Skip navigation

Mystery Sensor on 1990 Cabby

Back to the top

Mystery Sensor on 1990 Cabby

I'm going to put this up for a debate, it's not connected but what is it. I've search the haynes manual, no luck, anyone got a Mk2 with this? Totally baffled so all ideas welcome, It's driving me mad, but the cars working fine  :dontknow:

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
If you have a 1990 + cab please look under your bonnet, what colour wire is the sensor connected to, Please PLEASE HELP. I need to know :wink:

Back to the top
Rob, is that bolted to your inlet manifold or exhorst manifold, cant really see it well from that pic. Fired up ETKA and looking.

Back to the top
it's connected on a bracket on the head, i must admit the pic looks as if its screwed into the manifold! I'll try and get a better picture posted.

:D

Back to the top
I have looked throu ETKA and all i can come up with is either a KNOCK sensor or a LAMDA probe. Been sifting through different years of manifolds. I expect the Lamda is  only for cars with ECU`s, not sure about the knock sensor thou. The pictures arnt very clear in ETKA so its more of squint and guess.

Just another point, it might of been added to the car in the past from a previous owner and has nothing to do with that engine. Also the engine code/tranny code would help in the search of your car, listed are loads of engines. Type of injection it uses as well. eg.. digipants..

any how, we will come up with an answer.

Back to the top
knock sensor is on the front of the block and the lamba probe would be on the exhaust manifold or down pipe so its NONE of these.
Not seen anything like that on a mk2 either not k-jet or digifant?????
Is it something of a system like k-star or similar????

Back to the top
definatly a very interesting part, I have a better picture, it conneted on a 90 degree angled braket off the head, it's definatly not a Digifant system as there is no CAT and the control head is black, I have read the digifant one is silver and has wires going to it.

Can you buy ETKA from anywhere so I can search? thank for all your help in this quest for knowledge  :banghead:

Rob

Back to the top
I've had a quick look on ETOS, similar to ETKA and I've seen something on one of the diagrams that looks a bit like that…

191 919 521 B - thermal switch cylinder head for models with radiator fan run-on for models with towing facility. It says its blue and the switch opens at 110 oC

Does you car have any sign of a towbar??!!

Back to the top
It does not have any signs of a tobar being fitted, but I ahd a few sugestions its may be a radiator run out switch, there is a wire tied to earth ( I suspect it may have gone here), but the fan does run on when the igniton is swicthed off. The wire is brown/white.

Back to the top
Thermal switch cylinder head with models with radator fan run-on for models with towing facility.

I do belive i have found it!.. it looked to me as a temp sensor of sorts, SO here is the ETKA part number 191 919 521B  

And here is the etka screen grab.
http://uk.geocities.com/satelliteone/sensor_thermal.jpg

What do you rekon Robb?

Back to the top
well bugger me beaten to it!!!!…lol  whilst making my last post!….Grrr ross..lol

Back to the top
Well done both, must be unused then, whats the brown/wht wire for? its connected to the rocker cover with the earth strap.

Rob

Back to the top
Now that is done, anyone got an idea why my headlight high beam warning lamp works most of the time an then stops…..got the MOT friday bet it will be a non-working day  :banghead:

Back to the top
my estimation is the sensor was used in conjuction with the coolant sensor. so when times where hot under the bonnet, the sensor above the manifold switched on the fan. Even when the keys where out of the ignition.

I could do with the same sort of idea for my carb. When the manifold heats up the petrol remaining in the carb, it a bugger to start. after 2-3 mins. Bad design! Perhaps a home made plate might suffice..mmmm  itchy chin monent comming on!

any how robb i dont think you need to worry and i have`nt got a clue what the colour is for the wire. You could alway try to trace it to see if it has anything to do with the cooling fan circuit.

Back to the top
thats got to be the dash i rekon!. Dumb LED fault. MMMmmm.. looks like a strip down and resolder the joints in the rear of the dash. maybe

Back to the top
Could well be, I had a 1985 transporter a long while ago and I though the LEDs were pushed into a holder? I did tap the dash but it didn't come back on, Oh well I'll dust of the multimeter and soldering Iron tommorow and have a look  :D

Back to the top
Well done both, must be unused then, whats the brown/wht wire for? its connected to the rocker cover with the earth strap.
The brown and white wire is supposed to be there, its the earth for the dash! Lots of odd problems occur to your instruments when the wire is disconnected. Its often forgotten and not reattached after the rocker covers been removed.

I'm not sure what your full beam LED prob could be, could well be something to do with the dash itself like satelliteone suggests, or a prob with the stalk switch. Try and make some sense of the wiring diagrams in the haynes and follow the wires… that'll keep you busy!

satelliteone -
well bugger me beaten to it!!!!
What a snap hey! :lol:

Cheers,

Ross

Back to the top
the brown/wht wire has a join in it and the earth strap on the roacker is looking dirty so I clean it up and redo the join, it's probabley corroded inside if its been there a while. the wiring diagrams in haynes are easy to follow just frustarting when trying to identify something  8O

I had a MG midget before this and the wiring diagram for the whole car covered one page   :lol:

Back to the top
Awesome, you managed to solve my problems i think, I've gota brown with white wire just hanging in limbo (was wondering what it was for) and got problems with my instruments reading weird values at the moment. Gonna connect it up on my lunch break and see what happens!!

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
Sounds like this wire need to be noted as a sticky if that solves your problem too, I will let you know how the flasher light behaves when I've cleaned up my connection :D

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.