Skip navigation

Stiff to get it into the first slot.

Back to the top

Stiff to get it into the first slot.

good stuff paul_c , take some pics as you do it if you get the chance !

type17 -  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Glad it's running smooth again Greg.  I'm a complete novice when it comes to cars.  I'll be purchasing a Haynes manual soon.  How easy is it to drain the fluid etc…..?

'82 Silver 1600 GTI Original

Back to the top

VAGSOL said

Glad it's running smooth again Greg.  I'm a complete novice when it comes to cars.  I'll be purchasing a Haynes manual soon.  How easy is it to drain the fluid etc…..?

So long as you have the right tool(s), its easy to change the fluid - easier than the engine oil. You'll need a 17mm male hex socket, I have one with a 3/8" square drive which makes it handy. Also the basics such as a bowl to drain the oil into, a hammer to 'persuade' the sump drain plug undone, etc. Latex gloves are useful because gearbox oil is horrible and smelly.

Take the car for a run first, and also someone else offered a top tip - make sure you can undo the filler plug, before you drain it!

Back to the top
Cheers Paul and Greg.  I'll have to give it a go this weekend.  Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes  :D

Back to the top
Ok got the gear oil and the 17mm hex :D

I'm a complete novice and apologies for been so naive but where do I find the drain and the filler plug.  Does anyone have a picture to illustrate?? :dontknow:

Back to the top
I'm pleased to report that I have successfully overcome the original problem, which was a stiffness to get it into first. I think what made the difference was replacing the side-side gear linkages, which don't come as part of the gearbox bush kit, but which are still available from VW Dealerships. Apparently the part numbers vary, but mine were:

W171 711 574 B         ?5.78+VAT
W171 711 593 E         ?7.92+VAT

I had earlier changed the transmission fluid, I didn't feel any change once this was done, but I suspect its benefits are more long-term. For info, the drain plug is on the bottom of the differential, and my filler/level hole was on the far left of the transmission, accessible just to the right of the front wheel.

To change the side-side linkages, you need to unclip the clip from the plastic socket, then lever it up. I removed the intake pipe and it was a fair stretch into the engine bay, to reach them, but took around 15-20 mins all told.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.