Skip navigation

'76 LS resto

Back to the top

'76 LS resto

I started restoration of my '76 LS last year so thought about time some pics were shown! Not had too much time to spend on it what with working on the rest of the fleet.

After stripping the car down, I found more rust than originally anticipated. It is very localised though, the bits which aren't rust are in fact as new. New panels to be fitted are rear arches, fuel tank filler, offside inner and outer sills, inner wing sections, door posts and front wings. Localised repairs will be done to the floorpan and front valence.

The paint is in really good condition and therefore I told the bodyshop I am using not take a lot of it down to metal as why upset perfectly good paint that has been there for nearly 30 years!

Plans are to restore to original condition with a few changes :wink: After all she has only around 20k miles, full history and even the original tyres! 8)

These pics were taken last year and since then engine and box are out, fuel lines removed, dash and all electrics are out, glass and all interior/exterior trim removed and new VW rear exhaust fitted.

Next jobs are to clean up the engine and running gear fitting new VW parts where necessary while the bodyshop gets on with the shell.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
hi mate looks nice,

some have all the luck,

what was that all about with your mk1 that was in the mag that was owned by a german guy, and then i saw you with it, please help im very confused :dontknow:

Darren.

Back to the top

76 LS Resto

Hi Rajan,
Certainly looks as tho u have some work there!! I notice you like the 'not so common colours'. Are you able to get a colour match for the respray??

TC

Back to the top
Deffinately an unusual colour! paint looks like it had been sprayed yesterday!

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
SWEET!!  Get the mig fired up!

Back to the top
I love that colour, but I've only ever seen it in scrapyards before  :cry:

By the way, what are the pipes (wire rods?) in the second and third photos? They look like the seat will foul them if it get moved back & forth…

Back to the top
Look like the brake lines have been routed inside? :dontknow:

Back to the top
Looking at the gromit though - they do look like they were put there by the factory.  It might be a wiring run?  I dunno - does look like brake/fuel lines like.

Back to the top
Pre '80 Model Year Golfs have the brake lines running inside the car! Less to go rusty :wink:

I just moved it into the seat runner to put it out of the way for floorpan repair.

Daisy - the white one I bought in Germany a year ago. The condition was actually very poor from what I expected. Pics never tell the full story and journalists from those mags cannot be bothered to find out the truth (seem to spend most of their time taking pictures of half naked girls and drinking beer). As my neighbours and pics can testify, I have spent many late nights on it (engine rebuild & repaint, repaint front end, rewire complete car, rebuild front suspension & brakes, the list is endless…). Sure I bought the concept of the car especially bodywise, but most of it has been re-assembled with new/repaired parts to get it to my satisfaction. With a car like that, it is never finished and I am still not 100% happy with it!

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Believe me - if you ever finish it, you'll get sick of it and either start another one or come up with something else to do on it.

I wonder why they changed to running the brake lines along the underside…

Back to the top
thanks for that mate, looking forward to seeing it, is it going to the meet?

Darren. :)

Back to the top

'76 LS resto [update 27/06/05]

I stripped the engine compartment, dashboard and wiring harnesses last month. Then transferred it to the bodyshop for welding and paint. It is not a pretty sight. Further rust found near rear axle mount, near side door post and inner skin of fuel filler panel.   :cry:

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Phew - that's some ugly rust.  you welding it yourself Rajan?

That's what my fiat 500's look like when I get them  :wink:

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Bummer about the extra rust, but the good bits are so good that it's still worth   doing…

It's a LHD - any idea of its history?

Back to the top
Phew - that's some ugly rust. you welding it yourself Rajan?

No, it is beyond my skills!

Bummer about the extra rust, but the good bits are so good that it's still worth doing…

It's a LHD - any idea of its history?

Yes, the rest of it is so mint that I am going ahead with it despite this setback.

Full VWSH for its' 22k miles  :wink: . It has been stood for 9 years before I got my mits on it. Still started with no problems! Only one family and the previous owner before me!

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
woww thats rusty alright! 8O

Good to see your going ahead with it! 8)

keep us updated on the progress!

Back to the top

dubboy said

Full VWSH for its' 22k miles

Only 22K! - lucky you :P

The unusual rusting pattern makes more sense now - the rust areas seem to be more from rainwater dripping off, & leaking into, the car when it's not being driven, rather than road spray being forced up by lots of driving. How are the roof and gutters? - I am getting some rust on the green "spares only" car in the left end of my sig pic, because it has been standing outside for about 8(!) years.

Back to the top
The roof and gutters are mint. The car is as dry as a bone inside. I don't understand why it is so bad in just these local areas  :scratch:

Banner

Back to the top
Fair play  :y:

do you have a date when you'll get it back from the bodyshop?

strange how some places are really bad and yet places like the battery tray and (from what I can see in the pics) suspension turret's look spotless

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
what colour is it mate?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.