Skip navigation

Golf Rivage

Back to the top

Golf Rivage

Hi there! Whilst searching for a replacement tailgate for my 91 Rivage I stumbled across this mighty fine website. It's good to know that there's so many like minded people out there!

I have a beautiful Rivage in green and she was rather brutally broken into by some evil person a few weeks ago. They tried to lever off the door handle, and when that didn't work, they made a big old hole in the tailgate next to the lock - hence looking for a new one. I have piccies but can't seem to work out how to add them!

My question is - does anyone know about the colours of the Rivage? I've read so many conflicting opinions about VW making less blue ones, less green ones, ones with leather seats, cloth seats etc etc. Now I'm curious to know whats what! Does anyone know?

Ah, and if anyone knows where I can get a tailgate that would be a great help too……

Thanks! :lol:

Back to the top
Hi and welcome! Walt is your 'Rivage man' - He's got a 1 owner (prior to him) 12,000 mile car which is you could say pretty mint!!

I think that the Rivage came in your green, the blue and a metalic red. I'm sure walt will tell you though! Do a search on his posts and you'll see the pics of his!

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks hairyarse! I can't say that mine is in such good condition, especially after the whole being broken into. Plus my mileage is more around the 138,000 mark!

Funnily enough, when I was outside taking pictures of the car's damage, my Tesco shopping was delivered. The driver was a complete Golf nut and told me about an amazing blue Rivage he's seen at shows that had only done about 12,000 miles. Maybe it belongs to Walt?!

Back to the top
Blauster - i should have all the parts you want

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

Blauster said

The driver was a complete Golf nut and told me about an amazing blue Rivage he's seen at shows that had only done about 12,000 miles. Maybe it belongs to Walt?!
I'd put money on it! :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
There aren't many Blue Rivages with 12k miles on!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top

You are not gonna believe this!

I just wrote a massive comprehensive reply to this! Took me over half an hour to write! But for some reason failed to submit! Then when I tried to go back it had vanished into thin air! Can't be jiggered writing it again!  :(

Back to the top
It was probably too big for a single post… you'll have to serialise it in the Sunday Times Supplement. :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
Oh no! That's such a shame Walt, thanks anyway. I shall look forward to the motoring section in The Sunday Times this weekend…..

Back to the top

Rivage!

Ok then installments it is!
Colours! UK Metalic blue pearl and metalic green pearl! Also in Germany mealic burgundy but the Rivage was called the Classic line over there!
Interior, the green Rivage was only available in cream leather, whereas the blue had the option of cloth / velour or leather! The leather models according to the brochure had a catalitic converter resulting in the bhp dropping from 112 to 95…This also made the car slightly less efficient! 0-62 suffered too! The non cat being 10.1 and the cat being 11.2..But who really cares about that!
I am lead to believe that the Green are rarer, whether this is down to the fact that they only came with leather and as such were more expensive, or people preffered blue, or they just made fewer in green? The sportline has a similar story with the black being rarer than the red!

Back to the top
You need a spell check :dontknow:

mk1 silver campaign totally standard lowered on coilovers magic tree vanilla

Just had a full outer body restore

Back to the top

Rivage!

Wheels were 15" Le castellet forged alloys! This means that they can be polished or bead burnished to a mirror finish and by all accounts are affected a lot less by the elements! Another example of a forged alloy is the similar Porsche design 90 wheel!
There was also a 14" version available so be careful on ebay if you are after a set!
Tyres are 195 50 R15 82v and not 185 55 R15 stated in the brochure! I am on my original tyres which are Pirelli P600 195 50 R15 82v.

Back to the top

Rivage!

As for numbers! I asked VW Customer services how many were made for the uk and was told 250, however I have spoken with other owners who have been told different figures from the same department! Give them a call and see what they say! I would be interested to know what they tell you? Most were on a J and K with a few creeping over onto an L reg! I have seen a couple of other L reg sportline's and Rivages knocking about but not many as the mk3 cab was available from a K reg onwards! The Rivage and Sportline models were line out models and had pretty much all the extras available at the time, mfa, power hood, green tinted, heat insulating glass, electric windows, Heated front seats on Rivage, Recaro's on Sportline etc etc etc Have I missed anything?
Oh and DjEv You are going to need a dentist!  :evil:

Back to the top
Your so borin walt :banghead:. Nobodies that intrested that you have write posts that take up a page.
Bring some gumshields and a headguard for next week :evil: Oh and a wheelchair to get home  :pray:

mk1 silver campaign totally standard lowered on coilovers magic tree vanilla

Just had a full outer body restore

Back to the top

Dj Ev said

Your so borin walt :banghead:. Nobodies that intrested that you have write posts that take up a page.
Bring some gumshields and a headguard for next week :evil: Oh and a wheelchair to get home  :pray:

:lmao:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hi Guys im new to the site and also a very proud Rivage owner,  :D  :D (Blue, '91 J plate, 74K, Cloth interior with some subtule mods that i hope you like) gonna posts some pics soon as its currently in the paint shop getting a few panels resprayed - damn stone chips!! :evil:

Walt you certainly know your stuff and would agree with all youve said, defenatly no cat in mine just a straight through powerflow system, ahh the joys of having a pre K reg vdub.

Blauster, real shame about the tailgate man perhaps an oppurtunity to delock and flush though - eurolook?? Theiving Nomads!!

G-Ride

Back to the top

Re: Rivage!

walt said

As for numbers! I asked VW Customer services

..I came up with this from sales info supplied by VW……

Walt, that is some little sermon…… :clap:  :clap:

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top

Rivage!

Thanks Prowler! Are the figures in that chart actual sales figures? From what I remember there was a little confusion? I would love to know the exact number, but there are so many conflicting numbers from different sources that I don't think even VW know anymore!  :dontknow:

Back to the top
WOW! You lot are amazing. In less than 24 hours I have a more than comprehensive history of my car, Crazyquiff has got a tailgate I can buy AND I've learnt a lot about DJ Ev and Walts relationship! Marvelous, thanks a million. GREAT site! :notworthy:  :cheer:

Back to the top
walt ….these are compiled from finalised yearly sales charts for the UK that I was kindly given copies of. I was told that these are the correct figures, BUT do not include vehicles imported privately.

Servicemen/women could buy RHD cars in Germany - virtually to any spec they wanted - and brought them over as personal imports (as I did with an Audi 100 GL5S). Therefore there may be some RHD vehicles in the UK with non UK specifications, and obviously some LHD…..

The chart is UK sales only…..and no-one can tell me why there is an odd 1 for Clipper, Sportline or Rivage Leather !!!!

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.