Skip navigation

SLASHED my roof

Back to the top

SLASHED my roof

Very angry right now…

Just When I thought everything was good with my car and it was ready for the winter this happened

I went out with the girls last night and when I returned to my it was sorrounded by boy racers!! so the other girls walked me to my car and the boy racers drove off I made a joke and said better check they havnt let the air out of my tyres.
It wasnt until I went out early to de-ice my car this morning that I realised that the B*****ds have actually slashed my roof!!!!!!!!!

Its only about 2inchs long but has gone through the headlining aswell!!!

Im extremely angry have cried (im allowed as im a girl) but now im just ANGRY.

So im going to ring the police shortly as im sure they must have it on CCTV.

Does anyone know anywhere in Norfolk/Suffolk where I can get my roof repaired? As I cant afford to replace the roof just yet & I dont think its worth claiming off the insurance as Ive got to pay the first ?350 as im under 25.

Going to go outside and scream really load now SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo Angry!!!!!!!!  :cry:  :x

Yorkshire Region Host

Mk1 Cabriolet 1500 (under resto)

Mk1 GTI

Back to the top
That's bad - hate it when things happen like this, people should show a little more respect!

Can't help you with your question I'm affraid but sure someone here will now.

Good luck sorting it :wink:

Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Im proper gutted!

The police are actually seding someone out to look at my car dont know which is more shocking!!!

Hoping theve got it on camera!

:(  :cry:

Yorkshire Region Host

Mk1 GTI

Back to the top
That really is kack. Its something every cabrio owner always fears. Hope they can get caught.

www.carhoods.co.uk were doing a special offer on mohair hoods a couple of weeks ago and it might be still on. ?325 fitted including cables I think. They manufacture and fit the hoods. They're based in Chessington, surrey which might be a bit of a trek but would probably be worth it for the price.
i've recently bought a vinal hood from them and the quality seems fine. These are ?295 fitted or if you want to get it fitted locally you can buy them for ?190 including vat and delivery and side cables, you'd have to find a local trimmer to fit it.

The headlining will be extra if you feel it needs replacing, you could always use some fabric repair tape stuff on the back of it so it doesn't show. You'll need to repair the insulation between the headliner and outer skin in the same way.

Cheers and good luck,

Ross

Back to the top

littlerolf said

The police are actually seding someone out to look at my car dont know which is more shocking!!!

Watch out for the police - they'll tell you there's nothing they can do, and then hide at the end of your road with a speed camera and fine you!  :lol:

Sorry to hear your tale of woe - comfort can be found though in laughing at people like that - try here: -

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/

Back to the top
well the police have been out and taken the details etc and are going to see if its on the cameras.

thanks for the advice ross think i might save my pennys and buy a new hood next summer going to try and patch it from inside for now fortunatly its a very neat cut so should be too hard to do.

Like the chav website, think my golf may have outclassing there ?%$*^ Puntos!!

Yorkshire Region Host

Mk1 GTI

Back to the top
My worst nightmair too. To think I was seething when some little b*stards stole my metal dust caps. I hope they catch them and let you hit them with a big stick for a while.
Were they after anything inside or just being spiteful?

Back to the top
:(  So sorry to hear that story…I am on the verge of picking up my new cabrio and am so worried that something like this will happen to me.

The guys in surrey do an excellent job as a mate of mine got his bug redone there!

People who do things like that drive me nuts!  :evil:  

:tlc:

1985 MK1 Black Cabrio almost immaculate
1972 1300 Beetle Bright Orange covered in flowers Stocker almost immaculate

Back to the top
Dont think they were after anything Id taken the front off my stereo and there was nothing else to see!!! Plus If you wanted to break in it would be a lot quicker to smash the window.
I think they were just been spitful which I really dont understand. why would anyone do that!  :banghead:  I could understand them breaking in but they didnt just knifed my poor little car,
Ive spent a lot of time and money on the car this year so it was the last thing I needed.

It could have been a lot worse. Only had the car resprayed in May so they could have keyed it I suppose!!

Still Angry Though. :x

Yorkshire Region Host

Mk1 GTI

Back to the top
Put a CCTV camera sticker clearly visible in the windows of the car. Now that cameras come as small as pinheads, who'd be daft enough to try it? Prevention is the best cure! Then install cameras.

My worst fear too, but worse than that, they slash it when its pouring down! :banghead: NIGHTMARE. I alway park mine in the high st where there ARE cameras.

My old one had a rubber!! patch inside the skins fixed with tyre glue! NO LEAKS AND CHEAP.

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

Back to the top
I have a nice black hood if you need one.  Only 5 ys old.

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Sorry to hear that, similar thing happened to my old cabrio. My (cheap) solution was to stick a piece of strong adhesive tape on the inside. You could only see the cut from point blank range. Not ideal, but might give you a bit of protection whilst you consider more expensive options.

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
These things happen - nothing you can do.  I doubt there will be any CCTV footage but even if there is, what are you going to do about it?  You'd be hard pushed to identify who it was an even if you can - you are going to have to take them to course only for them to fail to pay the fine and end up paying you back at 50p per week.

I'm surprised the Police even came out - they would usually just give you a crime number for the insurance claim which, if you aren't going to claim, is useless anyway.

Lifes hard, it's just a car, no point in getting upset about it.  You can either mope about it or choose to get on with things.  That's the nature of life - worse things are happening everyday…

Back to the top
There must be a company out there who can repair this sort of thing leaving only a minimal mark but water tight???? There are companies that repair holes in dash boards etc….
If not I had my interior retrimmed by a guy in Kings Lynn who did an amazing job really cheep, they do hoods as well i think, let me know if you want his number.

Back to the top
oh yeah, did this happen in Norfolk? if so where abouts.... i Live just south of Norwich would be nice to know where not to park :roll:

Back to the top
:banghead: They just arn't worth the time of day, Jealous idiots, don't let em get you down :D

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
The problem with smart repairs is that the repair material isn't as flexible as the rest of the roof, so it cracks in a few months with all the movement. We had a car at work done several times and it did the same each time (the guy who did the repair did tell the boss this, but he was just being a skinflint).

A friend of mine had the roof slashed on her cab and that was enough to write it off.

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
I dont know how available this would be on your side of the pond, but for a temp fix until you can buy a new top, perhaps check your local auto part store for a Vinyl Repair Kit…I am assuming it is a vinyl top?  The patches are meant to flex.  It wont be that pretty but it will do the job!

www.toplessrabbit.com
89 Cabriolet/92 Cabriolet Wlfsbrg/88 Scirocco 16V/71 Karmann Ghia/01 Jetta GLX VR6

Back to the top

Littlerolfs roof!

Dear Littlerolf, is there any lower anyone can go than to damage someone elses car! It makes me feel sick just to read what happened to you! I once had a black Nova sr about a year or so old, I loved it and waxed it every couple of days! I still can't believe that every panel was keyed, just because I loved it so much and it was obvious! A friend of mine said to me, "I leave my car all dirty, then no one messes with it and I know it's still all shiney and nice underneath!" In a sense he was right, but I just can't live like that! After all, lets face it, your car is the last item of clothing you put on before you go out! I think it is important to love your car and you obviously do! My advice to you is think before you spend any money! ?50 repair could be ?50 off a new roof! Remember you have to love it again! I think you were really unlucky to have had your roof slashed, baring in mind the age of these cars now! I also think there are certain things you can do to prevent damage or break ins!
1, Obviously don't leave the car in remote or poorly lit locations!
2, Take the stereo out, but also open the glove box and show that there is nothing inside! This will deter the opportunist from assuming that it is in the glovebox as would normally be the case!
3, If you can, park next to a more desireable car than your own, then the spiteful damage will be more likely to be done to someone else! Sad but true unfortunately!
I hope this experience doesn't ruin the experience of owning a cabriolet…Best of luck and keep this post informed of any work good or bad…..Please accept this virtual hug from me…Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!….Walt!  :tlc:

Back to the top
Have got a repair kit from halfords and have patched it from the inside it doesnt look to bad, will see how long it lasts. Have patched the headlining aswell and you cant see that at all now.
Mr_GTI I was parked in the cattle market carpark in Bury St Edmunds if you know it, was parked at the end nearest the shops. Police guy told me that the nearest camera was actually right at the other end of the carpark which is closed after 7.30 anyway!!! who was it in kings lynn who retrimmed your car?
Walt your right I do love my car and im not going to let the prats put me off drving it or leaving it anywhere will just be more carefull next time.
Thanks for all you support guys im feeling much better about the whole thing now still cant understand how someone could do it but it could have been so much worse.
Maybe I should get a james bond style car alarm with a missile launcer to blow up anyone who come within 3 ft of the car! or a big dog with big teeth to gaurd the car.

Yorkshire Region Host

Mk1 GTI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.