Skip navigation

mk1 golf small 1300cc engine to polo 1.3gt on bike carbs :D

Back to the top

mk1 golf small 1300cc engine to polo 1.3gt on bike carbs :D

hey got the engine in on sat, all up n running, but i need a fuel pressure regulator to fin it of, mine didnt have a return to the tank so got one orderd, andsorting out this sat, heres a few pics as promised. not got ant descent ones of the engine bay as finished yet as it needs tidying up but here they are so far! hope you enjoy??!!  :dontknow:

letmeknow what you think?

simon
p.s. it sounds absolutly AWSOME! WAAAAARRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP  :twisted:

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

Back to the top
That looks soooooooo phat! :drool:

I wanna do it too!  Could you give us the rundown of all the parts you needed for the conversion?  Is it just Carbs, fuel press. reg, fuel pump and manifold?  And the new block obviously!

Nice work simon and well done! 8)

Back to the top
i bought a set of carbs of ebay, inc postage was 13quid, bargin!!
manifold you can get made up for about 160ish quid, but i lookd at the manifold and it dont look that hard to make yourself actually. i used a polo 1.3gt engine running on electronic ignition that is used of the mk2 late carbd model useing the dizzy with hall sender wire loom from the hall sender to the coil and to the module. cant really tell you alot about the engine as i bought it of some one of here. im using a solid state fuel pump (facet) can be pciked up for about 15ish quid of ebay, and a filter king fuel pressure regulator with a return pipe to the tank for the excess fule to go this was about 68quid but you can pick them up of ebay for about 30ish but i wanted mine brand new and i needed it urgently.
using the same throttle and choke cables polo gt gearbox, didnt have to swop my driveshafts or engine mounts as it was a straight swop. just got to fiddle about with some water temp senders as the polo ones have to wires coming of the temp senders and mine had  wire to the gauge, any help on this would be appreciated ;)

any more info wantedlet me know and ill try my best to help if not ill try and find out for you

simon

<a href="

Back to the top
The Polo temp sensor just has an external earth. You can connect it to the small bolt on the engine lifting eye at the dizzy end of the engine.

Back to the top
Looking good Simon!

I bet it sounds fapping gorgeous!  :mrgreen:
You have given me some inspiration to get my ar*e in gear and sort out some tubing for my manifold!

Back to the top
:lol:  ive had this car for about 2ish years, and done bits and bobs, fort to my self this year ill get it on the road then that will make me pull my finger out and get some stuff sorted, lol. ive orderd some more hose. cost me 20 quid for a foot of blue silicone,
hopefully should be up and running on sat, then gona go and get the ar*e end out at the nearest roundabout! :lol:
will try and get some pics and video up on sat.

simon

p.s so i connect my wire to one of the terminals on the sender and the other terminal i connect to earth?? dont matter which one goes where?

chears!

<a href="

Back to the top
I've connected the blue/other colour wire to the golf loom and sent the other one to earth as this is how the Polo is wired. I think it matches the mk1 wiring colour too.

Back to the top
where did you get the manifold done in the end ?

Back to the top
i didnt personaly get it done, my manifold was bought with the engine, the last owner had it done by boogg brothers, about 160ish altis engineering also do it 07890591618 but my manifold looks like a proper good job nice welds etc, would reccomenf bogg brothers!

<a href="

Back to the top
Can you get a better picture of the manifold? Are the runners angled to suit the spacing of the carbs?

Back to the top
Oooh - that looks familiar *wink wink*

Really smooth and free reving motor that is!  Could do with an Ashley 4 branch manifold and a Piper cam but it's a real little screamer!

Have fun with it!! :D

Back to the top
what u mean that looks familer?? u seen it b4? :lol:  lol not actaully had it up and running properly to take it for a spin, is it good? im getting with draw symtoms with it now lol.

yea manifolds angled to meet the carbs, carbs sit on it with silicone hoses, will try and get a better pic this weekend for you.

simon

<a href="

Back to the top
I'm the lad who gave Matt all the information to build it and done a few bits on it (and caigned it about a bit).

Back to the top
ccol, by the sounds of it then u know your way around it then, ill bear that in mind when i have some probs if you dont mind. so what does it go like for a 1.3??

yea like u said its a very quite engine!

hopefully fingers crossd will be up and running on sat :D

<a href="

Back to the top

sim0n_parker said

ccol, by the sounds of it then u know your way around it then, ill bear that in mind when i have some probs if you dont mind. so what does it go like for a 1.3??

yea like u said its a very quite engine!

hopefully fingers crossd will be up and running on sat :D
Well it doesn't go like a normal 1.3! - lol - it feels far fitter than that!

It is really responsive, especially inthe mid range.  Real little screamer.

I drove a standard small block VW earlier this week and this is going to sound awful but - I'd forgot how slow they were (I've been driving moded Mk1 Golfs for too long - lol)

Back to the top
Do you fancy dredging the depths of your memory and telling us what's inside it? ;-)

Back to the top
hmm wudnt mind knowing if its something special, ;)

<a href="

Back to the top
thats what i was ment to say, do u know if it has had any headwork as the head looks like a brand spanking new head?  blocks abit dirty not like oil all over the place but u know whaqt i mean, then the heads shiny n all newish, if u know wht i mean.

simon

<a href="

Back to the top
Erm, you might want to email be Simon - steven.matthews@cheerful.com

Not sure how long I'll be able to help you as my posting style is objectionable.

As far as I know it's a standard 3F motor.  It had a leaking gasket when Matt bought it if I remember correctly which he sorted out before fitting the engine to the car.

It would be worth considering getting the head worked and a reproiled/performance cam fitted.

Me and Guy off PVW are on building a very similar high output unit from a 1.3 for a late Mk2 Golf at the moment.  Reprofiled cams are apparently cheaper (?90 to ?120) than Piper items but either are good.

There are two head designs.  One has the squish band/combustion chamber in the piston crowns, the other in the head.  If you've got them in your head you can skim it down to get the compression up a bit (although it is less important on a 3F as you are already running 10.5:1 instead of 9:1.

With head work, cam and a free flow exhaust, along with those carbs, you should be able to see a healthy 120 to 130 bhp ATF.

Best of luck!

Back to the top
Is the rev limit effected by all this work? Anything done to the bottom end in terms of strengthening?

Looking forward to hearing this. Make sure you make a video/recording and we'll upload the soundtrack!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.