Skip navigation

1990 clipper cutting out problem

Back to the top

1990 clipper cutting out problem

ian is yours working ok when warm mate?

Back to the top
when we checked my spark, it went from blue to a yellow colour. Since then the coil & distibuter was replaced. On a quick note I chcked again last night & I dont seem to be getting even warm air form the manifold to airfilter pipe when i disconnected the air filter end & chceked..could this be the problem?   also I was told to watch the chke with the filter off, when i pressed the gas(not runing) the choke closed completely, then when starting it stayed open..i think this is worng, can anyone confirm.

Back to the top
Yup you?re correct; it should stay shut till the engine warms up. It should gradually, slowly move back to the upright position. It?s controlled by the spring inside the auto choke housing... There are two water pipes connected to this. A little lever is connected to the spring and as the spring get heat it pulls the lever back and moves the choke flap

Back to the top
HI EVERY1
SORRY TO BUTT IN, BUT I AM HAVING A VERY SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY 1.8 1991 CLIPPER CAB. I AM UNFORTUNATLY HAVING TO RUN IT THROUGH THE WINTER MONTHS. MY PROBLEM IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THEN THE OTHERS, MY CAB HAS BEEN FITTED WITH A MANUAL CHOKE AT SOME POINT, AND WHEN COLD AND ON FULL CHOKE STARTS OK AFTER A FEW PUMPS OF THE ACCELERATOR AND WILL VIRTUALLY RUN ON ITS OWN AFTER A FEW MINS. BUT WHEN IT GETS WARM ITS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. 1ST IT WILL CUT OUT AS I COME TO A JUNCTION (FULL CHOKE OR NOT), SO I HAVE TO KEEP IT RUNNING WITH MORE REVS, THEN AS IT GETS WARMING IT STARTS TO  MISS FIRE SOMETIMES BAD ENOUGH TO KEEP ME STOOD STILL AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS.  :banghead:
ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :D , THE ONLY THING I HAVE DONE SO FAR IS NEW PLUGS AND LEADS, WHICH MADE NO DIFFERENCE WHAT SO EVER.
THANK KENNO

Back to the top
My problems are only immediately after starting from cold.  Once its been running for a couple of mins and when hot it's fine.  Might have to have a look at whether the choke stays shut when the accelerator is pushed as Andy suggested.  Checked the plugs last week and one was somewhat sooty, but I think that might be where it's missing on startup  :dontknow:

Cheers

Ian

'89 Clipper Auto and '92 GTI Cabby

Back to the top
Kenno - sounds like it might be overfuelling when warm, requiring adjustment of the carb - anyone else agree?

Ian

'89 Clipper Auto and '92 GTI Cabby

Back to the top
I had an old 1300 golf that did that. Pulled up hard to a junction and the dam thing cuts out. Restart ok just at every junction tho. Found out the mixture was a little lean, so a tweak on the screw did it justice.

Back to the top
YES SOUNDS LIKE THAT IS VERY POSSIBLE, SO WILL IT JUST TAKE A BIT OF ADJUSTMENT OF THE CARB TO SORT, BUT WHY THE MIS-FIRING WHEN WARM, OR DO YOU THINK THAT WOULD BE UN-RELATED TO THE CUTTING OUT.
IF SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT COULD BE, ITS HAD THE OBVIOUS LEADS AND PLUGS

THANKS KENNO

Back to the top
Ohh hell! umm misfire could be anything really. just for info what engine have you got?

Back to the top
MY ENGINE IS A 1.8 CARB, ITS IN A 1991 CLIPPER

Back to the top

Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed gents, in under 2 hours I get my clipper back!!!  Weber/manual choke conversion!!!!   please please please come back to daddy!!!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.