Skip navigation

help.......major worry

Back to the top

help.......major worry

driving to work this morning and all seems fine then suddenly the car starts to lose all power and slows and cuts out. stopped restaterted it and its been fine since, did the same yesterday evening aswell though which makes me worry about it.

its a 1.8 carb engine in a clipper cab

anyone got any idea what it might be?

thanks in advance for all your help.

Back to the top
I have this problem all the time!  I think it is to do with dirt gettin stuck in the carb.

I usually pull in, rev it up to about 7k hold it for 20 seconds or so and it clears it all away.  Mine did it to me yesterday morning!

Gettin pissed off of running a car with a carb, thinkin bout changing!

Back to the top
off to get some carb cleaner at lunch then,was just worrying as it was on the busiest road in and out of manchester during rush hour, wasnt a pleasent experience

Back to the top
Now its cold and damp again (British Summer Time :roll: ) it could be carb icing up. Check the warm air hose is present and connected to exhaust manifold and vacuum pipes to the flap that direct the warm air in to air filter box are OK. I think the later carbs also have water heated inlet manifolds and/or an electrically heated 'hedge hog' to heat up the carb faster. Check the wires and pipes around the back of the engine.

If it only does this whilst warming up (<10-15mins) I'd say icing. If it does it all the time and ususally after a longish (>20+ mins) run I'd say muck in the tank.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
well it must have been a good 20 min or so after starting the car that it did so…..

another gripe is finding a haynes manual or such for it aswell.

Back to the top
have u got a webber on it or perburg ?

Back to the top
now your asking. how would i tell.

Back to the top
check your inline fuel filter?  this is see through and should be under the bonnet in the fule line that goes to the pump on the front of the engine.

Back to the top
yeah thats fine its pumping around nicely. gave it a good warm up and a good old rev earlier when i got home, seemed to make a difference and a load of shit came out the back so hopefully it will be ok, got some carb cleaner aswell so will try that in the desilaten area of the car park tomorrow

Back to the top
still doing it,

checked all that everyones suggested aswell, topped all fluids up last night left it running to warm up and its still doing it today. grrrr.

anyone with any other ideas?

Back to the top
Bypass the return on the bowl thingy which is just in front of your head, (on car) think its a fuel vaporiser or something???? :dontknow:

Had same problem on mine and it just got worse and worse, so took it to a garage and they charged me 45 quid to bypass that thing, bout 6inch long thin bit of pipe, will be dead easy to do yourself.

hope this helps.

Back to the top
Thats your fuel reservoir, I believe it is there to return the not needed fuel and any air in the line back to the fuel tank…  therefore I would think better to replace than to bypass if that is the problem.

Although I have heard of others on here that have bypassed with no problems, so maybe fine to do so….  Anyone know? :dontknow:  :dontknow:

Back to the top
what a nightmare this is, it stopped and started 7 times on the way home last night thats 1 stop and start for every mile.

grrrrrrr  :banghead:

will have a look at that fuel idea.

on a side note, anyone know which haynes manual you have to buy for a 91 cabby?

Back to the top
Is the plastic inline fuel filter clean or full of muck? Have you looked in the petrol tank via the round cover under the rear seat to see if the tank is full of water and muck?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

BrianSalmon said

on a side note, anyone know which haynes manual you have to buy for a 91 cabby?

I've wondered that, there doesn't seem to be a specific one..  I've used the mk2 manual when working on the engine, as I already had one.

Back to the top
filter is clean, havent looked in the tank though will do that tomorrow.

someone did mention the carb icing up. ????

a mk2 manual might do it, spoke with haynes and he said it could be a choice of 3 engines they put in it

Back to the top
There is a downloadable PDF version of the mk2 haynes manual online somewhere, there is a link to it from this site, have a search for it

Back to the top

Back to the top
you absolute star :) :)

Back to the top
Did any of the suggestiosn help in getting your mk1 fixed?

I have the same problem and ebay is starting to look promising!!

Changed the pierburg to a new weber and new fuel filter etc, nothing….drove for 8miles before cutting out (furthest I have ever got!)

I personally feel it maybe my carb icing as my fuel filter is brand spankers!!
Also the connection on my carb heater element seemed really flimsy (pn the unit itself, think maybe that could be a problem??

Hope you can help me!!

R.I.P Dave Wilson
13/02/1982 - 12/11/2006.
To say I've lost my best friend……
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.