Skip navigation

DVLA Threat to 'Modified' Cars

Back to the top

DVLA Threat to 'Modified' Cars

Bert… i actually work on the MOT Mismatch team at dvla.. .and although u might have to search the database for the vehicles… that database is not the DVLA database… and i will also add that 90% of the vehicles out there have a vehicle that in the model says "not stated" or is blank…

I also know that you can manually click and put in whatever make and model you want by keying it in..

I will say this.. The mot mismatch team in dvla are simply there to try and make sure your records are correct.

Mot testers key in the wrong VRMs… they key in the wrong chassis numbers… they key in the colour wrong…

But also you might not notice but there are a high percent of vehicles that for example… J78 PPK… is on the log book at J87 PPK, So the plates were made up wrong.. yet people never check their plates in comparison to whats on the v5.

With regards to inpsections.. I recently had a Beetle inspected that had a convertible conv take place… when it went in for the mot the beetle was basically running a different chassis.. When the vehicle had been converted they had simply bolted the body of one car onto the chassis of another…

The inspection carried out then tries to check out which car it is more like and issue it with the plate that this suits… we dont dish out Q plates willy nilly…

Back to the top
Flippin eck Dicky - You actually made some sense there!!!

You get those windows working in the Cab?

Back to the top
Im havin trouble findin otut he reg of my mark1, as i bought it with no numberplates and no docs, only have the chassie number to go by! but as for the engine code ect, what if your engine blew up and you had to change it, surley you wouldnt have to notify the dvla with a replacment of the same size!

My 2 tone project!

Back to the top
The Vin number is the identity of the vehicle…

phone this no. 0870 240 0010 and give them the vin no. and im sure they will be able to aid you in finding the vrm for your vehicle..

bearing in mind that if a vehicle hasnt been on the road for a certain length of time it might need to be re-registered.

and as for you Al.

Ye ive only put one mech in but the window goes up and down.. need to make a guide rail on the inside of the door card so that the window doesnt rock on the leccy window mount.

Back to the top

Baz said

Im havin trouble findin otut he reg of my mark1, as i bought it with no numberplates and no docs, only have the chassie number to go by! but as for the engine code ect, what if your engine blew up and you had to change it, surley you wouldnt have to notify the dvla with a replacment of the same size!

Yes you do need to inform them of the new engine number!

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
ye but we dont bite trust me…

a lot of vehicles out there have "not stated" as their engine no. lol

im letting all the trade secrets out here

Back to the top
dicky whats the deal then if i wished to put a different engine into a mk1 mate?
cheers,
paul

Back to the top

dicky_morris said

Mot testers key in the wrong VRMs… they key in the wrong chassis numbers… they key in the colour wrong…

they are also correcting a lot of mis information. Wrong colours, estate cars which are listed as vans……

that is until they work out how to bypass this  :wink:

Back to the top
Its really not hard for them to bypass it… if the vehicle doesnt come up in the  manufactorers listings then they can key it manually…

I love it… Fiesta is a common one… Feista … didnt anyone ever teach them i before e exept after C.

dicky whats the deal then if i wished to put a different engine into a mk1 mate?
cheers,
paul

if its exactly the same engine then all you have to do is to fill out the V5c with the new engine number and theyll change it…

but i dont know the whole legalities of putting a bigger engine in etc.. Due to changes in tax class etc.

Back to the top

dicky_morris said

Its really not hard for them to bypass it… if the vehicle doesnt come up in the  manufactorers listings then they can key it manually…

I love it… Fiesta is a common one… Feista … didnt anyone ever teach them i before e exept after C.

cheers,
paul

if its exactly the same engine then all you have to do is to fill out the V5c with the new engine number and theyll change it…

but i dont know the whole legalities of putting a bigger engine in etc.. Due to changes in tax class etc.

All Golf Mk1s are going to be registered before March 2001, so tax is based on cubic capacity, ie above/below 1549cc. This means if you put a larger engine in, and go from one to the other, you need to pay higher tax next time you but it. Its not illegal to put a larger engine into a Mk1.

Back to the top
yes i understand that its not illegal to drop a bigger lump in…

but im not 100% sure whether it will have to have an SVA test etc depending on the lump u put in..

and whether u change suspension, brakes, bodywork etc
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.