Skip navigation

M.O.T tomorrow...... GULP!

Back to the top

M.O.T tomorrow...... GULP!

I've got my M.O.T tomorrow…. GULP! Not sure I like this new system because you've no time to do any work that your car needs!  :evil:

Well it?s my first M.O.T with SMUY hopefully she will go through with flying colours! (fingers crossed) :pray:

Last week I changed the brake shoes. What a fiddly job. Picture me on my knees in the freezing cold (raining) trying to remember where all the springs go. What a mission. Anyway I've the best handbrake in the world now and I reckon could blitz any autotest! ha ha  :lol:
I also put my 9 bars back on for winter as I don?t want to get my Turbo's corroded with all the salt on the roads and the 9 bars have good rubber.

Today I've put my legal plates (non German) on and reconnected the standard horn. No Awooooooga for Mr M.O.T man. I've given her a good clean too.

Only thing I know needs doing is a noisy front wheel bearing. Not sure if I'll fail on that because when I jack her up and spin the wheel you can't hear it. There is a droning noise at over 50mph though so it needs doing.

Wish me luck!

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Good luck mate! least you've got a car to MOT  :(  Still no news from the police on mine.

Back to the top
Thanks Munkey!

She'll turn up I'm sure. I'm still keeping an eye out. :)

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
good luck buddy :wink:

Back to the top
Are you going for the MoT with the lowness, or have you wound it up a little bit?

Back to the top
Trouble with the new mot system is they cant give you the leeway (sp) they used to be able to regarding retests if it fails, mine used to give you 14 days on pretty much anything, now you are given just 24 hours for a minor item (listed on the reverse of the fail sheet) or you will most likely end up paying for the whole mot again as they need to carry out a complete test  :banghead:

Back to the top
Good question Paul! I was going to higher it a little. But when I came round to changing the wheels the diameter of the 9 bars with tyre is quite a bit bigger than the diamter of the Ronals. So the overall ride hight has increased! Saves me a job. :wink: Still looks good going back to the 9 bars, the tyres are well up in the arches. he he 8)

Yeah you're right Storm it gives you naff all time to fix a minor problem. As I said fingers crossed because up here at uni I've no tools so I would have to pay the garage to do it. Not good when you're a skint student!

Back to the top

storm81 said

Trouble with the new mot system is they cant give you the leeway (sp) they used to be able to regarding retests if it fails, mine used to give you 14 days on pretty much anything, now you are given just 24 hours for a minor item (listed on the reverse of the fail sheet) or you will most likely end up paying for the whole mot again as they need to carry out a complete test  :banghead:

Unless you happen to be good friends with the MOT tester! My Vauxhall cavalier that gets me to work and back passed with a broken door mirror and a noisy CV joint, and that was on the new system. Needless to say it still has a broken door mirror and even noisier CV joint to this day. Really must get round to fixing it!

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top

Maniac said

storm81 said

Unless you happen to be good friends with the MOT tester! My Vauxhall cavalier that gets me to work and back passed with a broken door mirror and a noisy CV joint, and that was on the new system. Needless to say it still has a broken door mirror and even noisier CV joint to this day. Really must get round to fixing it!

Mike.

I lived in the NE once, and "Straight through Steve" was a handy MoT tester to know….

Back to the top
Tut tut. Speaking of the Geordie where the hell is he? Ganning a Parmo? :dontknow:

Manic under you car stats in your sig you have"monkey"…………intriguing!
 :lol:

Back to the top
good lluck kins

git

Back to the top

git said

good lluck kins

git

Cheers Mark/Louise! Hows yours holding up?

Back to the top
mot'd with a track rod end!

but now just put new fuel pump/dizzy cap/rotor arm/ etc etc.

now it's running but a bit wierd… mixture i hope!

ta
mark

Back to the top

kins said

I do indeed. His name is Bernard and he's actually a baboon rather than a monkey, but monkey is easier to say and has more comedy value! He hangs from my rear view mirror most of the year, except when he gets in the way when he ends up on the back seat, or is sometimes kidnapped by 'so called' friends and held to ransom (cost me 3 pints to get him back last time) or sometimes can be seen round the top stairs banister, which I think is where he is at the moment.

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
Track rod only not bad. :clap:  

Hmmm you could try giving the contacts a quick clean with a bit of sand paper?  :dontknow:

Hope mines does not need much!

Back to the top

Maniac said

kins said

I do indeed. His name is Bernard and he's actually a baboon rather than a monkey, but monkey is easier to say and has more comedy value! He hangs from my rear view mirror most of the year, except when he gets in the way when he ends up on the back seat, or is sometimes kidnapped by 'so called' friends and held to ransom (cost me 3 pints to get him back last time) or sometimes can be seen round the top stairs banister, which I think is where he is at the moment.

Mike.
He he Quality! :lol: I've a flat eric somewhere!

Back to the top
WOW flat eric, not seen him around for sometime!! Always remember that CD with him on the video that has the rediculous bass line that was always played at some silly volume on someones over the top sound system back in the days when I used to hang around mcdonalds carparks in slightly dodgey modified cars till silly hours of the morning!!

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
Yep thats him.  :lol:

Back to the top
I still have the flat eric (my Mr Oizo) track, in my CD player. Have I been under a rock, did it go out of fashion at some point??

Back to the top

paul_c said

I still have the flat eric (my Mr Oizo) track, in my CD player. Have I been under a rock, did it go out of fashion at some point??

That's it!! couldn't remember the name of it.

errrrrrmm. no comment on the above. . . . . .

mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.