Skip navigation

Aero wipers

Back to the top

Aero wipers

has anybody done this mod to a mk1?

what exactly do you need - do you need new arms or can you just swap the blades? and where is the best place to get them, from VW?

any info in general would be great :D

heres hoping for some wipers which will work! 8)

EDIT: oh and also which wiper motor can you use as an upgrade? is it just a mk2?

black 5 door mk1 GTD

mk1 scirocco Gli in bits

Back to the top
corrado owners use lupo wipers for thier, as the golf ones are wayyyyyy to big apparently,

so i think you may struggle getting the lupo ones to work with the mk1 as its a fair bit smaller than a raddo?

could be wrong though,

tim

mk2 1.8 Driver

mk1 1.8 16v on Carbs

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Just make sure that if your keeping the same wiper arms then the aero blades should have the standard DIN hook. Valeo do a good selection of aftermarket aero blades with DIN hook.

This should make you laugh - Guess what I do for a job?? I design wiper linkages and aero blades……someones got to do it.

'83 Helios Campaign Gti

Back to the top
I did this mod on my TT, you need to replace teh arm as its a tottaly different fitment, im sure it could be done to a MK1, but i dont think it would be easy.

Mark

Back to the top
ok thanks guys, yeah I've seen/heard of lupo and polo ones being used.

axlfoley - which bits did you use to do the conversion on the TT?

I guess it may just be a case of trial and error to get the right size arms and blades.

Tom - you say there are aero blades made with fitting that will go straight on the standard mk1 arms?! if so where do you think would be my best bet to look for them, a big motor factors?

it seem as though a bit more research is nessecary so I'll see what I can find out, I'll be sure to let you all know if I get anywhere, on the same note if anyone else finds somthing please let us know :D

black 5 door mk1 GTD

mk1 scirocco Gli in bits

Back to the top
I'll ask at work for you, my German engineers normally know a way around everything.

In Germany Valeo / Bosch provide aftermarket blades and aeroblades for every car, I would only guess but do Halfords stock anything in the aftermarket range?? I only get free ones when they are coming over, jsut tell them the length.

Let me get back to you.

'83 Helios Campaign Gti

Back to the top
This should make you laugh - Guess what I do for a job?? I design wiper linkages and aero blades……someones got to do it.

then surely you could sneak in a design that fits mk1's, get your calculations wrong for the next VW fox batch or something, get your german friends to sell them on to mk1 owners as defects, bingo, get rich quick.

seriously though, i'm after the same swap as mk1vdub. there's a white jetta coupe on the scene that has them, gotta be better than what i'm suffering with now - bloody british summer!!!! rant over about the weather. any info would be useful cos i can't find a set that fit!!

Back to the top
this has come up before…

Basically they don't come in 16", shortest i've found online or in shops is 17" and that is only part of a pack with a really long one.

Having had a gander at the ones in halfords ;) , it looks like taking the end caps off, cutting arm and rubber wiper insert down, and refitting end caps shouldn't be noticeable at all.  They take std wiper refills anyway.

As Tom said, aftermarket ones come in std fitments.  I think the mk2 length ones come as 18".   You can get mk2 Golf fitment ones online, I assume are same fitment at arm and as the mk1.  

Here you go, 18" universal fitment.  Or search on there for mk2 golf (NOT mk1!).  Same difference.

http://www.1stautobulbs.com/part.php?wpart_id=18

Worth a poke.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top

cracked it - i think

if anyone beats me to getting some and has an issue, let me know  but ehre goes

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16765&cat=706&page=1

16" retro fit aero blades

Back to the top
nice find there boss. ignore all my post, lol

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Ahh sweet!  in that case ignore my post above completly, lol  :lol:

Back to the top
i bought an aero wiper from there, i thought they were a set of two in the pack but i was sorely mistaken, not stuck em on yet because ive still got to order the other and im not really too bothered at the minute as mines is off the road, looks like it will fit ok on the u shaped mk1 arm, will have a do tomorrow and report back with pics

Back to the top
 bought an aero wiper from there, i thought they were a set of two in the pack but i was sorely mistaken

so they sell them indiviually. thanks for letting me know. if you have success i'll order a couple too. keep us posted matey - good luck

Back to the top
bet they're getting tons of orders at the moment  :lol:, good weather for ducks  :mrgreen:

Back to the top

grungeisdead said

i bought an aero wiper from there, i thought they were a set of two in the pack but i was sorely mistaken, not stuck em on yet because ive still got to order the other and im not really too bothered at the minute as mines is off the road, looks like it will fit ok on the u shaped mk1 arm, will have a do tomorrow and report back with pics

Any news/pics mate. keen to know if they're any good :dontknow:

Back to the top
just ordered mine, will let you know when they arrive

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
Got mine today! They fit on a treat and look good as well. Tried 'em with the squirties and they are excellent,very quiet and total coverage. Well chuffed :mrgreen: Order 'em up people!! Group buy perhaps?

Back to the top
mine arrived today too!! fitted them in seconds and there brilliant!! no more squeeking wipers for me!!

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
right i'm getting me some of these bad boys…

Back to the top
so did you guys get the ones from my link - autobulbs.com or whatever it was. glad to be of use, i'm on the phone already. mk1's that go fast in the rain, brilliant
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.