Skip navigation

MK1 GL Auto

Back to the top

MK1 GL Auto

Manufacturers do much work to design their braking systems so that the front/rear bias is correct. Since this varies with load, thats why there is a compensating valve which is based on suspension displacement.

…but only on SOME Mk1 Golf - which is what this website is for afterall.

Have you ever been out in one that's been lowered and the rear bias valve hasn't been adjusted?  *spin spin spin crunch!*

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

Manufacturers do much work to design their braking systems so that the front/rear bias is correct. Since this varies with load, thats why there is a compensating valve which is based on suspension displacement.

…but only on SOME Mk1 Golf - which is what this website is for afterall.

I don't understand, VW designed all Mk1 Golfs, right?

Back to the top

Wrong - Ital Design designed the Mk1 Golf.

Only some Mk1's are fitted with a rear brake bias valve - what's not to understand?

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

Only some Mk1's are fitted with a rear brake bias valve - what's not to understand?

I got you now! Feel free to call me bird brain of Britain, if you like!

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

Not 100% correct. Much of Giugiaro's original design was changed by VW's Herbert Schaefer for production. For example, the headlamps were changed from rectangular to round and the bonnet lengthened.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Steve_Matthews said

Not 100% correct. Much of Giugiaro's original design was changed by VW's Herbert Schaefer for production. For example, the headlamps were changed from rectangular to round and the bonnet lengthened.

If we get into specifics, then Ital Design only really designed the basic shape, styling elements (some which were changed) and probably (not sure) dashboard and seats. VW developed the floorpan, inc suspension, brakes, electrics, etc. I know the big block engines were originally an Audi design, I'm not too sure about the small block…..

Back to the top
Have you seen the car that VW designed?  The 1969 prototype?  It's horible!!

What does any of this have to do with rear brake efficiency anyway?

So what you are saying is that Ital Design DESIGNED the car and VW's production team translated that original design into a viable product for economic mass production?  All VW's modifications were to the original design of the car - ie. they didn't throw the Ital Design masterpiece in the bin and start again then?!?

Back to the top
Maybe I should have said "some" rather than "much" of the design was changed by VW. But when you look at the Giugiaro design compared to the final one influenced by VW it does look quite different IMO. The change to round headlamps from rectangular and moving the indicators down to the bumper does make the car look very different and these are now what people think of as key characteristics of the Mk1.

Banner

Back to the top
Hello everyone!

Got the new bumpers fitted, although they need a bit of persueding still cuz in places the fit isnt too good. Also need to put the chrome strip down them as theyre all black.

Also fitted a new alternator and this has cured the starting problems.

She went off this morning for her second MOT, good as gold, no dramas so Im hoping she will pass!

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top
WOOOOHOOOOOO SHE PASSED!!!

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top

dubgrrl said

What was the fix for the brakes then? LOL

Back to the top
Haha! You want to know?

Well….

New rear drums have sorted it.

No mention in this mot of this compensating valve thingy so all good!!

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top

dubgrrl said

Haha! You want to know?

Well….

New rear drums have sorted it.

No mention in this mot of this compensating valve thingy so all good!!

Good news!

Its always been a bit of a dilemma. If your car fails its MoT on brakes, and the fix is to replace pads/shoes/discs/drums, then of course the new ones sometimes need bedding in, before up to full efficiency. Problem is, this takes 100 miles or so to do properly. So, you can find yourself in a 'catch-22' situation! The only real solution is to let the garage do it, they'd replace the parts and some of them wouldn't even bother to put it onto the rolling road again. Others would accept a low efficiency brake system, knowing its going to get better. And others would 'bed them in' on the rolling road. Hmmmmm………food for thought, if your brakes are bad and you have an MoT coming up……..

Back to the top
I do! The sportline failed on rear off side brake and handbrake. Hopefully it'll be fine next time round on Wednesday!

Yesterday I replaced the whole lot for piece of mind on both sides… drums, wheel bearings, shoes, cylinders and fitting kit.

I've taken it for a spin down the lanes and it seems ok. The handbrake's loads better. I should have checked it all out before putting it through. Lesson learned!

I'd had a look through the back plate inspection hole and the lining looked dry with plenty of lining left. When I removed the drum I found the cylinder had only weeped slightly but enough to get on the linings. The drum's surface had become oval and it had worn to the max diameter (think it was the original drum). The drum the otherside had been replaced at some point but you're supposed to replace them in pairs so I did.

If it fails again I'll be even more :evil: and… get stung another ?44  :banghead:

Back to the top

Fantastic stuff!!

(I'll have an MOT'd Mk1 by Friday too - hurrah - the summer is a comin' (after the ice finishes taughting me!))
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.