Skip navigation

going back to original paint

Back to the top

going back to original paint

i have a solid little 1.1 golf which was originally that maroony red colour, but some softlad has decided to paint it blue and the red is coming back through in places, its far to good to break but wondered what my options were as if i get it painted blue over top chips are gonna come back red and vice versa, have any of you had this before? i aint got a mountain of money but dont mind giving anything a go'
cheers,
paul

Back to the top
Paul wet flat the whole car prime and repaint it red you will get bleeding if you try blue again unless you bare metal it or use a special holding primer . Hard work but worth it ...

Back to the top
It would take a lot of effort but you could sand the blue off.

VW paint is very thick so if you were careful you could do it without taking off the original red.

I have only done it on doors though. You have to experiment with different grits to find one which takes of the blue easily without taking off the red.

Never take back to bare metal if possible. Original VW primer is worth keeping if you can.

The thing is you would probably still need to paint it red again, it's probably all different shades of red underneath which is why softlad painted it!

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
Just paint it army green with a tin of hamarite and a brush!!

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

Just paint it army green with a tin of hamarite and a brush!!
:lol:

8O  :naughty:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Been thinking some more about it and actually the technical part is easy.

It's the mental bit which will be tricky.

Makes me think of those sand drawings buddhist monks do to learn patience.

Do you have a spare team of buddhist wet n dry monks?

Peter?

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
sadly i have not……  chudd what does wet-flat mean?
cheers,
paul

Back to the top
Flat or flatting as in sanding and wet as in using water. When flatting back it is ideal to use a small amount of soapy water with your wet n' dry paper as this prevents the grit being clogged by the paint dust. Also helps ensure nice smooth results and allows you to get more out of you paper as you don't have to keep chucking it away because it is clogged.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
cheers mate

Back to the top
when u say sandpaper/wet and dry what grade do i wanna be using, if i use middle/mild stuff i will still be doing it when im 30, will have awesome biceps though 8)

Back to the top
how much paint will i need to spray a full car roughly, theres a paint shop up the road, gonna do it a similar matt blue, need enough to do all outer car, boot, floors and engine bay? blagged a relatives compressor but no idea how much paint to get?

Back to the top
Depends on how many coats you are going to put on.  3 litres should be enough but you might fnd that 5 litres is a cheaper way and you'll have plenty

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
cheers

Back to the top
I agree, I brought 3 to do mine then ran out! all depends how thick and how many coats but it doesn't cost much so best to get 5 (you'll have some spare if needed to!)

Back to the top
right thanks, ill get a bit extra then just in case,
cheers,
paul

Back to the top
Phill - how much did you pay for 5 litres - did it get any cheaper the more you brought?

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Markwon, didn't get it any cheaper (although they didn't charge me for one tin of professional thinners!  :lol: bargain!)

I'll have a look at the invoice/receipt and let you know how much it was per litre… get all my paint from Reading paints in caversham!

I think it was around ?6-?7 a litre

Back to the top
Phill, ?6-?7 a litre - 8O . I've been paying about ?18 a litre from my local paint factor. Very good stuff and spot on match, but obviously expensive. Does it say the brand of the piant on the tin?

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
I think it does.. I'll have to have a check tonight/tomorrow and let you know exact details!

I could be wrong about the price but I'm fairly sure it was about that much

Back to the top
theres a place up here want ?13.50 a litre for midnight blue, however it is cheaper the more you buy
There are too many online users to list.