Skip navigation

do you remember your first time ?

Back to the top

do you remember your first time ?

16 years ago now......1.6GTI OSS 774W

'91 Cabriolet

Back to the top
My first Mk1 was actually a Mk2. i bought an old smashed up 8V GTi and painstakingly repaired it. it was quick, sounded great and held the road well enough to make me smile even when i was in a really really bad mood.

My loving wife lovingly wrote it off on my 28th birthday. but she did buy me my Mk1 clipper to make up for it.  :D

Woohoo, no leaks... splash... Damn!...

Back to the top
My 1st and only last year, in summer, 19 when bought, 2.0 8v, 1 month after passed my test, very pleased when taken out for a test drive, couldnt believe how fast it got to 100mph compared to my last and only other car  :lol:  Will never 4get that.
Reg: MGH 178Y - if anyone is reading this that has owned it.
Want to restore it to almost toally standard, other that the vital bits that need uprating, which are mostly done already.  :D

Simon R - YouTube

MGH 178Y - 16v - Gone :(

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
My first VW, after a run on Fords and Datsuns was a yellow mk1 polo 1ltr on an S plate (1978) back in 1985, it was very nippy, light and fun to drive. The mpg was somewhere around the 40 mpg mark. It was the best car that I have ever driven (IMO) and miles better than a Golf. I had to scrap it in the end because the straw was poking though the drivers seat and the rear arches had rotted out  :cry:

Back to the top
mine is ryy 297k its actually a w reg . got it off mr rossy on this site a few months ago . top bloke  :y: . the first and only time i have driven a mk1 was when i reversed it off the low loader and in to my garage  :oops:  so i still have it all to look forward to 1 day

Back to the top
My first mk1 was a 1983 1.3 CL model, PYM 723Y which I paid ?175 for with a years MOT and lots of dodgey repairs, but I didn't care then, I was 17, and it was my first car!! Scapped it about a year later when it failed the MOT. When the guy was inspecting the sills for the MOT, he gave them a tap with a hammer, and the biggest chunk of filler you've ever seen in your life fell out! Seems there literally was no metal part of the sill left on the left hand side front  8O  8O  Apart from that, the shell wasn't actually too bad, but it needed new shocks and a new clutch, so it had to go.  Always promised myself I'd buy another one though!

Didn't own another one until 2 years ago, when I brought my 1983 cabriolet GTi. Best decision I ever made buying that was!! Never looked back.  :D  :D

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
My 1st car was a '73 VW Beetle 1300.  My second car, when i was 18, was an '83 (Y plate) Mars Red 1300 Golf CL.  Flippin' loved that car, but always wanted a mk1 GTI.  Passenger seat got a lot of use back then lol  8O

1991 MK2 Golf G60 20VT

1991 MK2 Golf GTI 16V Oak Green

www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk

Back to the top
my first mk1 was my first car, diamond silver 5 door 1457cc GLS UYD 356W
absolutely loved that car, even though it burst nearly every single water hose during the time I had it, did me very proud carting all my mates around everywhere in it, I think I had 9 people in it at one point! 8)  :lol:

I've only ever owned mk1s, moved on to a GTI cab after that, and now my present one, plus a mk1 scirocco at the moment too :mrgreen:

black 5 door mk1 GTD

mk1 scirocco Gli in bits

Back to the top
Still got my first mk1, a black gti campaign. Although after 3 years of daily driving i put its feet up for a bit of loving (2 months ago) :wink: cant wait to get it sorted, its been so long it'll be like driving it for the first time again! Woo Hoo.  :P

Black MK1 GTI Campaign SOLD
Blue T5 GP 2010 Transporter (Van)
Orange M6L 2012 Brompton (Bike)
Neversummer 2012 Revolver (Snowboard)

Back to the top
Lhasa green series two Y reg had to sell due to insurance companys giving it the hot hatch joyriders car tag. sold to nieghbour his 18 year old son wrote it off 6 six months later, put the golf on its roof going around a roundabout and hitting a lorry.  :cry:  :cry:

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
Way back in 1987 purchase of my first flat in Glasgow meant a step back (?) from an A plate Nova SR to TGB954W, a 1.3 Driver in the best colour, mandarin orange. It was very original S1 model with small back lights, GTi steelies, houndstooth check seats, wolfsburg steering wheel etc etc. It had no MOT, holes in all six sections of exhaust and not much paint as it lived in the outfall region of Ravenscraig steelworks. Got it for ?300. Got it thru MOT for the cost of a complete exhaust (?125 - ouch) and was very surprised on how well it drove in comparison to the Nova. Ran it for the next 18months, painting it and fitting 14" BBS RAs. It was great car and I eventually traded it in for a Polo Coupe S and got ?900 for it! Due to its originality and rarity, wish I still had it. Defining moment this car was as since then at least a dozen MK1s have passed through my hands........

It's where the steering wheel should be…..

1978 1.6GTi LHD

1979 1.1N LHD

1981 1.5CL LHD

1981 1.6GTi LHD

1982 1.6GLi Cabrio

none of which are on the road !!!!

Back to the top
just got my first mk1 she needs a bit of work . keeps missing at 3000rpm XLW507x but its all good . can't wait to get her sorted

Back to the top
lahsa green campaign a513rws. loved that car to bits. hope she's well and happy.

Back to the top
mk1 1.6D ybf 951x gambia red 5 door,ace car
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
This thread was inactive for 2.5yrs then it's brought back  :lol:  :lol: That's what's good about here  :wink:

Anyway, my first is the one I've still got, paid too much for it upon reflection four and a bit years ago, spent loads on it but it's mine  :mrgreen: mechanically it's sound but needs a paint  :roll: STILL!!!!  :roll:  :roll:

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top
OTV 57W - Mars Red 1.1 that I bought for £500 from Chesterfield car auctions while at uni. I was very lucky - totally solid underneath with the original underseal present all over and completely reliable - mind you it was only about 15 years old at the time!

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top
HEN302N I think its a long time ago it was a 1.1 in metallic green which i has resprayed mars red and mat black round the hatch to make it look like a GTI which it did I had it till reverse gear went and the floor pan in the back rotted through was the 1st car I bought with my own money.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
my first dub was a mk1 cabby, ELZ 8947 left hand drive, abit rough round the edges but still great

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Still own my first MK1, YFG 903Y 1983 GLi Cabby.

Purchased on ebay, then read the location it was in (Cornwall)….. 13 round trip to collect her :-D
Drove home no problem, and still going strong 7 years later.

Dib.

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
My first was a metalic green '83 Mk1 Gt 1.5. fitted a webber carb to it lowered it and some mk3 golf cl 14'' steels. Then it got sold to a guy at work who then sold it to another guy at work, then I brought it back then I sold it to one of the others again! It was a 'rule' it had to stay within the same group of friends, it had to be sold/ brought for the same money (£800) and you had to modify it in a way that all approved of  :mrgreen:

Then we all got different jobs and it got sold to someone out of the 'gang' who then put a max power spoiler on it, different wheels then wrote it off  :banghead:

since then I've had three Mk1's amoung other's  :wink:

The GT was by no means my first car, just my first Mk1 Golf  :mrgreen:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.