Skip navigation

Pass the angle grinder - lots of pics

Back to the top

Pass the angle grinder - lots of pics

Yep working outdoors, not that cold now though :D . I'm getting into fabricating my own bits, cost next to nothing very rewarding. Have been inspired by a mate who has made all manner of bits, including brake disc dust covers, for his 1985 RX7 (parts really scarce).

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
:clap: great work... as usual :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Had another weekend on the GTI and sorted out the fixing point for the rear O/S  seatbelt. I used a M12 VW nut rear beam nut (N 022 141 4) as this fitted the seat belt bolt. This was welded onto a 2mm bit of steel to ensure that the nut doesn't just pull through the thin body metal in an accident. I made the 'stress' plate out of the remains of a B&Q fence bracket which I had used to make an injector puller :lol:

(Edit 05/06/06: M12 Nut was too big - M12 bolt would not fit through the spacer or seatbelt back. The original bolt is actually an imperial fitting 7/16 UNF - not metric fine as first thought. So you need an imperial nut or use M10 nut and bolt)  

Stress plate (drilled for plug welding) and nut.

I drilled a 12mm hole (bolt in position) and a 6.5 hole for seatbelt.

Plate plug welded into place.

Also welded joiner plate for rear panel to tyre well….

…and welded outer sill repair section into place

Bank hoiliday weekend soon so hoping to refit the fuel gear and rear beam :pray:

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Just found this post again - looks like you're about 1 day ahead of me in the rebuilding of the car! Yep, thankfully the rain has so far stayed away and the bank holiday is an ideal time for cracking on with a bit of welding and refitting! (I'm on a break now, letting some welds cool down…….)

Back to the top
mark first time i read this post, it was first up a while ago when my current isp wasn't cutting the mustard.
fine work there. when i take my rear arch spats off i hope they are ok, that is a full on resto going on over there!
do you live on heath rd? i saw a white GTi and another mk1 under a cover on heath road on friday, it must be you.
look forward to seeing the car on the road soon keep up the good work
 :wink:
Jjl.

1982 Non Sunroof Black 1600 GTI

2003 MKIV Golf PD150 GT TDI

Back to the top
Keep up the good work Mark.  I have eventually taken some pics of my Golf. Problem is that I think that they are still in the camera.
Next problem will be attaching them to the thread when I start it.
Cheers for sorting out my last attempt (unpimp your ride) :y:

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
do you live on heath rd? i saw a white GTi and another mk1 under a cover on heath road on friday, it must be you.

No, I live in Wivenhoe my GTI's at my parents over Ipswich way, I've no driveway :banghead: . Do you mean Old Heath rd? Have to have a look next time I driving that way

Stick some pics up Macca, there's a how to attach photos thread in the Websites Issue part of the forum.

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Been struggling to get a lot done over the last month, but finally not far off getting it back on the road for the end of the summer (probably not Gaydon though :( )

Homemade fuel pump basket cut to shape, brackets from original welded on and painted (one more coat of Hammerite should do).

Seatbelt refitted.

Tyrewell painted up.

Rear arch and quarter with filler primer for final sanding

Four or so coats of Alpine White.

Hopefully be sorting out brake and fuel lines this weekend.

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
The end is in sight eh?

Did you use a spray gun or cans for the painting?  Tis a good finish.

Top job on the pump basket.  Definitely saved yourself a couple of quid there!

Banner

Back to the top

markwon said

No, I live in Wivenhoe my GTI's at my parents over Ipswich way, I've no driveway :banghead: . Do you mean Old Heath rd? Have to have a look next time I driving that way

Stick some pics up Macca, there's a how to attach photos thread in the Websites Issue part of the forum.

Cheers

Have now posted my own restoration thread. Have managed to sort out the picture problem.  Most of the pics that you have posted are identical to the rust problems that I have.
You must be glad that you can now about see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I was hoping to make a lot of headway into my car whilst I'm on holiday, but I twisted my knee whilst attempting to play tennis with the kids whilst in Norfolk on holiday last week.  Knees up like a balloon and doc says to rest it.  what a bummer.

Keep up the good work :y:

Back to the top
Macca - where's the thread, can't see it in the restoration section :dontknow: . It's amazing how mk1's rot in such a similar way, have you seen paul c's thread?  Hope the knee gets better soon, your mk1 needs you :lol: .

Did you use a spray gun or cans for the painting? Tis a good finish

Just did it with a can. Top quality aerosol though - Max Meyer cellulose paint mixed by local paint factor, very good match and finish. Costs about ?10 a can, but so much better than any of that Hellfrauds/Holt etc rubbish. Will be giving it a proper re-spary in the future, but bodywork needs more work first.

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
A few more pics….

O/S inner/outer sill repairs complete

View of inner sill repair, quite pleased managed to keep inner sill mouldings :D

Set about trying to save petrol tank heatshield, lots of surface rust, but all solid. Bottom pic shows underseal cleaned off to reveal clean anodised metal - were they like this from the factory? Going to rust treat and paint high temp paint.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
soak it overnight in DeoxC - will come up gleaming steel

Back to the top
To late I''ve painted it  :banghead:  . Is DeoxC that good?

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
yes i think its good very handy and no hard work! 24hours and give it a bit of a wash and slosh about with a paint brush and the rust is gonnnnnnnnnnnnnne!

i soaked a few gear shift components which had patchy yellow plate like your sheild and it even took it off!

Back to the top
I seen the stuff advertised before, but I'm never quite sure about such 'wonder products'. From what you say though worth trying out, got plenty of other bits to clean up. To be honest the tank gaurd is going to get a bit of punishment where it is so probably best painted up.

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top

markwon said

Macca - where's the thread, can't see it in the restoration section :dontknow: . It's amazing how mk1's rot in such a similar way, have you seen paul c's thread?  Hope the knee gets better soon, your mk1 needs you :lol: .

Did you use a spray gun or cans for the painting? Tis a good finish

Just did it with a can. Top quality aerosol though - Max Meyer cellulose paint mixed by local paint factor, very good match and finish. Costs about ?10 a can, but so much better than any of that Hellfrauds/Holt etc rubbish. Will be giving it a proper re-spary in the future, but bodywork needs more work first.

Cheers

My thread is titled My 1982 1800 GTI, it is on about page 3.
Knees getting there, so much so that I am going to get back out to the Golf after lunch, make the most of the good weather. :wink:

Back to the top
Been a while since an update, almost back together now. Just got to fit engine bay to rear brake lines and rear drums. The Automec brake lines are a good fit and the only real difficult area was the n/s line from the pressure regulator, this required quite a bit of tricky shaping and molding.

Took a couple of hours to get running, wouldn't fire at first ended up resetting the air mass plate which seemed to be a bit out of adjustment and it fired back into to life. Only problem is fuel weeping from the non-return valve on the fuel pump (bottom photo). I have replaced the copper washers and it has a new pump to accumulator fuel hose so can only assume problem with valve :dontknow:  have ordered a new one

Refurbed goodies ready to refit…

Homemade fuel basket finished.

Upward view on new o/s inner acrh with breather gear and filler neck in place. Used stainless steel fittings to help prevent future rust.

Refurbed rear beam.

Rear beam fitted :D

Fuel leaking!

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
8) another fine Markwon update

IIRC I had the same small leak, sanded the face of the big nut down a little which seemed to cure it  :dontknow: might be worth a try

from the pic it doesn't look like the valve leaking

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Cheers phill, have already tried sanding down surfaces, initially they were so rough they pitted the first set of new washers. Seemed to have sorted it, but started to leak after minute or so of running. Photo doesn't quite show it bit fuel appears to be coming from either side of where the hose union slides over the valve. Hose is new (leaked with the old one), washers are new so assume can only be valve or dome nut.

How's your 1600 GTI going?

Cheers

1983 1100 C
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.