Skip navigation

The cost of owning a golf?

Back to the top

The cost of owning a golf?

ollie said

Cheap as chips to run, you don't even need Optimax at 97.9/litre  8O

Yeah ya do… Mk1's should run on 98 Octane, mine's currently costing about ?17 every 130 miles (not sure when to fill up because the fuel gauge sender unit has given up the ghost so fill up every 130miles just in case)

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Really??? Ooopsy  :banghead:  :oops:

'98 Championship White Honda Integra Type R

Back to the top
:lol: Well… they do run on normal unleaded as well but heard you get pinking! alot easier if your setting the timing up to go for TDC and run it on Super (unless I'm mistaken)

Besides I feel happier putting the good stuff in  :wink:

Back to the top
OH dear its just got even more expensive to run :(

mk1 silver campaign totally standard lowered on coilovers magic tree vanilla

Just had a full outer body restore

Back to the top
Depends hows it's been set up…. I'm still running mine on the cheap stuff and she does not pink. When I get my 2.0 engine in I'm going to have it rolling road tuned for super unleaded. 8)

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
philmk1gti

(not sure when to fill up because the fuel gauge sender unit has given up the ghost so fill up every 130miles just in case)

if your temp guage is up the spout too it could be the three pronged gismo on the back of your clocks (i'm sure someone knows it's name…..)
i thought my clocks were goosed and it turned out to be a duff one of them! works now after driving for five years not knowing how much fuel left and clocking it same as you do!

git

Back to the top
oh and i don't really want to talk about the cost if that's okay, had a bad run this year! :dontknow: i don't like to think about it too much!

at least the git's still our daily driver and worth the $.

ta
mark

Back to the top
i've thought about getting rid of mine a couple of times too, just because it seems like a constant work in progress, but then i'll be driving along and find myself grinning for no reason - never had any other car that makes me do that.

Back to the top
j1mg

dude i know how you feel, our car's bee threatened many time but will she listen…NO!

but yeah it's true when she's fired up and shifting- rain or shine….
(careful polishers, yup- i did say rain, soz! (i can hear the groans coming from the heated garages))………….. i do beam with delight. anyway i'm off now b4 i get told to get a life!

mark(GIT)

Back to the top
It is depressing when you sit down and work out how much money you've thrown at it ,i was asked to go through the bills for my insurance evaluation
  ?7346.27p  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  :tlc:  :boohoo:
 and thats not including the laee than ?5 recipts from wilco

i almost fell of my chair

still on the flip side a) shouldn't have to worry bout anything going wrong
                             b)it runs on 95 ron (for the moment :mrgreen: )

oh p.p.s does anyone else get less than 200 miles from a full tank (being driven at the speed limit not exceeding 3500rpm) or is it just me ?

is it rusty???

is it over priced??

YES!!!

i'm on my way over to pick it up

Back to the top
Definately worth every penny for the grin factor! not too sure about it in the rain though at the moment, have absolutely no grip with the camber where it is!

I think my girlfriend's going to shoot me if I go on about how well it pulls through every gear one more time  :lol:

Git, deffo the fuel sender unit, temp gauge works fine… the fuel gauge worked until I took a look at the sender unit! might have a fiddle tomorrow and see if it's something simple but I think the unit's given up… another expense to the list  :wink:

Back to the top

kins said

Depends hows it's been set up…. I'm still running mine on the cheap stuff and she does not pink. When I get my 2.0 engine in I'm going to have it rolling road tuned for super unleaded. 8)

Was going to say… it never pinked when I had it.

You can get 99RON from some Tescos now :) have it tuned for that  8O  8)

'98 Championship White Honda Integra Type R

Back to the top
the garage at the top of my road is selling real 4star so when it comes out of storage and heads up to gaydon i'll be filling up the tank plus a jerry can to get me home 8)

Back to the top
My car's the same. Money is the reason i have put it up for sale. Its sad because I cant afford to keep it running. Im scared if I leave it in the garage it will rot away and not work anymore. But if I sell it in a few years time I wont be able to get another one the same.

Funnily enough my fuel gauge just went and the temprature gauge. I think it is a wiring fault under the dash??? MFA started playing up too. Just a few more things to do before she goes.

Back to the top
Kate, could be the voltage stableliser thingy on the back of the instrument panel as git said?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.