway as the hood tends to shrink with age.

Cheers,

Ross

Back to the top
cheers dude, was just coming over here to say dissregard this post, you're too fast for me :lol:

TG :)

Back to the top
Heh! I just replied to your other post again!  :lol:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.