Skip navigation

SA 1.3 Citi or UK Mk1 diesel??

Back to the top

SA 1.3 Citi or UK Mk1 diesel??

Which out of the 2 would you have?

Mint 1994 South African Golf Citi in white (everything is white!). Just over ?1k.

Or a UK 1980 78k mile diesel with mk2 interior. Under ?1k.

???

S

Back to the top
the diesel for me, hate citi golfs, but thats my choice :dontknow:

Back to the top
saft comment if you dont own a citi,like me saying i hate porsche,even though i have never tried one
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
They are both 5 door, but one is white, the other is red, one is newer and the other is older.

Plus for the diesel is its only down the road (around 1hr). But B'ham is only 2.5hrs………….

S

Back to the top
pros and cons mate, the diesel will go forever (if miles are genuine and it aint rotten) the citi wont need welding, painting or mechanics, drive em both before you commit. im a fan of diesels and a fan of citis too. take somebody with you that knows about cars mate or get aa inspection etc,
paul

Back to the top
Guess you know who the Citi is from ;)

The diesel has some rust bubbling on the roof. And been resprayed.

But the Citi is very new compared. But has the awful scalop on the rear 3/4 panel :(

S

Back to the top
i wouldnt worry to much about the scallop mate :wink:  have you a link for the diesel?

Back to the top
No, I was PM'ed on E38. Can post details if people want. It is based in Bournmouth and he wants ?850.

I am steering more towards the Citi as it is far newer!

S

Back to the top
Is the diesel a 1.5 then?  :|
I like the Citi's - just as eyecatching and you'll be getting a lot newer car for your money! From what I've heard, better brakes, air con etc. What's wrong with the scalop?!!!  :wink:

Back to the top
Its a 1.6 diesel on 82/83 plate.

Any good? Tempted as it is only a short distance from me.

The Citi, doesn't have a/c or central locking :(

S

Back to the top
I love the 1.6 diesels, they do last well. BUT, even though the diesel's nearer to you, the extra miles coming back in a mint Citi will be comfier & quieter!  8)  You wouldn't have to worry about rust on the Citi for AGES yet I wouldn't have thought…whereas the diesel's showin the usual visible rust - as you say it's obviously a lot older. Good luck whichever you choose - it's down to your preference after all! :wink:

Back to the top

Bert said

saft comment if you dont own a citi,like me saying i hate porsche,even though i have never tried one
Bert

Take a chill pill dude,  :evil:

i dont like them and thats my choice, this is what the guy was asking for peoples comments,  :banghead:

Darren

Back to the top
Get the Diesel. They'll be no Petrol left by the weekend :wink:

85 Polo squareback
MK1 MX5

Back to the top
The diesel is cheaper as well. Only rust (so far!) is slight surface on the roof and the odd patch.

No respray and not covered that many miles.

But as you say the Citi is newer.

S

Back to the top
get the diesel mate, dont worry about the rust it comes and goes 8O

Back to the top
Going to see it on Thursday as I am working around that area on that day.

S

Back to the top
Is the diesel a five speed?

Back to the top
Yes, 4+e box fitted.

S

Back to the top
In that case it should get a healthy 60mpg depending what kind of driving you'll be doing (I get about 65mpg because I use open roads at about 60mph always in 5th gear for 17 miles rarely having to change down - even to overtake) but you can still get good mpg in town stopping and starting all the time. Mines still a smooth drive and pokey as ever with 137,000 miles on the clock. There's always other engines you can wack straight in, should it go bang (Mk2 GTD, Mk2 1.9d, caddy diesels etc. even mk3 ones if you know how) as long as you keep on top of the bodywork of course.
I'd make sure you see them both of the cars if you can, then you won't regret not giving them both a fair chance before you buy.  :wink:

Back to the top
Cheers.

I hear you can bolt on the turbo from the Passat 1.6TD. Is that an easy mod?

S
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.