Skip navigation

Chrome bumper idiocy again...

Back to the top

Chrome bumper idiocy again...

dubboy said

bit silly though when you can get them in Germany new - repro or not its only metal folded and chromed. i mean who's gonna say to you at a show - ahhhhhh look at them bumpers they're not genuine…. if they did i would slap them with a wet cod.

Depends if you are in a standard or modded class. Many concours entrants would not be seen dead with a repro part - so you would probably get marked down, wet cod or not. A lot of people are desperately trying to put earlier retro parts on their cars to make them look nicer when in fact they looked a lot better standard in the first place! So they are modified anyway and repro parts do not matter so much. I am a fan of the early Mk1 stuff - its just so classy, they don't make them like that anymore.

It all about the OE  :mrgreen:

still daft as a brush to pay that money when you could get them new for much less… but then im more a modded fan rather than standard… oops i'll be banished! :oops:

i know i know each to their own -and while it might appeal to someone looking to restore their car totally standard with only oe parts - personally id rather have a rust free shell - a decent engine and ok maybe a little chrome.. :wink:

Back to the top
Stick with the Classic (OE + minimum amounts of genuinely useful period improvements) and you can't go wrong…

Yep, I'm waiting for the day when the height of coolness is a standard car not even "OEM+". "Cor, look at the steel wheels on that!".

It's going to be soooo hard to achieve:
 <Look down VW price list>
"I'll have that one!"
Job done!  :lol:

Banner

Back to the top
my cousin had a set of genuine vag chromes for his mk1(the crashed one in the for sale section)and i know hes looking for decent offers before he bangs them on flea-bay, hes also probably going to cut off his old solid small light back panel and offer it with them if any ones interested(details in the for sale section btw :wink: )theyre no use to him now bcos hes just bought a mk3gti(gf and 2 bairns to keep happy lol) to replace his mk1

Back to the top
Personally I think ?400+ is bloody stupid money for chrome bumpers.

BUT, each to their own. I don't hold it against anyone for paying that if thats what they really want.  And to support the 'sellers' on here (you know who you are, lol) if people want to pay that then why not?  The whole point of ebay is whoever bids highest gets them, totally their choice. If I had a set i'd be well pleased with ?400.

I want black metal bumpers though though…. :banghead:  :lol:

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
I want black metal bumpers though though….  

Have a spare set of them, genuine VW - just in case I prang mine  :D

Banner

Back to the top

ManicGTI said

Those Gti "Black" ones are even rarer than the flippin' chrome ones!

Back to the top
Do you think we should have a "Chrome bumper on ebay discussion section"  :wink:

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

ManicGTI said

Personally I think ?400+ is bloody stupid money for chrome bumpers.

BUT, each to their own. I don't hold it against anyone for paying that if thats what they really want.  And to support the 'sellers' on here (you know who you are, lol) if people want to pay that then why not?  The whole point of ebay is whoever bids highest gets them, totally their choice. If I had a set i'd be well pleased with ?400.

i think my cousin was lookin for about half that!!!!!!just gettin back his money i think but hes had no interest so i think theyre ebay bound, hell be laughing if he gets anywhere near that 8O

Back to the top
Rather get another Mk1 than another set of bumpers!

how gutted would you be spending ?400 on a perfect set of chrome bumpers, then someone dents 'em

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top

G60RGE said

your goin on like profiteering is wrong???  u think people are gonna give them away for nothing…

mate, tell u wot if your a good boy, santa may bring you a set for christmas! :wink:

now be a good boy!

Sarcasm and condecending comments won't get you anywhere " son "  
( why do people say " son " ??? )

Did you buy your bumpers for ?400 ? didn't think so, now give over.

Once prices get too high for parts, that'll be that for mk1 ownership for a lot of us. Myself and my four other mk1 owning friends included. Which can't be a good thing right. Or are you more interested in it becoming a  who has the biggest wallet competition  - much like VW split screen vans and ovals…?

Im not having a go at anyone in particular, it just seems that common sense has all but disapeared again. :(

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top

crazyquiff said

Do you think we should have a "Chrome bumper on ebay discussion section"  :wink:

LMAO ! We should have  " piss takingly expensive parts for sale section "

:lol:

Back to the top
i wrote a big rant there and just deleted it :lol:

Back to the top
Its an illustration of how eBay can be successful for the seller, of a desirable part. In days gone by, the seller would have to guess a price, put an ad in the classified section of a classic car magazine, wait 6 weeks or so, then barter with each person who phones up, with no guarantee if the sale fell through or not. So for many of us, eBay can be good as well as bad.

I had a camper which I sold on eBay. It was worth ?1500. Because it wasn't that common and there were 3-4 people who seriously wanted it, the price rose and rose to ?3602, way beyond my expectations of its value!

Back to the top
Here's some gorgeous bling for your Mk1  :lol:

ShopLaser.com is for sale | HugeDomains

I especially love these sections of the blurb:

"For a variety of cars with electronic fuel injection engine control, the SPINNER EXHAUST TIP has the beneficial effect to eliminate the initial hesitation of the engine under rapid acceleration"

"Furthermore, the exhaust gases emanating from the tailpipe will be uniformly dispersed into the atmosphere"

Back to the top

Gold-mk1 said

G60RGE said

your goin on like profiteering is wrong???  u think people are gonna give them away for nothing…

mate, tell u wot if your a good boy, santa may bring you a set for christmas! :wink:

now be a good boy!

Once prices get too high for parts, that'll be that for mk1 ownership for a lot of us. Myself and my four other mk1 owning friends included. Which can't be a good thing right. Or are you more interested in it becoming a  who has the biggest wallet competition  - much like VW split screen vans and ovals…?

Im not having a go at anyone in particular, it just seems that common sense has all but disapeared again. :(

i give up!

Back to the top

Type17 said

Here's some gorgeous bling for your Mk1  :lol:

ShopLaser.com is for sale | HugeDomains

I especially love these sections of the blurb:

"For a variety of cars with electronic fuel injection engine control, the SPINNER EXHAUST TIP has the beneficial effect to eliminate the initial hesitation of the engine under rapid acceleration"

"Furthermore, the exhaust gases emanating from the tailpipe will be uniformly dispersed into the atmosphere"

lol!!.. I deffo want one of those!!  :lol:

Back to the top

G60RGE said

Gold-mk1 said

G60RGE said

now be a good boy!

i give up!

good idea, you're clearly not on this planet !  :banghead:

Back to the top
C'mon guys lets not let this get into a personal slanging match - the forum is not the place for it  :wink:

My experience of ebay is that its rarely a good place to buy unless there is absolutely nowhere else you can find the item, or its misdescribed in some way that means noone else has spotted it (rare these days).

It is however a good place to sell stuff as some people do seem to pay daft money for things that often they could source far cheaper elsewhere if they just did a bit of research, or were more patient and waited for the same item to come up elsewhere.

Of course people are free to pay over the odds for things - thats up to them. Sure, it may seem a crazy price to pay, but if someone is willing to pay it then its obviously worth that for them.

If someone has spent 5 years and literally a small fortune on restoring a Mk1, they might be willing to drop that kind of cash to get the car looking exactly as they want it. After all for them its probably not about the value of the restored car - they could probably never sell it for anything close to what it has cost them to restore (with or without the pricey chrome) - they do it for the enjoyment of it I guess!

Don't have strong feelings on chrome or not to be honest. I wouldn't go out of my way to ADD it to a car if it wasn't there originally. However if it was there originally I guess I'd want it looking smart  :D

Cheers,

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
I think ebay is excellent for buying and selling. For restoring a Mk1 with OE, rather than repro stuff it is now the main place to go.

Try asking any classic car enthusiast who can now search for parts globally what they think of ebay - its a God send!

Banner

Back to the top
not read the whole post but i would like to add.. last year i bought a set of chrome bumpers…

mint condish
end caps
rubber strips
iron mounting brakets
did i say mint condish…?

100 squid nips!!

how come you cant get bargins nemore? :evil:

1272 driver with a magic tree!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.