Skip navigation

G40 conversion anyone

Back to the top

G40 conversion anyone

dunno if its still available, but might appeal to some1?

proboards29.com

:dontknow:

Back to the top
The conversions alot of hassle...... may as well go for g60 or a 20v t. 8)

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
G60 all the way  :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
20v T!

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
G60!!!  :twisted:

:lol:

Back to the top
20V t! :x

Back to the top
Why G60? It's easier than a 20v t but the engine is much older in terms of technology. The 20v would provide beter fuel economy and think of the potential for tuning….. you can achieve silly power just by chipping them. The G60 superchargers are not the best and aint cheap to replace. So why……? Cost?

20v T!!!!!! :P

Back to the top
it's all about the supercharger! and No Turbo lag and that whine/whistle from a charger.. mmmmmmm  :lol:

you've got supercharged power all the way through the rev range..

also, VW never made a Mk1 with any mor than 8 valves, I just feel VW 'would' have put the G60 in a Mk1 originally if they'd come up with the idea a little earlier  :wink:

Back to the top
I,m with phil on vw putting the g60 in a mk1 and they do make a lovely noise but i was very impressed by the mk4 that came on my trip just an induction kit , a revo remap and stainless exhaust and the thing flew doing regular sub 10 minute laps of the circuit and thats not stripped out its full lardy spec . gonna start looking for a 225 spec lump after christmas .

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
Boyd Kilsbys MK1 G40 runs a 0-60 of 5.56 8)

G60s are good for about 240ps before a bigger charger is needed. Anyone driven a 240ps engined MK1? Was it fast?

Back to the top
236.71bhp in a mk1 hmmmm I would not imagine it to be slow. 8O

Back to the top
Exactly kins!

Just because you have more power doesn't nesseceraly mean you go faster! What's power without control?

People don't seem to realise that a gearbox can be the key to rapid times. If you've got a 300ps engine and wheel spin in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th will it be quicker than a 260ps engined car with well selected gear ratios and a LSD?

Back to the top
It's all about working backwards…… start with tyres and work back. Once you've got a chassis that can handle the power then you can worry about how many ponies your pushing out and if your transmission can lay it down. What dya say Mr V. :wink:

Back to the top
i agree with you on the power thing - the point i was trying to make was reliability -20vt 225bhp in standard factory trim = reliable power ,no frequent charger rebuilds or slipping belts .My hearts kinda torn as ive always loved G60's but the lure of the 20v is getting stronger . Mind you if it was reliable i'd have to buy something else to tinker with at the weekends .

Back to the top
you guys all have valid points that the 20vT is more reliable and has more power and it is a more modern engine.. and I 'would' have probably planned to get one if I didn't have such a weak spot for the G60!

my last car was reliable and had a really strong engine.. it's just not fun though, I want an engine that needs care and lots of attention!

will have to see how my friends rado turns out.. he says he's hoping for over 300Bhp from the G60  8O he wouldn't say what's been done but I didn't really think it was possible for that much power?? If he's right, and it's not that much more unreliable…. I'll be copying his engine to show you 225Bhp 20vT boys that the old G60 can still outdo ya  :wink:

Back to the top
My mates chris's g60 syncro has just about everything done to it except a rebore to 2.0ltrs and its only 240 bhp , any more than that requires very deep pockets.

Back to the top
don't think he's had it bored out so he's probably exaggerating a fair bit! he's had the engine built for about a year now.. if he ever finishes it I'll be asking to see the rolling road results  :wink: and if he doesn't finish it in a year we've agreed he's got to give me the engine (I have 4 witnesses and there's about 9 months left, we shook on it so a deal is a deal :lol: ), bet he doesn't stick to it though!

even so 240Bhp is still more than enough, does your mate have any issues with it?

Back to the top
Only the charger belts kept slipping until we managed to up the spring pressure by fitting a second spring . One thing i never thought of though is the fact that when you fit the smaller pulley kits the charger spins faster making more power but the fact its spinning faster means the service intervals get shorter , Chris has been advised to rebuild his charger every 20,000 miles , which would be once a year for me .

Back to the top
ahh I see, makes sense..

still even rebuilding every year I'd still have one, maybe a little nieve I know but that's the engine i want.

:oops: don't know much about the ol' supercharger though (apart from the basics of how it works).. is a charger rebuild something that has to be done by the pro's? does it cost mega money?

Back to the top
Don't know much more than yourself but i think its a pro only job , my mate sends his up to jabbasport he's never let on how much it cost's he just lauches into technobabble and mentions teflon alot .

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.