Skip navigation

Its not Vag, its my PUG daily driver.

Back to the top

Its not Vag, its my PUG daily driver.

Picked it up today, i know its not a VW,  :oops: HDI and goes like stink

But i am going to be buying the VW micro Bus when it is out for sale,
wife can drive it then. :wink:  

I had a 03 model before but had to buy this one when they changed the front end, very happy with it so far, so many mod cons :mrgreen:

Reason for the big car = 6 dogs

Darren :D

Back to the top
Ahh…. the family man :wink:

You can join matt in the pug club now! :D  :wink:

Should've brought a mk1 pick up, bit cold for the dogs though! :lol:

See you 2moro at cribs, not looking froward to the traffic 8O

Oh yea got a cl splitter now, fed up with smashing the gti one the bits :D

Back to the top
Not sure about the front end :?  The 306/406 were much better looking, but the new ones drive well. Still not sold my 306 TD. It went on Ebay but the bloke never turned up to pay for it or collect it :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

We've just got a load of MK5 Golfs and new Passats at work. Very nice 8)

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
It's hideous.  What did you do that for?!?  You can buy Golf Estates you know.  Of Alfa Romeo Sport Wagens, or Audi Avants, or BMW Tourings, or a thousand different things.

My view of these things is tained like 'coz this guy that got made Operations Manager where I used to work had one and I hated him and I had a row with him infront of the Managing Director and I stormed out in a huff.

Oh well, nevermind eh?  That company is now ?80k adrift and being investigated by the Inland Revenue - lol…

Back to the top
dude wid comments like that when someone has just spent alot of money, means you must be tidy, cause im not happy with your attitude, :evil:

can you not read the part where i am buying a micro bus :roll: i will buy what i like so keep your dum comments to yourself :evil:

Back to the top
Is it a 307 or a 407??

For the equivalent space, there's no VW equivalent - at the price. The VW Golf Plus is a little smaller, the Golf Estate is not as big as the 307SW either - and is still based on the Mk4, the Passat Estate is a little dearer, as is the T5 Multivan (but that's a lot bigger too). I can't even remember if they still sell the VW Sharon.

Did you look at the Skoda Octavia Estate? Its not VW but its probably its nearest equivalent and you'd be keeping it in the family.

I too, have a non-VW for day to day use……but I'll keep it quiet!

Back to the top
my wife picked it, as we had the old model and was very happy with so bought another one.

and i picked the Micro bus, when it comes out :roll:

i was not looking for good comment just not nasty ones, dont need them :(

Back to the top
My parents had 3x Mk1 Golfs in a row (2x series 1 and a series 2). Then a Peugeot 309, Citroen BX, VW Polo, Vauxhall Astra. Guess what? They now have a VW Lupo and a VW Golf (Mk4). Some things just come around again and again.....

Back to the top
bet you wish you still had the S1s  :lol:

i know what you mean, just comments that are nasty and s**t arnt good, and not what its all about :evil:

Back to the top
:D

Good choice for a roomy estate car and i will bet the dogs love it  :D Used to have Pug's before i got in to VW'S and could not fault them …….

Cheers……….

Back to the top
build quailty nowhere like vw,

but this one has a HDI with 136bhp so it goes ok :D

Darren

Back to the top

Daisy said

build quailty nowhere like vw,

but this one has a HDI with 136bhp so it goes ok :D

Darren

How much does it weigh, though, with all the safety equipment that modern cars have?

This is the thing, nobody will be able to manufacture another car like the Mk1 Golf GTI because today's regulations mean that cars are inevitibly heavier. It gained its reputation, partly on its lightness, as well as its power output available from the engine. Its all about power:weight ratio!

Back to the top
the same as a bus :lol:

with all the mods on it and 8 air bags :roll:

mk1s will always rule,

Back to the top

Daisy said

the same as a bus :lol:

with all the mods on it and 8 air bags :roll:

mk1s will always rule,

No worries though, any car you buy, VW included (in the family class, at least) will have the same problems with weight - and similar safety features. No doubt the wife wanted the car to be safe for the kiddies, etc.

You could always buy an older, more powerful and less safe car, but then you'd never feel the 'newness' of a modern one. Or benefit from accessories like a plastic engine cover, undertray, interior delicately sculpted in papier mache (door cards and trim); little buzzers to tell you when you're shoe laces are undone etc etc. Can you tell I'm not really into newer cars?

Back to the top
Right - lets sort this out then.

You don't like the fact that I hate your new car and stated that to be my opinion.

You said yourself "i was not looking for good comment just not nasty ones, dont need them" so could you therefore explain to me why you believed that posting pictures of a Pugeout on a VW enthusiast website would endeer you so much to the other users that they would sugarcoat their optinions?

I am absolutely sick and tired of petty people getting upset because they believe they are correct and will not accept any criticism, even that based in fact.

Look at the thing, just look at it.  Are you honestly telling me that you can put your hand on your heart and say that you believed that posting these images on this very website would not have caused anyone to take issue or offence and that all the people here, who are blatently into 30 year old cars from Germany, that not one single one of them would dislike it.

You are intesely unhappy with my comments.  All I stated is that it is a horrible looking car, indeed it typifies everything that is wrong with car design today and oh how I wish manufacturers would build the cars they want to instead of pandering to public opinion.  It was not a public panel or consumer survey that came up with the Mk1 Golf!

Then to send me a Private Message where you rub my nose in it with blatently self important comments such as "I can afford almost any car i like" - well whoopee, am I supposed to bow down in worthship of your superior wage packet?

I don't understand why you are suprised that I don't like it.  I am a dedicated, hardened and died in the wool VW Mk1 Golf enthusiast.  I own two of the things, plus a Mk1 Polo.  I like my cars to be purposeful, sharp, poised, rawcus and intense.

Having acually personally driven one of those (yes it was the HDI) I can honestly say that they do nothing for me, other than to perhaps make me greatful that I drive a VW on a DAILY (not regular, not when the sun is shining and the birds are singing) basis.

You are unhappy with me for me passing an opinion which does not agree with yours?

Is this my problem?

Well?

…and don't go sending sneaky PM's - let's sort this out right now because I think you may find this is a turning point for this website.

It's happened recently on PVW and to be fair, because it is frequented by honest, hard working, genuine VW enthusiasts - it was felt that the right to freely express ones opinion significantly outweighs those who think you should bite your tongue and hold back.

If you didn't want negative comments, can I ask why you didn't post the images on a Peugeout enthusiasts website?

I really don't understand this, you are going to have to explain it to me.  Please speak slowly though, I've spent the weekend underneath a Volkswagen Golf Mk1 GL Automatic replacing the rear wheel cylinders, brake pipes and brake shoes.  You know, taking the time to keep our beloved cars alive.

"when someone has just spent alot of money" is that it?

"cause im not happy with your attitude" and I should be happy with yours because?

"i was not looking for good comment just not nasty ones, dont need them" or is it that the last three words in this sentance hint at the real reason you were upset?

Let me guess, you've bowed under pressure from your wife to buy a sensible, practical, French, new, diesel, estate and you looked out your window and thought to yourself, hmm - wonder if I've done the right thing.  I'll post it up and every one will be nice and pretend to like it and then I won't feel so bad about the whole situation.

Well I'm sorry, I can't afford any car I want.  I'm sorry that my wife ran off and left me for a girl and now I have no one.  I'm sorry that I drive a 1977 Volkswagen every day.  I'm sorry that I'm tired but I have been repairing a Mk1 Golf (which was considerably more enjoyable than trawing round showrooms and talking about APR and deprecication and air bags I might add) and I'm sorry that I don't like your car.

What I am not sorry for is that I spoke - I passed my opinion, that is all I did.  There is NOTHING you can do to MAKE me like that car - it simply isn't going to happen.  In truth there is nothing you can even do to make me hate it ust a little bit less, except perhaps set it on fire.  That is how I feel about that car and I'm not sorry for it.

You have a problem?  Let's hear your rhetort.  Otherwise I suggest you appologise to someone who is bang into their Mk1 Golf, lives and breathes the things and thought he would be safe from this kind of non-VW abuse on a website DEDICATED TO THE MK1 GOLF!!!

I await your comments and invite any other users to OPENLY and FREELY pass their OWN HONEST OPINION - that is indeed the nature of the Internet and indeed humanity et al.

Back to the top
Should've got the passat in my opinion!

Owner of a Golf Driver 1.6 G Reg running
twin choke weber carb 32/34. More to come!

Back to the top
Steve i felt the way you started off your reply was a bit harsh. You just came over a bit like your word was the end all of the end all.

Im not having a go, i love my mk1 to, just when you where answering posts in the small block section, you attiude was all wrong (in my opion, which as you said we should all voice freely). When you answered the posts, you make the other members sound stupid, and that your so right, (which you probably are), just it's the way you go about it, that annoyed me, so wat if i dont get the information completey right, im still learning, and so are many people on this site, and i think it's great that this site has so much knowlegde to give, and i feel proud to be part of it.

Dont want to make enemys on here, just maybe change the way you chat to people who dont know as much as you.

Back to the top
You ever heard of the old adage "You've got to be cruel to be kind".

Back in 1999 when I built my first high performance 1.3 engine there were no sites like this I could go to and ask.  Everyone I spoke to in britain told be there was no point in tuning the 1.3 because they weren't up to it.

It was only after months of searching, conversations and telephone calls that I spoke to the owner of an independent VAG garage who revealed that he had friends in Germany who were racing 1.3 Polos which were making 130bhp.

Translated emails, bissare telephone calls, membership of the Polo club of Hamburg, international money transers and special shipping for parts from germany all ensued.

Result?  ?5k spent, one SERIOUSLY rapid Mk1 Golf Driver still running a 1.3 engine.

Wasn't all plain sailing either, I blew a motor up.  I had to devise my own wiring diagrams from databooks.  I had to have parts specially fabricated on a one off basis.  I had all kinds of problems to overcome, all of which I had to work out for myself.

When someone comes along who wants to build a high performance 1.3 engine - they speak to me.  There is another high performance Mk1 1.3 on here - belongs to Matt-Mk1 - who do you think gave him all the techincal data and advice on that?

You say something, you are wrong, I point out you are wrong, you can do one of two things;

1.  Listen to what I have to say and LEARN from it.

2.  Cry.

Choice is yours.  You lot are in danger of loosing some of that excellent expertise off this site for good.  That's not a threat 'coz I won't go out of spite - I'll go 'coz I can't stand to talk to the lot of you any more.

IS IT ME?!?

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

Steve i felt the way you started off your reply was a bit harsh. You just came over a bit like your word was the end all of the end all.

Having just read this thread for the first time, I agree with this observation. It's not necessarily what you type, it's the way it came across. Remember people reading something can interpret it 1000 different ways, so although you may have meant it in one way, it can come across to someone else in a different manar.

I always think an invaluable lesson to learn when posting on any public internet forum is to read the post back to yourself before posting, and make doubley sure it can't be interpreted wrongly. Adding words such as 'in my opinion.' at the end makes all the difference.

In my opinion there is no reason to somewhat harshly critisise someone elses choise in what they have brought, if you don't like it then by all means say so, but you shouldn't go telling that person in no uncertain terms what they should or shouldn't have done or brought. In my opinion your first post came across very agressively, and it was almost like you were stateing a fact than the opinion which it was.

Again all the above is my opinion, other people can and most definitely will have interpreted and read it differently.

Mike.  

By the way I quite like it, but wouldn't buy one, too big!!

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
I had a Pug106D reliable and never broke down on me. sold it before it did! Not much fun, and they're round every corner, thats all i have to say.  :dontknow:

As long as you still have your Retro - Daz.

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.