Skip navigation

budget respray

Back to the top

budget respray

as the piant is not so good on my mk1 im thinking of doing a respray myself on a budget. i dont have a power supply where i would be doing it so id be useing cans. i have been told if i go for the same colour i will not need to undercoat it. is this right? can any one please give me advice on this. also why does my tail light go out when the indicator comes on and how do i fix this?

Back to the top
Russwood

Hi it will take loads of cans and will still require prep work and primer before top coat . The cost will be very high and the finish poor . If a quick tidy up is required and i am being serious go the hand paint route with a brush , there are still kits for hand painting cars [Halfords do "Repaint"] results can be very good . Failing that have a trip round the local body repair places and find out how much a Budget respray would be .

Your light problem will be caused by a bad earth or a corroded bulb holder , have a search on the forum and you will find the answer

Cheers…..

Back to the top

chudd said

If a quick tidy up is required and i am being serious go the hand paint route ..

Are you mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My paint job only cost ?350 - if you ask about your local body shops, you d=should be able to get a resonable deal for cash if you do the prep work… If you paint it with cans, you will be dissapointed….

Back to the top

No if you can get me full paint paint job for ?350.00 i want your baby  . My materials cost ?350.00 , that leaves ? NOWT

Get real you got a Barrow job , the best quote i had was ?1000 and that was a rust free shell repaint . I see people on here paying ?1500-?2000  

The guy asked for some advice i gave it -no power scruffy car - spend a fortune on cans repaint it or find that bargain re-spray . Why did you not say you could do him a re-spray for ?350.00 . I will be in the que at that price . Free labour a bargain , i must live in the wrong part of the country ! Why are you not in business doing repaints at that price  8O

I am learning  8O

When can i drop my and car off and can you do my mates :D  

Sorry about the mix up russwood you can get a full repaint for ?350.00 drop Al-MK1 a pm and he will paint your car for that price , nice one , job done , wish i had seen his offer before . Now going off to the real world take care  cheers……….

Thanks ……..

Back to the top
Got a full respray for ?200. Doors, bonnet and bootlid included.  8)

Durabuild high build primer cost me ?80 on top.

Did the prep work myself (I work in the automotive industry)
Got the top coat and lacquer free from work
Knew the guy that painted it, so got a half decent deal.

If it were me, I'd by a decent compressor and paint gun, get some high build primer like durabuild, or similar from Scott Bader, and lash the primer coats on yourself in your garage.

That way, you can control costs, get out all the ripples and learn a bit about the process on the way. I'd prime and flat the vehicle to 800 grade three times over. Get yourself a decent rubbing block from Kingfisher for the large surfaces. Get the final rub down to 1000 - 1500 using a guide coat to pick out the last of your ripples.

Then take it to a paint shop to have it blown over with top coat and lacquer. In my opinion, painting top coat is an art form,  and should be left to the professionals - do not attempt it yourself - you will only be kickng yourself later for not doing it right!

PS. If you intend to drive it to the paint shop for it's top coat, make sure that you do it on a dry sunny day, as many high build primers will absorb water.

Shonky

Shonky

'82 Mk1 GTI 1870 160bhp
'83 Mk1 GTI 1800 (Now deceased)
'80 Mk1 GTI 1600 (Now deceased)
'83 Mk1 GTI 1800 (Now deceased)
'81 Mk1 Golf 'C' 1093 (Long-Awaiting racecar transformation)
Audi A8 Sport (Gone but not forgotten)
Toyota MR2 MK1

Back to the top

chudd said

Get real you got a Barrow job…
Why are you not in business doing repaints at that price…
When can i drop my and car off and can you do my mates…
drop Al-MK1 a pm and he will paint your car for that price…

Now going off to the real world take care  cheers……….

Thanks ……..

Wow - did you get out of bed on the wron side or did you have a bad day at work or something?

Firstly, I did not say I did it my self - if you want me to paint your car, I will gladly do it for you, though it will be grim…

Secondly, I think I am the one living in a real world here. Anyone who even considers paying ?1200 plus for a paint job is out of their tree, even on a show car, that is too much IMO.
And as far as me having a "Barrow Job" (Whatever that means :dontknow: ), the paint was good enough to pick me up Best Mk1 custom and Best Water-cooled for the second year running at Volksfest in Margam Park yesterday (Not that I think the car deserved the later title…).

I only piad ?350 cos I just wanted the car to be presentable. I wasn't hoing for a top job, but it isn't too bad at all! I did ALL of the prep. The painter literally pushed the car into the booth ran the spray gun over it and mopped it.

It can be done on a budget, you just gotta look in the right places and be prepared to do some of the donkey work yourself…

AL.

Back to the top
Handbags ladies!!

Campaign Mk 1 Black

16v Mk2 Red (decsd )

Back to the top
Quoting Crazyquiff 'It's all in the prep work!'…  this is so true!

I think most sprayer's will blast over your car with top coat for around the ?300 mark and if you pay any more they saw you coming IMO

the 'hard' work is in the prep work and why it costs so much money.. Not getting runs in the top coat just takes practice!

Around here a full respray including prep to the same as Al's would be around ?1200 or more! If you do the prep work yourself and have a big enough garage + compressor.. I'd say have a go yourself (but I would say that  :wink: ) and there's nothing stopping you respraying an area or two that your not happy with! just my view anyway

Including the compressor, gun, paint etc.. it cost me about ?500 but I can respray any part of the car if needed

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqpnt.htm#sanding

Theres loads of advice out there aswell.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
Surely paint and materials is going to set you back more than ?300 unless you "know someone"? I know I spend more than I think on paper, tape, sanding discs, blocks, primer, paint, thinners,  etc. It all adds up!

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Good link there Pete… lots of good tips and info!  :y:

Dubboy, Paint cost me ?230 inc. thinners, a huge roll of masking paper and some stopper (which is a waste of time and money if you ask me) and have enough left over to spray the roof and rear quarter's again at least.. I expect a business would get it alot cheaper than that too, but you do get through alot of sand paper/discs on prep work.. final sanding of the top coat is pretty light IMO

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
My pennies worth for what its worth.

I'm another home done pain job. All the paint and materials came to just over ?200 for me, and that was thru trade connections about 5 years ago now. (2 pack paint, masking tape, tack cloths, wet n dry paper, primer, stone chip etc etc etc… the list goes on !!).

I agree with the "Its all in the prep work", if the prep work is good then so is the end job. The only bit extra we did was to rub it down with wet n dry after we had sprayed it to get  flat finish, then compunded and polished by hand which I do not recommend to do by hand as it took 5 days and I had no skin on the ends of my fingers afterwards.

One word of advice - if your gonna spray it yourself in a garage, make sure you put water on the floor before you start as it keeps the dust down and stops it getting in the paint.  :wink:

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top
well i have had both mine painted,

MK1 GTI full re-spray ?800

Cabrio full re-spray ?600-?700 Won 3 shows this year and a full mag feature, so you dont need to spend thousands to get a good job,

And i have seen AL's mk1 and it is a very good job,

Darren

Back to the top

Daisy said

well i have had both mine painted,

MK1 GTI full re-spray ?800

Cabrio full re-spray ?600-?700 Won 3 shows this year and a full mag feature, so you dont need to spend thousands to get a good job,

And i have seen AL's mk1 and it is a very good job,

Darren

Hi Darren - just replied to your pm - cheers for the pics. Can't believe how cheap your resprays were - did they do any prep/finish for that - are you related to them or have to do sexual favours? Well impressed!!!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
For a valid price comparison I think you have to be clear on what work was done for example, interior, engine compartment, underneath etc. The condition of the car will also make a big difference on the amount of prep work necessary. Additionally the amount of warranty given on the work gives you some confidence the paint quality will last (any paint job looks great for a year). Finally even the choice of paint and whether it is a metallic or not will make a change. Without this info it makes the "my respray cost this much.." discussion a bit pointless IMO.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
…also makes a big difference if you have a mate or know someone who'll do you a special rate. Speaking to a mechanic a while ago, he told about a mk1 Ford Capri 3 Litre that he had been restoring. His friend at a bodyshop did the Capri two pack/low bake etc for ?350. Normally they would charge a member of the public ?1000 + for that sort of job 8O

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Aye, mates rates! While going to bodyshops I also found a difference depending on how busy they were. Some said they would do it cheaper as there was not much on, but others openly admitted they would quote high as they were snowed under and not too keen on taking more work on (overtime pay, etc).

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
I'm doing a replacement bumper for my Audi** with cans at the moment. Ok, it's only a bumper and I've done it before, but I don't think there is any reason why it can't be done on the whole car.

You need.

1. Patience, and an ability to stop yourself from hurrying
2. Well Ventilated garage
3. Patience, and an ability to stop yourself from hurrying
4. Space to work in
5. Patience, and an ability to stop yourself from hurrying
6. Time, care and attention to the prep and sanding
7. Patience, and an ability to stop yourself from hurrying
8. Allowing adequate drying time

Did I mention patience?

Cheers,

Drew.

** - Because I parked it on  a hill, left the handbrake on and the rear brakes cooled down :cry:. Lampost came off better. :wink:

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
I have had mixed results with rattle cans. Even when well shaken some drip like mad when near the end which means you can only use 3/4 of it. Autopaint cans seemed OK though and I have never done a decent job with metallic laquer on a blend in.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
He is a friend but not like a great mate, and the engine didnt come out but all windows were taken out.

and i have some sinking to the welded up sunroof and he will be sorting that out, as he said it would happen, and as for rust or anything like that he has a very good rep on the vw scence and has painted lots of show winning cars, so his rep and standard of work his very high to him.

Like you said it depends on how much prep the car needs, my Cabrio needed hardly none as the gti needed lots and lots, so yes i got a very good price, so good that mark83 on here his using him,

Hairy sexual favours, well i never :oops:

Darren
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.