'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
:lol:  :lol:  STUDENTS

:pray: please pass .

Cheers mate chudd  ……

Back to the top
I'm riding with ……

'BEAKER'

the scientist form the Muppet Show. He ives in the N/S  dor pocket and sticks his head out from time to time…. he needs velcro on his back really to get a better view of things!!!

"" ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME "!!!!!

Dan

Back to the top
Well she's is in now. I've got to ring up at lunch.  :borg:
I think I think we should start a new thread called "I'm riding with ??????????"

Ok I'll start one!  :lol: I'm riding with.......

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Good luck.

If it fails on the wheel bearing it is just about possible to do it yourself in 24 hours - but make sure you don't knock the CV joing clip off while doing it - cos that's a fail as well….. :banghead:

Ali

Mars Red 1.8 GTi Cabrio 1985
Seat Covers
Scratches
Leaky roof
1 million smiles per hour

Back to the top
FAILED! :cry:

Both rear wheel bearings(I thought it was the front) :banghead: .

Steering rack boot split :banghead: .

Exhaust centre section support. (I thought it was a heat shield rattle) :banghead:

Sill needs welding and lower front panel near engine mount!  8O Big surprise there I thought she was rock solid. :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

I would do the work my self but:

1: I don't have the time because I've so many final year hand in's

2: M.O.T runs out tomorrow.

3. I would have to go home

4. It's wet and cold outside and I need a ramp to do the front panel welding.

5. I really can?t be arsed! :lol:  

So I've decided to let the garage do it. He said no more than ?250 inc V.A.T. (A hell of a lot of money for me at the mo!)

Oh no my insurance is due this month and my tax in Jan…… mumble, mumble, groan, groan!

Oh well this is the price you pay for owning mk1. Worth every penny! :mrgreen:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
That?s not too bad. New cars don?t need MOTs but main dealers know how to make out a bill. :o  Last service Clio had was ?400 8O , got stuffed for new disks and pads. ?200 for disks and pads! Receptionist laffed out loud when I said I'm here to pay for my diamond encrusted discs….

This seems to be the latest scam, mates brother just paid ?700+ to service his 2? year old still in warranty Focus. Every service they do him for new discs and pads. He wrote to Ford and they offered a little ? back.

You should have had it tested a month ago so you had some time to fix the easy stuff.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Do you think if I wrote to VW and said it simply is not good enough that my car needs welding they will give me some money back?! :lol:

I'll say "It's a VW its supposed to be invincible!" 23 years old and it's got rust, despicable! :posh:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
I had a major service on the Mk4 plus disks and pads all round and a broken window regulator changed - ?850 plus VAT. Outrageous !!!  Good job it's a company car (!)

Back to the top

kins said

Do you think if I wrote to VW and said it simply is not good enough that my car needs welding they will give me some money back?! :lol:

I'll say "It's a VW its supposed to be invincible!" 23 years old and it's got rust, despicable! :posh:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Ha ha! They will point you in the direction of the 6 year anti-corrosion warranty that came with the car.  :boohoo:

Banner

Back to the top
Well they can stick there anti-corrosion waranty where the sun does not shine! ha ha :lol:

A MK1 is for life not just for christmas!

Back to the top
Still feel incredibly lucky my cabriolet went straight thru only needing the handbrake cable!! Amazing for a 23yr old car.

I've yet to find any welding done on it either.

Bad luck kins on it failing, but it was nothing too major really, just a bummer things like that always crop up like that when you can least afford them, like just before christmas!!  

Hope you get her back on the road soon mate.

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
My Cabrio is going to need welding soon. :(

It'll get through an MOT at the moment, but the tinworm is spreading by the rear arches - not good.

But instead of paying the garage I'm seriously thinking about taking evening classes in welding - not so much because I think I'm a numpty that couldn't learn how to weld (although this may be true  :mrgreen: ) but because the places offering these courses are likely to have better welding equipment/clamps/rigs etc than I'm ever likely to be able to afford  :lol:

Plus they generally have nice warm garages  :D

And in most cases they let you bring your own car to work on - result!

Ali

Mars Red 1.8 GTi Cabrio 1985
Seat Covers
Scratches
Leaky roof
1 million smiles per hour

Back to the top
Back on the road Wahoooo! I have my magic green ticket! YES! Another years happy motoring.

Only cost me ?150 not ?250 bonus!

Exhaust mount fixed!
Steering rack gator fixed!
Rear wheel bearings just needed adjusting.
Small patch of welding on sill and front panel.
Re-MOT'd

8)

Back to the top
Sweet… :y: Good to hear you're back on the road.

Out of curiosity, did they pass it with it's magic tree in place? I heard they're pretty picky with stuff dangling from the rear view mirror these days…

Rich

Back to the top
Passed with magic tree! It's all good.  :lol:

Actually the owner of the garage took a real interest in the golf. He said it was "a good little bus"! I presume that?s a good thing :lol:.  We had a chat for a bout 10 mins or so. He showed a real interest and asked how much they are fetching nowadays.

It's nice to be appreciated for owning a true classic. 8)

Back to the top
Nice one kins - glad to hear its passed now. You should have told him its worth ?8k but u'd let him have it for ?6k!! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.