Skip navigation

it's over for me!

Back to the top

it's over for me!

:cry:

we are selling our mk1 after a wonderful 5 year relationship of being our only car and daily driver.
we have been in denial for a couple of months, but now we've been unfaithfull and bought a nice 'family' car. so that the git can hopefully have a happy retirement from the rigours of the modern world. or something….

believe me we are gutted and resigned to it at the same time. we have been round the houses so many times about the convenience versus classic, type debates.

anyway before i start beefing and someone thinks i'm trying to advertise.

the mk1 has gotten into my sole and i feel so bad to be selling up. hopefully one day soon i'll be able to afford another one?

it's been good!

git
 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Back to the top
Do you need to sell, keep it in the garage :wink:

My daily driver is the golf, the wife has the "Family Car" :D

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
believe me we are gutted and resigned to it at the same time. we have been round the houses so many times about the convenience versus classic, type debates

Can't fault you , its not easy using an old car as a daily driver especially where wimen [no offence intended] are concerned .  Shame you can't have both .

Cheers…………………

Back to the top
who says you cant have both! (no offence taken)
mines a daily driver and gets used more than my other halfs mk4turbo.
Anyway i've tried newer golfs and a corrado and still come back to mk1s

Bet git doesnt last long without one(he will see one on the road and think Mmm….maybe i will !!)

Back to the top
aye wise words, ill second that like, git u will be back mate, least i hope so, 5 years is a long time, u dont get the scuffed knuckles like u do on the old ones mate. take it easy and cya soon :D

Back to the top
If you have nowhere to store it and you're confident you can get a good price for the car, then I can see where you're coming from. Bear in mind, though, its a buyer's market out there, especially at this time of year, so if you can possibly afford it, might just be worth hanging on to it. Can't you put it in the back garden or something???

Like this!

Back to the top
now we've been unfaithfull and bought a nice 'family' car.
When me and my two brothers were growing up, all my parents ran were 3-door Mk1 Golfs BECAUSE they were the ideal family car.  Children havn't gotten any bigger have they?

Back to the top
Um yes kids are getting bigger  :lol:

also it depends how many you have!

i also have to say that 3 door cars are a pain with children in car seats.

if a different car is more convenient and makes life less stressful then i can completely understand! we can't all have umpteen cars for every occassion. if the golf was making life difficult with children etc then keeping it seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face in my opinion.

we're soon to have two children in a 5 door mk1 which i think will be fine but im sure they'll be moments when im cursing not having a large truck!

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top
You've also got to bear in mind that a mk1 is not exactly start of the art when it comes to road safety in terms of a crash.

I'm very aware of this when I go out in the mk1 after driving my Audi with 8+ airbags.

It's not that the mk1 is unsafe, it's just that in collision with a newer, heavier car, the occupants of a mk1 are toast at anything above 30 mph. Did you see what happened when they crashed a mk2 Golf into a Mk4? Not pretty for the mk2, let alone a mk1.

When you're carrying around your nearest and dearest, safety matters. There is always the 'other' driver to consider.

It's tough, but I know exactly where you're coming from.

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
dear all

thanks for the support. unfortunately no garage and cant afford or justify running two cars. and can't leave it on the drive to rot.

and no you're right steve children haven't got any bigger since the seventies/eighties but unfortunately mk1 golfs have aged quite a bit since then.
there is a point in every car's life when it reaches a harmony of cheapness and reliability. for the mk1 this was probably during the years that the 'new' mk2 was fashionable, which will have made it the ideal choice for a cheap- reliable- daily driver- kid taxi.

i'm sure we will be back. i just hope the prices don't go too mad before we are.

you cannot imagine how difficult this decision has been for us. we have become died in the wool mk1 owners in the last 8 years and two mk1's.

i love the git to bits and would much rather drive round in a lovelly mk1 of any marque- gti/diesel/carb/caddy/cabby/citi, than a soul-less modern piece of tin.

at the moment we can't have it both ways and i'm sure every time we see a mk1 on the road we'll be green with envy and whoevers driving it will be thinking- why's that wierd salivating couple waving at me from that soul-less piece of tin?

cheers
mark
 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Back to the top
You've also got to bear in mind that a mk1 is not exactly start of the art when it comes to road safety in terms of a crash.

I'm very aware of this when I go out in the mk1 after driving my Audi with 8+ airbags.

It's not that the mk1 is unsafe, it's just that in collision with a newer, heavier car, the occupants of a mk1 are toast at anything above 30 mph. Did you see what happened when they crashed a mk2 Golf into a Mk4? Not pretty for the mk2, let alone a mk1.

When you're carrying around your nearest and dearest, safety matters. There is always the 'other' driver to consider.

It's tough, but I know exactly where you're coming from.

Cheers,

Drew.

Don't crash it then!!

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

There is always the 'other' driver to consider.

Don't crash it then!!

:wink:

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top

dubgrrl said

i also have to say that 3 door cars are a pain with children in car seats.

Not only is it impratical with the kids in the seat, but it's also near impossible to fit a lot of car seats to 3 door cars, you just can't get enough pull on the seatbelt to secure the seat, and when you do, you always pull it out of the silly plastic clips Grrrrrr!

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
Glad someone with experience of children and car seats understands!  :wink:

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top
Hey you 2 you must have loads of room in a tin top!! Try getting all the necessary stuff in a Cabby!!!

Child seat in the front, changing bag in the foot well, rear seat folded forward to allow the smaller push chair into the 'boot'!!! Now thats cramped motoring. I havent even dared to have the top down with      Baby Dub in it yet!!! (8 months today!!)

However… On the weekend of Gaydon last year we took 2 cars down to Htfield so I could get over to the meet in mine and wifey could stay down there longer…. Guess which car Amy was happier in, yep my Cabby Good Girl!!!! But as Drew says its always a worry about a crash and you can never cater for 'the other driver' doing something iffy

Back to the top
No limitation on how high things can be piled up in a cabby with the roof down though!  :lol:

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top
No limitation on how high things can be piled up in a cabby with the roof down though!

Just watch out for motorway bridges? - lol

There was 3 of us (me and my 2 bros) and my mam and dad coped fine with Mk1 3-door Golfs…

Back to the top

Dano said

as Drew says its always a worry about a crash and you can never cater for 'the other driver' doing something iffy

I've seen a few Mk1's after some big crashes and they fair pretty well for an old car!

Back to the top
It's true I had a small crash in my mk1 into the back of an M reg merc (whilst staring at a beauty mk2 on splits parked on the roadside :oops: ).  Only doing about 20mph, and ?2000 worth of damage to the merc was quite surprising when all I needed was a new wing! 8)
  The merc had to go on a jig! 8O

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

It's true I had a small crash in my mk1 into the back of an M reg merc (whilst staring at a beauty mk2 on splits parked on the roadside :oops: ).  Only doing about 20mph, and ?2000 worth of damage to the merc was quite surprising when all I needed was a new wing! 8)
  The merc had to go on a jig! 8O

The reason it went on a jig, was because you hit the crumple zone which is designed to readily deform. A newer car will (most likely) have airbags, side impact bars, seat belt tensioners, inertia crash cutoffs, etc. It will be heavier and some of the weight is due to thicker safety cell metal. Also bear in mind that a Mk1 Golf may well have weak areas (affected by corrosion) which cause the safety cell to tear, and once the joins have torn, will be much weaker than designed.

?2000 of damage for a Mercedes isn't that much, have you seen the prices of the dealers workshops???

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.