Skip navigation

Pass the angle grinder - lots of pics

Back to the top

Pass the angle grinder - lots of pics

Still working on getting the GTI back on the road, got sidetracked recently fitting new pads/discs, fuel filler neck and rear springs/shocks to my mk1 C :roll: .

Decided to tackle spare tyre well while fuel tank etc still off car. This is how it was with muppet-style patch over the rust repairs from a previous owner.

Already looks better with rot cut out, despite the big hole.  The upper rear band of the well was salvable. Unfortunatley, the previous owner repairs had involved tacking 3mm steel to this area from behind (which I could not get at) so it all had to come out.

Cut out section with 'new' section courtesy of Crazyquiff

Section cut to size and trial fitted - will weld it in this weekend.

New rear struts, re-painted springs/filler neck and other bits ready to fit.

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top

Like a glove  :y:

those previous repairs looked simply slapped in there to get an MOT

done a great job

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Cheers Phill :D , did you have to do anything to the tyre well on yours?

those previous repairs looked simply slapped in there to get an MOT

You'd think so, but looks like they spent quite a bit of time bodging. The quality of the actually welding looks good, but they seemed to have just slapped patch over patch covering areas of metal that weren't even rusty :dontknow: . The old metal I cut out was 2-3 sheets thick in places and weighed over twice as much as it should.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
suprisingly that was fine on mine, apart from a tiny bit of surface rust around the centre drain hole, and the support between that and the rear panel was almost completely gone

is there much more to weld up on yours?

I think if it's worth going through the effort of welding it up, it's worth doing it properly so the repair is hardly noticable

will be a very strong and rust free car when you've finished

Back to the top
is there much more to weld up on yours?

Oh yes, yes, yes…. inner sills need attention in areas (doing the front O'S at the moment). The front inner wings have been patched in a couple of places before and I would like to the re-do this properly. Also got the dreaded scuttle panel rot around the bottom of the windscreen. Has been leaking over the fusebox for the last year or so causing various electrical probs. Got a decent fusebox to stick in, but don't want to do this until leak is fixed.

Want to get it on the road for the summer though so once tyre well and sills sorted will put it back together so it is mobile and can be wheeled in out of the garage ready for front screen out and more surgery. The front inner wings do not require a lot of stripping to work on (outer wings off) so I will be doing these over a weekend here and there in the summer.

Going to take it off the road again next winter to finish it off good and proper. Long term have new genuine front wings and a sound sunroof panel to go on. Genuine front panel was done last year, rear panel was done by previous owner 4-5 years ago.

When all the bodywork is finished be ready for a respray (probably next summer :roll: ).

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
ahh the scuttle panel memories!  :lol: once I got the windscreen out that bit was suprisingly easy

alot of work but you'll have a nice solid car when your finished

will you be spraying it yourself? (think I asked before but my memory is worse than a fish!)

Back to the top
Not really sure about spraying at the moment, would like to do myself if I can get the space but full paint job is going to have to wait till next winter. Will re-spray repaired areas and make it look good for the summer.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
That panel looks just right - Glad an old shell can save another  :D

Got some more of those if anyone else wants one.

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
good ol crazyquiff to the rescue once again, lol  :y: :y:

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
markwon you are …..

Looking good ……..:notworthy:

Back to the top
Finished the spare tyre well….

Repair section welded into place

New metal tacked into place

All welded up

Seam sealed

Going to finish repairs to front O/S sill and scuttle and get it back on the road for the summer.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Well done mark . Good job very pro looking .   :D

Cheers…………

Back to the top
Nice one Mark. I'm going to have to do my wheel well in same place. Can you buy repair panels or does it have to be off a doner car?

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cheers, VW only did a complete panel and this is now dicontinued, didn't look into pattern panels.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Nice to see the stuff I've sold getting another MK1 on the road.

Good bit of welding there  :D

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Excellent work Mark :clap: I have started my very first restoration, a 1982 GTI in Black. Looking at the pictures, it's obviously a bad point for rust as mine is the same.
I just bought 2 outer rear wing sections, both inner rear wing replacement panels, both rear chassis leg replacement panels, both lower rear corners, a lower rear panel, a lower front panel and 2 front wings for mine.
Have been spending time stripping things back ready to fit the new panels.
Your pictures will help.  Do you think that I will be able to fit the inner rear arch without removing and replacing the filler neck panel?
Will take some pictures when I can find the camera and post shortly.
Will probably send a few pm seeking advice.
Keep up the good work :y:
Well the sun is shining and the car aint going to fix it's self.  Back to the grind :D
Macca

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
Cheers Macca (and others), be good to some pics of how you are getting on. Not sure about the the inner arch, seem to remember trial fitting it with old filler panel still in place so should be fine. Main thing is to get rid of all the old bits of the inner arch to ensure good fit, particularly where it is spot welded to the uspenion turret side of the arch. Feel free to ask any other questions :D .

Good luck

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Managed to get a bit more done on the GTI at the bank holiday weekend.

Thought I'd sort out the front O/S sill which was looking particularly bad 8O

After cutting and grinding back found rust had gone into where the outer sill/inner sill/floor flanges meet and had to remove quite a bit of metal. Ended up welding a length of new flange to the floor

Repairs to inner sill (butt welded to inner floor flange)

Small repair section made up for foremost part of inner sill

Welded into place

Also having a go at making a fuel pump basket. Took the measurements from what was left of my old one, bent it to shape using bits of wood and welded it up. Needs a bit more work and brackets welding to it, but wuite pleased with the results.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Thought I'd sort out the front O/S sill which was looking particularly bad

Shock horror …usually caused by jacking the car up over years on the sill .
Mark takes it all in his stride and welds away  :lol:

Mark are you working on this out side all the time ? If so top job and even more credit points for you ………

Cheers………

Back to the top
He make it look easy doesn't he?!

Well done Mark keep it up  :D I'm loving all the self fabrication

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.