Skip navigation

Chrome bumper idiocy again...

Back to the top

Chrome bumper idiocy again...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-Mk1-Mk-1-Retro-Old-Skool-Chrome-Bumpers_W0QQitemZ4584707602QQcategoryZ9889QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

YOu can get them NEW from Germany can't you for at least half the buy it now price can't you ?! :(

profiteering..?

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
Ebay moaning more like  :roll:

They are only available as copies now.

Banner

Back to the top
NOTHING WEONG WITH TRYING TO MAKE A BIT OF MONEY….

GOOD LUCK TO HIM!

Back to the top
I worry about the future of people like me being involved with mk1's if people with more money than sense continue to pay such stupid prices.

Thats a RIDICULOUS sum of money for a set of bumpers. GET REAL  :(

and, a BIT of money ????  give me a break.

Back to the top

dubboy said

Ebay moaning more like  :roll:

They are only available as copies now.

and you don't think thats silly money ?

maybe not with such an extensive car collection   :lol:

Back to the top
Whether I think it is a lot of money or not for them is irrelevant. They are worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for them.

Buying bumpers from ebay is no different to buying a washing machine from the high street. The people who get the best deals are those who do their research first.

I am sure many products you buy in the supermarkets have a greater % margin on them than a set of bumpers.

To many people it is a lot of money, many times more than a year's wages. To others it is peanuts. Everyone has their own wants and needs.

But going on about it doesn't achieve much. You're clearly not buying them anyway.

Banner

Back to the top

Gold-mk1 said

I worry about the future of people like me being involved with mk1's if people with more money than sense continue to pay such stupid prices.

Thats a RIDICULOUS sum of money for a set of bumpers. GET REAL  :(

and, a BIT of money ????  give me a break.

pipe down son!

i sold a set last month for ?400, to me, in my situation, ?400 is a fortune, but still don get u much these days! the bloke that bought them didnt even look at them, took 400 notes out of his back pocket, counted them and threw the bumpers in his boot! done deal! he was happy, i was happy!

so as the dubster says: They are worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for them.

Back to the top

bumpers

g60rge sold em  he is happy bloke won bidding is happy  whats problem? :dontknow:

Back to the top
Cheap as Chips!

mk1 silver campaign totally standard lowered on coilovers magic tree vanilla

Just had a full outer body restore

Back to the top
clearly only the sellers with and opinion then ?  :)

Back to the top
your goin on like profiteering is wrong???  u think people are gonna give them away for nothing…

mate, tell u wot if your a good boy, santa may bring you a set for christmas! :wink:

now be a good boy!

Back to the top
Personally I'd go for no bumpers than spend that kind of money on chrome ones, but thats just my personal opinion.

If you're spending thousands on a project, then a few hundred for a pair of bumpers doesn't seem too bad.

Back to the top
It's not like anyones being forced to buy them.

What would you do if you had a set of mint chrome bumpers? put em on with a buy it now of ?100, I don't think so.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
If people are stupid enough to pay that sort of money, then let them.  I personally wouldnt.  And no, im not a seller or a buyer!!

Back to the top
Yeah, it really depends on what you want to pay. On Ebay I always set myself a maximum bid that is reasonable and within my means :oops:  If someone else is Ok to pay more then thats up to them. I'll only ever stretch my budget if it's something that I know is almost impossible to get hold of. Chrome bumpers seem quite common at the mo 8O

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
In a few years, chrome bumpers for Mk1's will be back to "normal" prices - their prices are only inflated now because of the fashion for "bling" clothes and cars, an effect enhanced by TV shows like Pimp My Ride - soon, they will only be worth a little more than the '80-'84 plastic ones (and even then only because they are older, and therefore will always be a little rarer).

Don't believe me? - remember in the late 90's how everyone wanted Mk2-style "big-bumpers" for their Mk1, and there were people selling kits for Mk1 owners to fit Mk2-style ones - where are they all now?…

Back to the top
The costs may fall slightly but I disagree on a few points:

1. Chrome has ALWAYS been in fashion. Why? Because it looks a lot better than plastic. Chrome has been around since the days of hot rods. Would you rather show off some bright shiny bumpers or cover them in cheap plastic? I don't find chrome bumpers Pimp My Ride at all. Pimp My Ride to me is useless TV screens, spinners, fish tanks and non-OE parts.

2. Chrome bumpers are part of the early OE spec. And early OE spec is always going to be a lot more expensive than parts for later common cars. For example check out the prices of Beetle split window parts compared to the later 70s ones.

3. The cost/volume for big bumpers on Mk1s went down for one reason - they look rubbish and completely spoil the lines of the original car.

Banner

Back to the top
bit silly though when you can get them in Germany new - repro or not its only metal folded and chromed. i mean who's gonna say to you at a show - ahhhhhh look at them bumpers they're not genuine…. if they did i would slap them with a wet cod.

true enough if someone wants to pay that much then fair play to the seller… but madness when you can get a sprank new set.

:dontknow: go figure.

Back to the top
bit silly though when you can get them in Germany new - repro or not its only metal folded and chromed. i mean who's gonna say to you at a show - ahhhhhh look at them bumpers they're not genuine…. if they did i would slap them with a wet cod.

Depends if you are in a standard or modded class. Many concours entrants would not be seen dead with a repro part - so you would probably get marked down, wet cod or not. A lot of people are desperately trying to put earlier retro parts on their cars to make them look nicer when in fact they looked a lot better standard in the first place! So they are modified anyway and repro parts do not matter so much. I am a fan of the early Mk1 stuff - its just so classy, they don't make them like that anymore.

It all about the OE  :mrgreen:

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Chrome has ALWAYS been in fashion. Why? Because it looks a lot better than plastic.

Chrome has been around since the days of hot rods. Would you rather show off some bright shiny bumpers or cover them in cheap plastic?

Couldn't agree more! I always loved chrome and hot rods - I grew up reading my older brother's Street Machine mags.

dubboy said

I don't find chrome bumpers Pimp My Ride at all. Pimp My Ride to me is useless TV screens, spinners, fish tanks and non-OE parts.

I agree: Chrome bumpers don't pimp an early Mk1, because that's what they came with anyway! (like most other cars of the 70's).
Pimping is all about making parts chrome which never were, adding useless tat and generally spoiling a car in a way that lets everyone know that you are a vacuous moron with too much money (IMHO!).

dubboy said

Chrome bumpers are part of the early OE spec. And early OE spec is always going to be a lot more expensive than parts for later common cars. For example check out the prices of Beetle split window parts compared to the later 70s ones.

True enough, I was probably exaggerating a bit, saying that chrome bumper prices would eventually get close to plastic ones, but a large percentage of the prices being obtained today will disappear when the "pimping" fashion is replaced by the next fad - it's a bubble, not unlike UK property prices in the late 80's.

dubboy said

The cost/volume for big bumpers on Mk1s went down for one reason - they look rubbish and completely spoil the lines of the original car.

Yes, they were rubbish-looking on a Mk1, but there was a huge market for big-bumpers on everything - pre '90 Mk2's as well. These days, clean-looking small-bumper Mk2's have begun to look fashionable again, and are almost as popular as the '90-onwards cars.

Cars, Foods, Clothes - it's all a cycle of fashion:

Cars: Venom alloys, anyone? :mrgreen:

Food: Tiramsu, Banoffee - where are they now?

Clothes: (don't even start…)

Stick with the Classic (OE + minimum amounts of genuinely useful period improvements) and you can't go wrong…  8)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.