Skip navigation

I went n bought it!

Back to the top

I went n bought it!

I've just won this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/…Z9873QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh **** thats my 3rd golf!

I went to see it after the south west meet still golfed up to the max!
No one was there to let me have a look it properly so I havent even heard it running! but from the outside it looks ok although it looks like its seen a bit of front end action as its had a new wing. The front panel looks straight and original though.
It doesn't look like theres any rust which is nice!

For that price you really cant complain much can you :mrgreen:

any comments!

Cheers,

Ross (still buzzing!)

Back to the top
Looks good! I watched the end of the auction and wondered if you were going to bid. Does one car have to go now or are you going to be a 3 car person?

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
cheap car well worth the price,its a bad habit collecting golfs,i have 3 and a passout
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Thanks shortstuff, I should only have 1 car really :roll: but, err…. oh well!

I've now filled up my parents garage so I'm going to start using my brothers drive now!

I will get rid of one, probably two in the end but don't know which or when yet. A lot will depend on how good or bad this sportline is.

It is a bit tatty, has small dents here and there. The rear tyres are good but the fronts are on the wear limits and one has lost a far bit of air as you can see in the pic (they're toyo proxies).

Some of the bodykit isnt original to the car as you can see a metalic green paint showing through in places.

The first MOT fail I can see is a split CV boot. It might get away with the hole in one of the inner spots.

Back to the top
Well done m8 wish i had the money was lookin at a cab for winter to tinker with but got 2 caddys instead  :wink:
Looks nice m8 give you summet to do in these cold dark days good luck.

Back to the top
As you said not bad at all for the money, a few hundred spent at the body shop at it should look good again, you'd pay alot more for one with a full mot and nice paint so if you spend carefully you could make a tidy profit if you want to sell it in the summer.

Back to the top
Yep, I was thinking of the same idea - it seems like there's loads of convertibles up for sale at the moment. I'd definitely go for one with power windows, central locking and power hood - it just makes sense.

Unfortunately, I don't have the facilities, money, time, or space for another Golf, but apart from that I'd get a convertible!

Back to the top
Nice one ross  :D

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
:lol: i new you would :lol:

Back to the top
Cheers guys  :D

I've called the seller and he seems to be pretty sound. I'm hoping to pick it up this week or at the weekend so I'll get some pics up when I do.

Anyone know what the deal is with towing a car without MOT? can you do it with a rope or does it have to be on a trailer?

Back to the top
Not strictly legal I don't think. Been led to believe that a car being towed has to have all the bits and pieces that a car being driven on the road would require. I had to tow my Peugeot back from Barnstaple after it broke down and it took over 2 hours!

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top

Ross said

Cheers guys  :D

I've called the seller and he seems to be pretty sound. I'm hoping to pick it up this week or at the weekend so I'll get some pics up when I do.

Anyone know what the deal is with towing a car without MOT? can you do it with a rope or does it have to be on a trailer?

Not sure about MoT, but if its untaxed it needs to be raised from the ground (ie its wheels can't be on the road). SO, you can't legally tow an untaxed car unless its on a trailer.

Back to the top
Looks like I'll have to get a trailer from somewhere then. Anyone?!!!

Or, maybe I could book it in for an MOT and say I'm driving it to the test or to my local to home garage for repair?

Aparrently it drives ok.

Back to the top
You can get round the "no MoT" situation by pre-booking it into a local MoT station and driving it directly there (it would need to be pre-booked). Tax is a little harder (does it have tax?), you'd need to have trade plates if it doesn't have a tax disc. Tricky to get unless you are a trader!

Why not do what I did? Pick it up in the dark, and break down hundreds of miles from home, so it has to go on the back of an AA truck?

Back to the top
Are you sure it needs tax to be able to take it to a prebooked MOT?

What was the AA guy's reaction when you did what you did? It is tempting as I have personal breakdown cover.

Back to the top

Ross said

Are you sure it needs tax to be able to take it to a prebooked MOT?

What was the AA guy's reaction when you did what you did? It is tempting as I have personal breakdown cover.

You might be right on the tax situation - no tax needed for taking to a pre-booked test.

The breakdown was a genuine fault, it was a ?500 car so I was expecting something non-perfect about the drive home, but I wasn't expecting a breakdown, then the AA guy to spend an hour trying to fix it but not getting it going.

It was recovered by an independent recovery firm, they have a section on the form to check for tax, but since it was dark and cold, the guy didn't check.

So, I'd rather have not broken down, but with being in the AA and suchlike, it wasn't the nightmare it could have been, and it saved a bit of fuel and mileage on the car.

Back to the top
Nice one Ross that should keep you busy

Mark

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
Picked it up today! It'll definately keep me bust. It needs a fair bit of work. But underneath it all I think theres a good car! There's no rust! The wheels are ok, the electric hood and windows work and most of the original sportline features are there and in pretty good condition.

But…  Its a bit dirty 8O

Backbox has to go its way to loud.

The steering wheels….

Ahhh nooo! possible engine mods! don't know whats been done. Has anyone heard of these tuners?

There's no VIN plate for some reason but chassis stamp and boot sticker are intact. I think the front panel might be original as it has original stickers.

The top mounts look and feel a bit warn….

Whats the grease about?!!

Gear selection is really difficult for 1st and 2nd. The chap said it had a 1.6 gearbox fitted when he bought it and then got the correct one fitted on the cheap. I think its actually a good box, it just needs mounting properly. Don't know how they managed this…

Hmm…

The MFA doesn't work. I think its possibly because the wrong switch is fitted rather than the dash been converted to just having a clock. The wipers did work but then the fuse blew. The push button is supposed to control the washers!

This is the only real problem with the interior apart from the front tweeters being butchered…

The active sub's a bonus…
But will probably get rid of it.

There are other problems than need sorting for the MOT.
Brakes - the fluids on minimum so somethings up.
Split CV boot
I noticed the Aux Air Valve is disconnected, That probably explains why the idle has been set a bit high.

Also the power hoods fluid is on minimum and the Cobra alarm doesn't work, the imob does though.

So what do you think!!!!!!

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Back to the top
I like it Ross  :D

Nice winter project and the problems you encounter and have shown will
add interest to the finished car .

Good luck with it ………

Back to the top
Doh! are the pics not displaying now?

Cheers Chudd, I cant wait to get stuck in. But then I should really get on with the other project first!

I don't think you could actually make out who the engine tuners were in the pics so here are the details. It would be nive to know if they still exist and even better if they could tell me whats been done. I havent tried calling  :roll:

Martin Smith Motorsports 01733 253326

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.