Skip navigation

What C0 percentage and setting

Back to the top

What C0 percentage and setting

Hi, what should my 1.3 big block engine code GY (mk1 citi import) C0% setting be? I have an emmissions anayliser so i can set this my self, also how do you adjust the mixture.

Thnaks

Back to the top
carburettor is a keihin, co content is 1% plus or minus 0.5%,at 950 rpm.
Set timing first and fit new plugs,run engine until fan cuts in then set co.
the co screw is the one right next to the accelerator cable,at the back of the carb
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Cheers Bert, i aint got a gun for the timing, so i'll set the C0 for now and then get it timmed, i know i'll have to do it again but i need the practice :)

what is the correct timing settings? if you don't mind

btw, i just changed the plugs, rotor arm, dizzy cap, air filter and really gave the engine a good clean out :)

Doing the oil tomorrow, i might flush it, do you reccomend flushing it? if so what's the best to use on this engine?

Thanks again

Deef

Back to the top
Timing is 5-7 degrees before tdc with vacuum hose disconnected,
If you flush the engine use 50% paraffin mixed with 50% cheap 20w50 oil and let it fast idle about 1500rpm,dont drive it,let the engine run for 15 mins then drain it out straight away,renew filter and new oil
Works a treat on old fords and vauxhalls  :wink:
B ok
bert

Back to the top
Cheers mate.

Will let you know how it goes!

Back to the top
Bert, need some help mate!

Is the mixture screw the one with the flat head slot in it?

If so which is the idle speed screw,as i can't get down to 1% with out her stalling as the revs are dropping too low, so i need to up the idle speed first!

Back to the top
Right then bert,the co screw is right round the back of the carb,it is the one that comes out af 45 degrees,the idle screw has a spring on it,i can turn mine with my fingers it is also round the back
Bert

Back to the top
Nice one, i had the right one then, the idle screw is just above that, i can see that now, cheers.

It damn tight in there though, I had to use the very short screw drivers :)

Is there anyhting else i need to do once i set the idle and C0 (aprt from the timming)?

Also on the other side of the carb, is a big screw, similar to the mixture screw, it's next the a start type charachter? what is this for?

Thanks again

Back to the top
Dont touch it……….its A PLUG according to mr manuel (haynes)
Bert
u best go to gaydon after all this!

Back to the top
gaydon? what/who is that?

Also the thermostat, is that located at the end of the bottom hose from the radiator up into the bottom of the water pump?

Back to the top
Gaydon,the mk1 golf owners club (these lot) annual meet,august 13th bert,look at gaydon posts.
Thermostat is at the bottom of the water pump,2 10mm bolts and its out,dont lie underneath at the time  :wink:  you will get slightly damp..
If it runs crap after tuning it might be jetted different for  high altitude in africa,my white citigolf was a gauteng registered car and had a reciept in the car showing high altitude jets fitted at a cost of 295 rand.
Bert

Back to the top
Thanks mate, will try and make gaydon then (could have had a better name though) :)

If iot is set for high altidtude, what's the best C0 setting?

At the moment when it returns to idle i get a pulsating air coming out of the exhaust and she sounds a bit like a beetle? Any ideas on that aswell?

Thanks gain, been a dimond!

Back to the top
where are you living,and co is the same for all jetting,it will just use more petrol when the main jets are used  :wink:
Bert

Back to the top
Aha, right i see thanks!

Living in south wales - Swansea!

I got one last question for now! :)

I have to replace the temp gauge sender which i found is on the underside of the housing on the front of the block! - going to do this when i flush the system tomorrow!

what is the sender on the right hand side of the head for?

Back to the top
The one on the right hand side of the head is for the oil pressure.
Put the pink G12 antifreeze in if you are going to flush the system its good stuff
Ask away,thats what the site is about  :wink:
bert

Back to the top
Thanks Bert, i got the pink stuff already, always use that in my Valver :)

Fingers crossed, it stays nice tomorrow!

Take care

Back to the top
Right then, just took me an hour, and i still could not get the C0 down past 1.8%

I wound the mixture screw in as far as i could with the idle at 950 before in was starting to cut out and it would not go any lower, i was constantly adjusting the mixture and then the idle screw to keep it at 950

any ideas?

Back to the top
Any ideas guyz?

Back to the top
why do u wanna set a 1.3 below 1.8? berts your man to ask like

Back to the top
if you altered them to bring em' down and they are still at 950 (which probably aint best like) might be accelerator cable (adjustable through notches on cord) 950 rpm seems a bit high if engines warm :dontknow: ask bert!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.