Skip navigation

Anyone ever jump'd there mk1?

Back to the top

Anyone ever jump'd there mk1?

:lol:

I know….i can be an idiot driver at some times  so dont bother with the negative replys… :mrgreen:

but…after talkin full advantage of the sun yesterday evening, i took a few wrong turns and found an abolute cracker of a road, Tight turns, long turns, straights and the climax at the end a small hill..

:mrgreen:

so anyone ever done it?

1272 driver with a magic tree!!

Back to the top
not in the Mk1 but accidently found the sharpist bridge near wallingford! was only going about 30mph but it's so sharp I had about 4 seconds of air time! Scarey stuff as there was a car on the other side!

needless to say I go over bridges VERY slow now

jumping car's does no good to it though, engine mounts can break, alloy's can crack (easily!).. the list goes on

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Phil was that the one to cholsey/morton from didcot........ thats a brilliant one..........

Back to the top
Yeah I think it was Mandy..  I was warned it was bad but didn't expect the road to completely disappear THAT much  :lol:

Won't try it in my Mk1 though, My welding would probably break!

Back to the top
I think I've had mine off the floor…

Accelerating out of a roundabout (High end of third gear!) the road was quite "yumpy". The enigne revs shot up and started bouncing off the limiter, there was quite a hard thud on re-entry with a bit of tyre screetch as the fronts came back into contact with the tarmac. Surprised I didn't do any damage to the car actually, it being quite low. Probably only a few inches, but I would have loved to have seen it from out side the car, or even better, got a picture of it!

Back to the top
i had a front shock explode on a f*rd ori*n once on landing after a small section of yumps down a country lane in norfolk.
All f*rds are meant to be driven like they've been stolen :wink:

Back to the top

Mr_GTI said

i had a front shock explode on a f*rd ori*n once on landing after a small section of yumps down a country lane in norfolk.
All f*rds are meant to be driven like they've been stolen :wink:

Your not wrong! I done a 360 on the other side of a ditch in my onion and ended up back where I should be when a tyre blew out going round a nice country bend! twisted the chassis badly and still sold it for more than I brought it  :lol:

Best thing I could have done with that car (although not intentional)… and got a lift back with a rather attractive police lady  :wink:

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

I think I've had mine off the floor…

Accelerating out of a roundabout (High end of third gear!) the road was quite "yumpy". The enigne revs shot up and started bouncing off the limiter, there was quite a hard thud on re-entry with a bit of tyre screetch as the fronts came back into contact with the tarmac. Surprised I didn't do any damage to the car actually, it being quite low. Probably only a few inches, but I would have loved to have seen it from out side the car, or even better, got a picture of it!

yep this is exaclty what happend to me, would of loved to get a picture of it airborn! There were a few people watching, bet it looked sweet…

Wont do it again thats for sure tho, it really did HIT the ground hard…and at the time i did think i've damaged one on the front wheels, but everythings ok…so it'l survive another day :mrgreen:

Back to the top
As I'm quite tall…. if I take a run up I reckon I could jump over my MK1 :lol:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

kins said

As I'm quite tall…. if I take a run up I reckon I could jump over my MK1 :lol:

Ermmm i'll get your coat for ya….

..TAXI!!!

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
:oops:

Could have been worse……

Ambulance :roll:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Used to do it three times a day on my old suspension. There's some brilliant ones just coming into kelso. If you hit the last at about 80, you can get a good a good second or two of airtime. The others are just little raised revs ones.

Havent dared on the new suspension yet….

Back to the top
I grew up watching the A-Team and Knightrider, and given the damage you can see when they jump cars in those, I don't think I'd ever dare! :lol:

I think I'll leave it to the stunt drivers who have 30 or 40 cars per show to ruin!!!  :D

Back to the top
I would not recommend jumping a Mk1. As VW Motorsport found out themselves, the chassis legs and inner wings bend around the strut mounts. Hence they developed special Y-legs to weld across the inner wings for strengthening. You may see the part at Gaydon.  :wink:

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
I've not had 'air time' in my Mk1, but I did in the Mk2 I had previously.  I was making my way across Dartmoor on one of the B roads that goes across there, travelling along this long straight that, unbeknown to me, has a bridge crossing a stream with a small unobtusive hump on it.  This took me by surprise when I hit it but definately resulted in my Mk2 and the road parting company!   8O

Not a problem though as the road ahead continued dead straight and fortunately there was no damage done :D

Ian

'89 Clipper Auto and '92 GTI Cabby

Back to the top
there is a brilliant stretch of road nr Farnham, not a bridge but a whole road that is like the old fun fair switchback…….. used to go and play there when i first passed my test….. now i've moved back to that area i might just have to go see if i can find it…….. in my sisters peugot not my Mk1 lol

Back to the top
My old man used to have a Toyota Supra - the old 3.0l job (non Turbo).
We took that on a trip around the theme parks when I was young and while driving somewhere in yorkshire, we found a lovely quiet country road which was dead straight and slightly up hill. The old man floored it and the 6 cylinder beast leapt into action. What we didn't realise was that the slightly uphill road turned into a completely level road with no warning.
The car left the road, flew about a million yards (we were shifting at this point) at landed with a hard thump acompanied by a very mettalic "Tink" noise. We pulled in down the road to find a flattened rear silencer, full of scratches, courtesy of the tarmac!

Back to the top
Come to think of it, my old man was a bit nuts back then.

He also had a V8 range rover years ago, in which we took a very humped bridge a little too fast! All of the tools, lawn mower, ME etc. that was in the back, hit the roof! Bouncy landing in a big 4x4 too!

Back to the top
Jumping is fun but not good - very easy to lose control on landing!
my ex's cousin used to import intergrales from germany, he was ragging one up a hill that had a level cattle grid & then went back to hill, he took off and caught the front twisting the whole front - ouch!
when my mk2 polo got written off i took it for one last rag and aired of a humpback bridge - my mate was following me and he said the front whells were about a foot of the ground but the back only left the ground a couple of inches, and there was a shower of sparks as it landed!! i wish we'd got a picture of that!

Back to the top
Well i've spoke to soon, my car has started a knockin noise
  :evil:  dunno if its anything to do with that jump i did? but when i turn right(i think) it makes a click!?? Doesnt do it all the time…but i have noticed it a few times going round tight corners…at no particular speed…  :doh:

So take some advice…if you wanna do some jumpies…do it in a ford..or supra…or if your feeling lucky…4x4 styleeee

:banghead:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.