Skip navigation

Gearbox dumped oil on the road

Back to the top

Gearbox dumped oil on the road

When the other half got home in my Black Campaign I noticed some oil on the road - smells like box oil.

Looked under car and there was a big puddle - looks like the while box contents.  8O

No noises or nuffink.

Not seen this so bad before.  Have not had time or light to have a gander to see where it might have come from.

Could be:

Drain plug fallen out
Drive shaft seals
Front shaft seal
Front shaft nose seal
A hole of some sort
….

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Ooh er!!! Nasty!

The box is too far up to get a good srape on something too isn't it?

Has the box shown any signs of leaking previously?

Let us know that you find, hope its not too bad!

Back to the top
No leaks - no warnings - looks like it happened when she stopped

Back to the top
A hole of some sort

Hope not Rich but i know a man who sells spares  :wink:

Seriously , hope its minor keep us posted .  

Cheers……..

Back to the top
My GTI holed its gearbox a couple of years ago. As I recall it's said to be a common occurence on MK1's & 2's where I think one of the differential rivets works loose and fires itself through the gearbox housing. Mine left a trail of oil and it contaminated the clutch which then began to slip.

There's another entry that explains it in more detail…

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=179

Hopefully it's not this. :pray:
My local garage really struggled to source another box but if yours is holed then I would guess you won't have that trouble.

DubPartz

Back to the top
D'OH!  :cry:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Did the car come back a bit muddy? Tyres worn, No petrol in the tank? The engine smells a bit hot?

Seriously the other car we have did the same. Seat Ibiza 1.4 8V. Found out after taking the box off that a huge hole appeared. Somthin came adrift and smashed a hole in the side. Had to get another box in the end. Best of luck rich, just hope its a seal or somthin.

Back to the top

DubPartz said

My GTI holed its gearbox a couple of years ago. As I recall it's said to be a common occurence on MK1's & 2's where I think one of the differential rivets works loose and fires itself through the gearbox housing. Mine left a trail of oil and it contaminated the clutch which then began to slip.

I have been hearing a noise like that above, sounded like the flywheel was checking some thing about in my bell housing. So took the cover off. well bent it back a bit and found a little rivit thing sat engine side of the fly wheel. it was just sitting there. so took it out and job done. Good know whats its off.

It could make a nice hole in the box, see the pic below

Cheers
Tucker

Back to the top

gearbox

hi it very hard for drive shaft seals to go . i would check the box for cracks . it is common for later boxs to crack caused by diff . have changed a couple for this reason . hope this help

Back to the top
Looks like oil has come from the diff area.  Good job I've a couple 9A boxes in stock  :D

Back to the top
Finally got round to having a look under my campaign  :roll:

Can't see any holes in the diff casing.  Box sounds fine and car drives OK.

Oil looks to be coming from the driverside drive flange seal - So I think I'll have a go at changing that first before ripping the box out.

Any one got any thoughts?

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
Hi Rich,

I changed the seals when the box was out on mine. Still a bar-steward of a job when it?s on a bench. The flange is held under pressure with a big spring that you have to push against to replace the circlip. I had to use a long bolt and lengths of metal to pull the flange back on, this then leaves no room to get the circlip on! Must be almost impossible from underneath the car, esp drivers side. :banghead:

I think this is one of those jobs that the longest way is actually the quickest. :lol:

Seeing as you will have to remove one drive shaft anyway you have done a lot of the work involved in removing the entire box. :dontknow:

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Ordered a flange kit from VW (and a new set of injectors for the Cab  :D )

Gonna give it a go doing the seal with the box in the car  8O

Worst comes to worst will have to pull the box :ugh:

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
Good luck with it! you have 6 days  :lol:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top

PhillTMK1GTI said

Good luck with it! you have 6 days  :lol:

:lol:  :lol: :lol:

Might have to drive the Pug  :twisted:

Ha ha - nooooooooo

Back to the top

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
OK - done the flange seal in situ - was really quite straight forward to be honest  :D

But the bad news - filled it up with oil and it started running out between the splash plate and bell housing  :twisted:

So i guess I've got a hole inside the bell housing  :twisted:  :twisted:

best get the box ouit then!!!

Back to the top
That sounds like the diff centre pin losing its circlip.  It happened to me too, on a mk2, after I ran over a pot hole (caused by poor road works  :evil: ).  There was an awful loud bang though as it smashed the inside of the bell housing.  It happened to my brothers in law on two other mk2s as well.  Good luck CQ - Big

Back to the top
Thanks big - yes looks like a hole - not got round to pulling the box yet though....

Back to the top
Just taken my golf out for a spin, noticed that there was some oil on the drive :( Been out to check it where its parked and theres more oil on the floor already. Its kind of a reddish colour, is it likely to be the gear box oil?

Is it likely the gear box is holed? Gears seem to be ok, though theres a kind of rattling sound when i go to accelerate especially in the higher gears.

Im worried that i scraped it on the drive the other day too, would this be enough to cause a hole?

Only just got this mk1 and im praying its not gonna have to have major work straight away.

Any ideas?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.