Skip navigation

correct wheel centre bore?

Back to the top

correct wheel centre bore?

I have just aquired some 13x7 inch steel wheels.
The pcd is 100 which is the right fitment but centre bore on the wheel is slighty to big and there is no support from it. So the wheels are hanging off the bolts only.

Is this common on other non vw wheels or should the centre bore be a tight fit on all wheels fitted.

Don't want to fit the wheels if there are not going to be safe or cause damage!

Heard something about adaptor rings but don't know what they do!

Any advice would be really good!

Cheers

Back to the top
Centre bore should be 57mm. Do the wheels you have have a 'cut out' in the centre on the reverse side ?  Most aftermarket wheels use plastic spigot rings that locate the wheel onto the hub. These push into the cut out. If not then you can still get spigot rings that will do the job - you'll just have to measure the inside diameter of the centre bore on your wheels and get rings that take this down to 57mm
Cheers,
Mark.

Back to the top
The centre bore on the wheels are 65mm. The bore has just been press out with nothing on the reverse. The wheels are basically the same as a standard 13inch steel wheel (mk1 golf) but with a 65mm bore.

Would the spigot rings fit on to this type of wheel? Do you now where I can hold of these. Don't no anything about these so any more info would be really good.

thanks again

Back to the top
The center spiggot as far as I'm aware is to help getting the wheel lined up to get the bolts in. Olders car wich have wheel studs and you use nuts to secure the wheel dont have this feature.

Trying to hold up a heavy wheel and get a bolt through is diffcult, but once you have all 4 bolts tightened up the wheel will be central and they are all that supports your car.

Rob :D

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
are the bolts alone enough to support the wheel?. It looks as though on the standard vw wheel the bore is a tight fit into the wheel which acts as extra support.

I'm just worried I'm going to do some damage and that the bolts will not be enough to support the wheel propably!

cheers

Back to the top
The bolts will hold the wheel on fine as long as they are tight. The centre is for location and ease of puting bolts in. make sure you do the bolts up across the diaganol and your wheel won't go anywhere.

Four bolts have to fail before the wheel comes off!!!! don't put any grease or oil on the bolts either as this can cause then to come undone. A friend did this may years ago and his wheel did come off!!! partly his fault due to not stopping when hearing a clunking from the car to check things out.

Rob

But if you still are unsure pop into a tyre fitters and ask them their advise to double check :D

Back to the top
You are better off with the spigot rings - makes putting a wheel on a whole lot easier, especially in the dark at the side of a road! I would use a dab of copper grease and regularly check torques - the bolts can rust easily.

Banner

Back to the top
cheers for the help guys!

Do the spigot rings act as a support or are they just there to help get the wheel on in the right place???

cheers

Back to the top
As Mark says they are only plastic and as such I would assume do not bear any load.

Banner

Back to the top
I remember a similar question on the Caddy forum. I mentioned that while preferable to have them, the spigot rings weren't 100% essential. I myself have run a set of aftermarket alloys without them on a previous car. The guy who runs the Caddy forum (who's also a mechanic and has built a VR6 Caddy & therefore 'knows his stuff'), insisted that the spigot rings were essential in spreading the load and that you were in for all sorts of problems if you didn't have them.
I can only go on my previous experience. TBH, I'd do a Google and see if you can find some.
Upto you !
Cheers,
Mark

Back to the top
Only Plastic!?

They could take a lot of loading as they are acting in compression.

Plastic spacers are frequently used in the building industry to level concrete castings weighing many tonnes.

I would not hang a wheel off bolts only.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
Hi guys, just a note when i had my astra on 17inch wheels. I had no spigot rings and fitted them without .The bolts alone will align the wheel enough so i thought. I couldnt understand why my balancing was way out when the week before i had new tyres fitted n balancing. I took the car back to the garage and it was explained to me that the spigot rings act as perfect aligning of the wheel to the face. So from that i now know the bolts dont actually align the wheel perfectly. Sounds stupid but is true, i was caught out there. I had to buy a full set of new plastic spigot rings, and YES it cured my steerin wheel wobble. Hope the info was a help.

andy

Back to the top
I think you need the spigots for alignment, but they are not critical for load bearing. Its the clamping force of the wheel bolts thru the hub and finally the wheel bearing that takes the load.

Banner

Back to the top
The spigot ring is important.

When I bought my westfield it had the rears spaced out so they filled the arches but made the handling crap  :dontknow:  and the spacers rendered the spigot ring useless. When I went to turn down the bolts after removing the spacers I found that all 8 had bent to some degree.

Back to the top
I imagine its a function of the weight of the car, number of bolts, tolerance of the bore and if you have the correct bolts for the car. Just thought with a Mk1 already having the cone bolts, the centre bore loading might not be as critical?

Banner

Back to the top
without the rings u will have vibrations at higher speeds….

mate has this problem with his mk2

Back to the top
without the rings u will have vibrations at higher speeds….

mate has this problem with his mk2

Back to the top
When you use spacers on a car the bolts are extra long and are prone to bending, that why spacers are not recommended.

On the centre bore bit this is what I found on 'tinternet'

The centre bore is the hole machined in the centre of the alloy wheel. It is essential the alloy wheels purchased have the correct centre bore for the car they are intended otherwise you may experience balancing problems.
Often alloy wheels are supplied with spigot rings fitted in the back of the wheel to get the correct fitment.

So I would conclude it a balance thing and this is the solution, this problem would compounded by bigger and heaver alloys I presume.

Learn something every day, I'm sure if you know the make of alloy ,you can get a set of spigots from them.

Rob  :D

Back to the top
G60RGE you beet me to it and so simply put too :wink:

Back to the top
thanks for all the info.

spoke to the company who prduced the wheels and they say that it's ok that the wheel doesn't fit on to the bore, and that the bolts are enough to support the wheel

not a 100% myself but will get some spigot rings and try it out.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.