Skip navigation

mk1 golf small 1300cc engine to polo 1.3gt on bike carbs :D

Back to the top

mk1 golf small 1300cc engine to polo 1.3gt on bike carbs :D

I've seen these units make 142bhp normally aspirated and 200bhp with superchargers (G40 based engines).  The bottom ends are more than upto the job.

By converting to late Mk2 breakerless ignition you effectively remove the Rev limiter.

The cream de la cream would be to go to megajolt/magespark ignition - it's cost about ?150 to do but it means you can map 3D advance cures from your laptop in real time - how cool?

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

The cream de la cream would be to go to megajolt/magespark ignition - it's cost about ?150 to do but it means you can map 3D advance cures from your laptop in real time - how cool?

Megajolt is what I am aiming for if I ever find a valver to put my carbs on…

Back to the top
I *might* have a valver engine available in a short while.  If anything comes of it, I'll let you know.

Back to the top
got everythingon and running, runs spot on! very very nippy for a 1.3!! i TOTALY RECOMEND THIS CONVERSION!!

justs got a few little more bits to tinker about with, will get some more photos and vids up soon…….

simon

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

Back to the top
Would suzuki gsxr 600 carbs be up to the job? :dontknow:

Or is it best to find the r6's?

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

I *might* have a valver engine available in a short while.  If anything comes of it, I'll let you know.

Cheers Steve, though you are a fair distance from me!!!

Turns out that my mate who had an engine lined up for me but had given up on it (couldn't get compression) thinks it ,ay still be OK. He suggests that I whip the head off and pop the pistons out as he thinks it may just be that the rings have rusted tight into their grooves as the engine has stood for some time with the induction set-up disconnected.

Fingers crossed - I may be back in business sooner than I thought!

Back to the top
hey i also have a 1300 mk1 just wonering how easy the transplant was and how quick it is now cheers happy dubbin

Back to the top
hi there, the transplant was a piece of cake, took about hour n half to get the old one out, and about the same to get new one in, prob a lil bit longer to extend a few fuel hoses and water hoses, and to wire up etc, you can easily get it done in a day if you have the right kit, i.e engine crane.
u WILL notice a diffrence, its alot quicker then the mk1 1300, but have not had a proper chance to test it out at the min as a bit of debris of the road bounced up got wedged inbetwen my driveshaft and put a big hole in my gearbox  :banghead:  :banghead:  but once i do get chance i will be uting some pics up and im hopeing to go to the track day coming up soon so will get some videos done.

good luck, p.s. if you want a polo gt engine and box and loom go on
www.clubpolo.co.uk sales section - few in there,

<a href="

Back to the top
No updates on this thread for a while - All bike carb conversions gone quiet?!?!?

I have a question…

Below is a picture of the carbs I have with some of the tubes labelled.
Anyone have similar tubes on their carbs - if so, what did you do with them! Tubes 1,2 and 3 connect to the side of each carb unit - there is a fourth though the tube is missing.
Tube number 4 is a big bugger which connects the two banks together with a plastic "t" piece.

Did you plug them, or connect to a catch tank or something?
Local bike mechanic thinks my carbs are off an imported bike and that these would connect to the airbox - something to do with emmisions control?!?  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Pm simon i was talking to him the other day on MSN and hes getting there

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
basicly all you want to connect is the fuel supply to the carbs, dont bother about  the fuel return as you want to buy a fuel regulator with a return to the tank built in, idealy you want a set of r6 carbs or some carbs that the parts are easily avaliable for, just thinking because on the of chance if anything does go wrong with your carbs will parts be easy to come across?

and the other pipes left over are breather pipes,
and you might have a throttlew position snesor on there depends if the bike it came of had an ecu, if it has got one, dont worry leave it disconnectd

any other help needed let me know ill try my best to help

<a href="

Back to the top
There isn't a fuel return - When the float chamber is full, the float actually shuts off fuel supply via a little needle valve…

All of the other tubes are breathers of sorts. I registered on "Fireblades.org" and got some good guys check out my pictures and point me in the right direction…

Happy now!

Just got to find some ally tube now to make my manifold. Local company today quoted me ?45 + VAT for a 1 metre length in the right dimensions! Barstewards - I'm not paying that!

Back to the top
:P  cool looks like its coming along then, you can always cut up ur old manifold if u feal daring, but id advise to get one specialy made as i have heard the length of the pipes width of them etc all effect the performance.

keep us infored on how ur getying on, hopefully im goin scrappy this week sometime to get a box for mine, if i can find out what one to get :lol: and she should be all up and running again, ready for some sideways action round some roundabouts  :y:
simon

<a href="

Back to the top
ohh yea forgot to ask this question!

what airfilter have people used for this in the past as i am refusing to pay 100 odd quid for a itg one where u have to cut the base plate to fit.

anybody got a sock filter or something close?

simon

<a href="

Back to the top
I've already cut the manifold down to just the stub that mounts to the head (Allows me to keep the injector ports for possible nitrous installation or maybe even modify the carbs to use as throttle bodies in the future  :wink:

Trying to find some tubing the right size to make up the runners… Not much luck at the moment though. The size I need is not an off the shelf size so getting quotes in the region of ?60 for a meters length!

ITG's often go on ebay for ?30 to ?40. I've got a set of old K&N style filters for Twin Webbers that I can mod to fit temporarily, though I would prefer an ITG foam type.
Most people use 4 mini K&N's specifically for the bike carbs. These are always on EBAY too, though they come in many different sizes!

Back to the top
i have my manifold and then it attaches to the carbs via silicone hoses.

cool will check ebay and that out

simon

<a href="

Back to the top

sim0n_parker said

i have my manifold and then it attaches to the carbs via silicone hoses.

Silicon hose is not actually resistant to fuel, though I can't see that causing any major problems till the pipes are a good few years old!

Back to the top
:lol:  haha looks like the next owner will have that prob then as im not planning on keeping it that long, wana get it sprayed up n running spot on, have some fun ;) and hopefully by then a mk1 cabbi :D

<a href="

Back to the top
Ha ha - Not a big fan of the cabby TBH. Wouldn't mind one just to say I owned one for a bit though…

Back to the top
i hated them, but as soon as my mate got one, ive been helping him pimp it out and doing some subtle mods on it like rear disc brake conversion and lowering on chrome deep deep deep dish 17's and ive fell in love with it, the dish is that deep u can fit a five pound note in it length ways  8O  amazing!  

been surfing the web for someone to reprofile my cam, not for a pull ur trousers down and get ready for a bumming price.
u know of anyone fairly descent and not over expensive?

<a href="

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.