Skip navigation

Wolfsberg Nerburg trip!

Back to the top

Wolfs ner

Wolfsberg Nerburg trip!

Chudd's in with me! No fly speed! You're joking! Chudd and I will have flies on our teeth!
 :D

Back to the top
Ok Biggles dont forget your scarf, goggles and flying jacket! 8)  

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

wolfs ner

Was that photo of Chudd taken at harewood house the other day? 8O

Back to the top
No Silly thats you! This is Chudd…….

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

Wolfs nerb

What on earth is he doing? Should we really be poluting this interesting topic with pictures of Chudd crimping a length? 8O

Back to the top
Sorry my mistake thats Chudds son!
This is him at the ripe old age of 135! 8O

Back to the top
I'd certainly be interested in a trip to Wolfsburg, although I'd probably pass on the Ring  :wink: .

I'll be down in Switzerland around mid August for a mate's wedding, so if folks were going to be Wolfsburg bound around then I'd certainly tag along. If going to Wolfsburg I think it would definitely be worth contacting VW (in the UK and Germany) to explain we are thinking of doing a club trip. They might have some Mk1 specific exhibits or realted material that is not normally on display to the public they might be willing to give us access to, or perhaps an extended tour of the factory.

Might also be an opportunity to make some direct contacts with respect to sourcing  hard to find spares or getting a dialogue going about the situation on remanufacturing items. I for one would be intriuged to know which company they used to supply the GTi stripey seat fabric and if they are still in business today….. would be worthwhile finding out if its technically feasible to get re-runs made of the fabric for example….

Anyway I digress as usual  :wink:

Book it and they will come……. We need a name for the event though - dare I say it: Wolfstock anyone……?

:lol:

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top

wolfs nerb

Excellent ideas! Digress all you like! It's crapping old Chinese folk we don't need! 8O

Back to the top

ChrisB said

I'd certainly be interested in a trip to Wolfsburg, although I'd probably pass on the Ring  :wink: .

I'll be down in Switzerland around mid August for a mate's wedding, so if folks were going to be Wolfsburg bound around then I'd certainly tag along. If going to Wolfsburg I think it would definitely be worth contacting VW (in the UK and Germany) to explain we are thinking of doing a club trip. They might have some Mk1 specific exhibits or realted material that is not normally on display to the public they might be willing to give us access to, or perhaps an extended tour of the factory.

Might also be an opportunity to make some direct contacts with respect to sourcing  hard to find spares or getting a dialogue going about the situation on remanufacturing items. I for one would be intriuged to know which company they used to supply the GTi stripey seat fabric and if they are still in business today….. would be worthwhile finding out if its technically feasible to get re-runs made of the fabric for example….

Anyway I digress as usual  :wink:

Book it and they will come……. We need a name for the event though - dare I say it: Wolfstock anyone……?

:lol:

Chris
Good ideas Chris. I cant wait!

Wolfstock anyone……?

Brilliant :dance:  :clap:

Back to the top
I had a dream only the other night where Jim Morrison pulled up out of nowhere in the middle of the desert in a mint Helios Blue Campaign and said to me:

"Chris…. get Andy to book it and they will come….." :wink:

Looked a bit dodgy as there was this tall naked red indian in the passenger seat too :|

SSSCHWIIIIIIING!

Man I love that film  :lol:

Back to the top
At what point did you become a nut bar . Dont tell me you only like brown m&m's too . Wolfsburg and the ring better order a service pack oh and rebuild my car when it comes back from the spray shop .

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
I used to be relatively normal before I started spending serious time on these forums…….  :scratch:

I blame it on the Mk1 myself…… its had a strange effect over me since I took possession of it last year (or should that be the other way round?)  8O

Back to the top
None of us are normal , everyone else wants this years model with a seven speed gearbox with abs  and finds youve been framed funny . We want a old mk1 the earlier the better with 4 speeds no rust proofing , brakes that feel like youve just trodden in a bucket of syrup and find pictures of 137 year old chinese men funny . Your all quite mad . Cool film though  :cheer:  :notworthy:

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
Jim morrison and nekked red indians……mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Chris i really think you need to ease up on the drugs…………. its getting scarey……………………lol

cheers
Mandy :cheer:

Back to the top
Ring and Wolfsburg sounds like fun to me! I'd be up for that over a weekend. Would need to bank some serious browny points though!

For those a bit worried by the ring, My Dad did it a few years ago in a Bmw 316. He said he just went as fast as he felt like. You don't have to race your car, just treat it as a fun a-road and tootle along if you like!

Distances are quite long. Do-able, I think. But for mk1s it would be quite a trek.

Wolfsburg

Nurburg

According to my satnav it's about 600 miles from Calais to Wolfsburg via the Nurburgring and about 500 miles back from Wolfsburg to Calais direct.

300 miles is about a 5-6 hour time typically. 500 miles back would be about 8-9! That's a long way in a mk1, book a trip to the osteopath the following day!

Fuel costs around ?100-?150 (assuming 70 mph cruise and not counting ring usage)
Ferry probably around ?20-40
Wolfsburg museum 6 euros
Ring ?42 for day
Beer money incalculable. :roll: :lol:

VW's auto museum is open on Sundays, so I guess it makes sense to do the 'ring on Saturday.

Not sure it could be done on just a weekend, would probably need an extra day to get there (i.e Get to kent Friday morning (ok for me!) Friday lunchtime Ferry, arrive Nurburg evening (300 miles). Ring Saturday morning, drive to wolfsburg sat afternoon (300 miles), arrive wolfsburg evening. Wolfsburg sunday morning, drive home sunday afternoon (500 miles), ferry late sunday. Would have to watch times closely!

Would be extremely cool though. 8)

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
Planning a trip around this time next year to hook up with the Mk1 Golf Club of Germany. It is a full weekend consisting of a car show with autojumble in a local park, then a short cruise to the Wolfburg factory for the tour and museum visit. Plenty of Mk1s there now so worth going again.

Would be great to take my GTi back home for her 30th birthday and even treat her to a blat round the Ring! :D

I have driven over a few times now and it is a VERY long way. Remember insurance and breakdown cover.

Banner

Back to the top
I was at the wolfsburg and the braunschweig factorys about 5 years ago on a trip with vw. It was an amazing few days but had hoped to see a lot more on the factory tour's than i did. Im away to germany again in september to the oktoberfest for the 5th time.. :mrgreen: . flying to prague, staying there for 3 nights then driving down to munich then home….. cant wait

1996 Gti Anniversary 8v Mystic Blue
1995 Gti 16v Fjord blue

Back to the top

drew said

Ring and Wolfsburg sounds like fun to me! I'd be up for that over a weekend. Would need to bank some serious browny points though!

For those a bit worried by the ring, My Dad did it a few years ago in a Bmw 316. He said he just went as fast as he felt like. You don't have to race your car, just treat it as a fun a-road and tootle along if you like!

Distances are quite long. Do-able, I think. But for mk1s it would be quite a trek.

Wolfsburg

Nurburg

According to my satnav it's about 600 miles from Calais to Wolfsburg via the Nurburgring and about 500 miles back from Wolfsburg to Calais direct.

300 miles is about a 5-6 hour time typically. 500 miles back would be about 8-9! That's a long way in a mk1, book a trip to the osteopath the following day!

Fuel costs around ?100-?150 (assuming 70 mph cruise and not counting ring usage)
Ferry probably around ?20-40
Wolfsburg museum 6 euros
Ring ?42 for day
Beer money incalculable. :roll: :lol:

VW's auto museum is open on Sundays, so I guess it makes sense to do the 'ring on Saturday.

Not sure it could be done on just a weekend, would probably need an extra day to get there (i.e Get to kent Friday morning (ok for me!) Friday lunchtime Ferry, arrive Nurburg evening (300 miles). Ring Saturday morning, drive to wolfsburg sat afternoon (300 miles), arrive wolfsburg evening. Wolfsburg sunday morning, drive home sunday afternoon (500 miles), ferry late sunday. Would have to watch times closely!

Would be extremely cool though. 8)

Cheers,

Drew.

Thats the sort of figures we need! Well done drew.  :clap: The more organised and structured we can make it, the more people will be willing to jump on bored.

Does anyone have any contacts with any MK1 clubs in Germany? If we could meet up, they could tag along on the convoy.

Road trip cant wait!

We need to start looking at a dates. I think Autum would be the best time to go. Whats are peoples views on this? :dontknow:

Back to the top
DOH - I soooooo knew I shouldn't have read this thread! I want to come now, but I won't be allowed  :cry:  Impossible to bank that many brownie points full stop, let alone in time for next year! :banghead:

Back to the top
wouldnt it be better to organise some track events before the "big mother"? maybe a day at santa pod, i know for sure there is a hell of alot that happens there. this'l give everyone a chance to meet eachother beforehand etc etc gaining some track experiance and being acquainted with everyone.. then theres no stopping the mk1 voyage to the ring??
also i think leshuttle is better than taking ferry, i beleive it may a lil cheaper with group bookings too but dont quote me on that one!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.