Skip navigation

chassis legs-progress-pics

Back to the top

chassis legs-progress-pics

Nice work man, cant wait for more progress, happy xmas, do sum more welding :wink:

But really lovin the resto :D

Back to the top
Outstanding work there Rustmuncher - the sunroof drain pipes are excellent. Is Shultz an underseal or wax, seen it for sale quite cheap in Machine Mart? What do you think of Hammeritre Waxoyl products?

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Hello, Ive been led to believe that shultz is underseal and thats what the factory call it(believe your eyes not your ears)However over the years diferent companies have used the name and made standard products labelled as shultz,shutz or shutlz.3m Shutz underbody sealer is what you need then leave it to harden and dry out for a couple of weeks then cover it with underbody wax.Hammerite bought out finnigans waxoyl years ago there the original waxoyl people its good stuff, for cavities especially.

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
Looks like you,ve got plenty to keep you busy rust muncher.  I also have to renew the rear chassis legs.  This is the first restoration project that i,ve tackled.  Were the replacement parts one section per side and did you get them from Hadrian.
I've been looking and the parts that I've seen (if they are the correct bits) seem to come in two parts per side.
Finally how much did you have to strip out to allow you the access?
Keep up the good work.

Macca.

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top

Re: chassis legs-progress-pics

Hey Mr Rustmuncher, have you got the Hadrian part number? I need to order one. Thanks

Back to the top
Hello, Ive been led to believe that shultz is underseal and thats what the factory call it(believe your eyes not your ears)However over the years diferent companies have used the name and made standard products labelled as shultz,shutz or shutlz.3m Shutz underbody sealer is what you need then leave it to harden and dry out for a couple of weeks then cover it with underbody wax.Hammerite bought out finnigans waxoyl years ago there the original waxoyl people its good stuff, for cavities especially.

Machine Mart sell TetroSchutz, made by Tetroseal (very cheap at ?2.34 a litre). So yet another variation on the Schutz theme. Where did you get the 3M stuff from?

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Markwon pm sent.  
 Check out www.perfectpanels.co.uk  They have a local suplier listing too.not every panel available is on the site but most are.local supliers have a catalogue with more panels in and all diagrams.  
 part number is 91-22-373 for lefthand/nearside chassis repair by rear axle and 91-22-372 for righthand/offside. the rear chassis under boot floor are not on the website and i dont have the numbers anymore.
Macca id strip full trim anyway just to protect it,suppose you could just strip boot,rear seat, rear sidecards and pull carpet towards front seats.
The paint will burn on the inside whilst your welding underneath,so some prep n paint will be needed inside too,good luck with it and send some pics in! Check out my other posts for more info and pics.

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
Thanks!

Back to the top
Thats great, I have already stripped out the whole inside trim, as I have a couple a bits at the top of the rear inside wheel arches to weld.  But before I do that I will have to remove the rear seat mountings to allow me access.
Once I get started I will post some pictures.

Thanks

Macca :)

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
OOh it s all new under here now! well in this corner anyway,got some undersealing done on saturday.that put a grin on my face i can tell you!

Im leaving the rear valance of until ive done the other side,working my way along the nearside now dealing with sill and floor corrosion, its no way near as bad as the rear chassis leg though its an easy repair for a change.gonna replace outer skin and repair inner skin and floorpan where they all meet.

This is the only corrosion to inner sill and floorpan i'll make repair panels for this job,then weld outer sill on later.

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
looking good dude, what did you use for the underseal ? it looks freally nice.

also the car isnt a w reg 1.6 is it ?

Back to the top
Nie work! (But what you gonna change your name to once you've munched all the rust?!!) :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
change it to 'tarmac muncher'

nice work - she'll be strong for years!

Back to the top
Looking very good there Rustmuncher and in such short time :clap: . Funnily enough I've got very similar repairs to do to my N/S front sill, so I'll watch out for more photos.

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
:clap:

I can smell that underseal  :lol: lovely stuff . Top job rustmuncher ……….

Back to the top
this is great reading and top work fella.. it gives me plenty of motivation and stops me feeling sorry for myself cuz i've got a couple small welds that need/are being done on mine..  :D

Back to the top
Ill always be rustmuncher if not on this golf there's always more to munch my way through!
There's no such thing as small welds where mk1's are  involved! beware!!!
Just crawled out of the garage after another day welding,replaced nearside sill this weekend didnt even have time to take some pics and its on now,ill take some of it so far and get them up. Its coming along!!

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
Well spent another weekend in the garage,can hardly call it chassis legs any longer,just progress me thinks! here's some pics on what ive bin up to.
Replaced full outer sill after finding hidden rot at front jacking point.(see earlier pics)

Repaired inner sill and floor at nearside footwell

Ok so once the sill was sorted i moved onto nearside inner wing,A-pillar and scuttle repair,i had already bought a scuttle repair panel from hadrian but its not a good fit(good to use as a little shovel though when sweeping up) ive found a new mate who kindley let me set about a shell he was scrapping for the bits i need .Thanks to  you no who you are.

This side of the car is nearly all welded up now ready for primer,should be moving it over soon to start on the offside. thanks for all the replies and encouragement people!! Keep your golfs alive!!!

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top

Rustmuncher Resto

Boy am I jealous, now that's a decent set of welding moleys!!
Keep it up Rusty, be on the road before you know it :wink:

Back to the top
Wow! You really are going to town with the resto!  :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.