Skip navigation

Sunroof repairs

Back to the top

Sunroof repairs

O dear  :( .  The car goes over to my uncles garage on sunday or monday to finish the welding work underneath and put some sill on.  We will also be tackling the sunroof area with the headling out of the way.  I think we will clean it up first and see what is left to weld to as he reckons he will be able to sort it.  I will get some more pictures of the progress.  Should the worst come to the worst how much would you want for another roof crazyquiff and could it be sent by courier?

Back to the top
8O Keep at it and don't lose interest . Its only rust .

If it was me i would look at changing the whole roof if i wanted a sunroof back .

You might get a sliding roof on there as the rot looks like its far enough away from the gutter , this would hide any old repairs you may have to do and give you the best of both worlds [ a sunshine roof and no rot ] .

Good luck with it Dan ……..

Back to the top
Doesn't look great in places, but I'd strip it back and clean it first to see what you really have before making decisions. Might be able to patch it from the inside and finish it off from the outside with filler.

As has been mentioned heat distortion is a real issue with a such panel and welding. Case of having the welder as low as possible, yet not so low the weld doesn't join, and allowing each tack to cool down before moving to the next. You've come this far with it, don't get to disheartened now.

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
daniboy - pm sent

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
The 1st MK1 Driver I had was about 7 years old at the time and quite bad rusting had started around the circular drain holes in the tray and on the aerofoil spoiler thingy. I de-rusted, repainted and waxoyed it to stop getting any worse. I can well imagine how its get like this after 25 years.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Im having flashbacks of this summer! Spent best part of my holidays repairing sunroof appeture,but it'l be worth it when its wound back next summer! Just keep that in mind.I tried to find a roof skin but could'nt.So i made three sections and welded them in. Let me know if you want the know-how,did'nt take many pics but have a look! It just needs skimming now and the rust wont be back :D

After cut out,shotblasting and rust killer to clean bare metal!

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
Tidy job !  Scirocco (and several other VW / Audi's) have same size sunroof, so they may be possible 'donors' for the surrounding metal ?  Profile of roof likely to be different, but easier than making plates up maybe ?
Cheers,
Mark

Back to the top
Im having flashbacks of this summer! Spent best part of my holidays repairing sunroof appeture,but it'l be worth it when its wound back next summer! Just keep that in mind.I tried to find a roof skin but could'nt.So i made three sections and welded them in. Let me know if you want the know-how,did'nt take many pics but have a look! It just needs skimming now and the rust wont be back

Rustmuncher i am impressed how are you getting on with the rear chassis ?

Cheers…….

Back to the top
chudd-pm sent....

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.