Skip navigation

Dippas Dub

Back to the top

Dippas Dub

cheers guys, i have got hold of some 2" box steel ready to make my own up, i have seen a picture somewhere of the kind i wanted, cant find it :banghead:  :banghead:

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
Sounds like a bit of a mini-project in its own right! How are you going to make the parts which swivel the car? Perhaps you could obtain an old pair of stub axles (rear) and brake drums and then brackets to bolt these to?

I wish I'd thought of something like this 3 weeks ago. I removed the fuel tank and rear axle, to do some welding in the wheelarch area, but I've in fact found and welded 8 small sections underneath the car, and that's just the right hand side! I made the error of only raising the car enough to take the axle and fuel tank off, so there is only space to lie underneath the car.

Back to the top

mk1_FSI said

picture request guys, i saw a car stand which rotates 360 degrees to allow you to work on the underside, cant find the pic anymore, any1 got some pictures, cheers :dontknow:

You could try making up one of these

That post is also a great guide for loads of stuff as well as a cracking read

HTH

Rich

Back to the top

mcscrew said

mk1_FSI said

picture request guys, i saw a car stand which rotates 360 degrees to allow you to work on the underside, cant find the pic anymore, any1 got some pictures, cheers :dontknow:

You could try making up one of these

That post is also a great guide for loads of stuff as well as a cracking read

HTH

Rich

The frame/tilter in the linked thread bolts to the rear suspension mounts - something which might need to be cut away and replaced. Still, plenty of ideas here though…

Back to the top
thanks for the help guys, but this is what im making.

The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

thanks for finding the link ghandi, u no who you are, lol :lol:

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
hey all, bloody hell its been donkeys years since i last posted on here, truth is been really busy with work. Anyway have managed to make a bit of progress on wkends with the engine bay cleanup and new front end. I have also managed to pick up a few bits :lol:

Drivers side:

Passengers side, but may possibly change to drivers side, watch this space  :mrgreen:

Both sides being cleaned up :

Trial fitting new inner wings and new front panel :

Trial fitting early dash and wolfsburg wheel :

Picked up single clock binnacle :

My 13" Rims :

Quick question what is the small dent on the passenger side front inner wheel arch, have seen this on all mk1 golfs.

let me know what you think guys, cheers Dips

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
its where the air box sits…. i think…

nice work btw

Back to the top
cheers carbs, really enjoying your build its absolutly stunning, which shows will the car be ready for?

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
the old peoples home annual  "wish i had moved a bit quicker least i could have driven it before hitting 90" show

:lol:

haven't a clue when it will be ready  :dontknow: - lifting my cylinder head tonight from the porter/n/polisher then leaving it in on friday at my local engineers to get new guides/zaust studs/skim/vavle seats redone…

Then starting on the block…

Back to the top
well guys the old black GTI shell was to rotten to restore so had to be scrapped unfortunatly, good news though as ive managed to pick up an absolute minter of a shell.

Bit of a photoshop Before:

After:

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
Pimp-tastic  8)

What are you going to do with your old shell? Is the rest of it really too rotten to do anything with?

Rich

Back to the top
that new shell is clean as a whislte - good find!

Back to the top
yea it really is far more rotten than i first thought, rear arches right the way past inners, floor pan front and rears, fuel filler aperture, inner wings, wing mount rails, engine bay bulk head, scuttle, rear number plate area, rear panel the list is endless.  :banghead:  have scrapped the chassis now so hopefully will have some "Quicker"progress with this one.

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
hey all  :mrgreen: have had a busy few weekends working on the car and have managed to get the engine in place.

old unit out:

checking clearance for engine with mk1 GTI box in:

FSI going in

will start to fabricate the mounts for the engine and box. I will be using the mk3 16v box as there isnt enough clearance for the mk1 GTI box, the housing is longer than the mk3 box.

Any help will be appreciated, cheers Dips :mrgreen:

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
i was really enjoying the black shell refurb! boo!

only kidding!  :lol:

may I ask where you got your new front panel for the other shell? and can you remember costs?

cheers, Andrew

Back to the top
8O WOW,

Looks a tight squeeze.  Bet you cant wait to fire it up :twisted:

Banner

Back to the top
I like that! 8)

Back to the top
8) that'll go well when it's finished

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
hey all cheers for feed back, yea is a squeeze but suprisingly not as bad as i first thought. have bolted the gearbox on now so on with the fabriation of mounts :banghead:

the front panel was from GPC in Luton, they can get most bits. There are also a few on ebay for a reasonable price.

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
Looks good bud, i'm very impressed. My mate Sam told me to look out for your posts. :lol: He's love's cooking and vw's.

ghandi
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.