Skip navigation

Cab and Tin Top Petrol Tanks

Back to the top

Cab and Tin Top Petrol Tanks

Are the petrol tanks in the Cabs the same as the Tin Top?

I am putting a 16v in my Cab until i decide what to do with it and obviously i am going to have to fit an injection tank of which i have plenty from Mk1 GTI's but will it fit?

I can only presume it could be different due to the strengthening put into the shell by Karmann.

Euro Car parts list them as seperate items between the Cab and the Tin Top which got me thinking.

Secondly, what is the actual difference between the Injection tanks and the Carb tanks?

Cheers

Paul

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1996 Mk3 Cab VR6 Turbo Project

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Mk1 & 16v Golf's Breaking for spares

Back to the top
Not sure on the Mk1 specifically but usually a tank from a fuel injecter car has a swirl pot and lift pump so that the inline fuel pump is always drawing fuel through and never takes in bubbles or a breath of air.  On carburettor cars the fuel pressure may be anywhere between about 4psi and 12psi - on an injection model it is between 60 and 90psi.  Indeed these new high pressure deisel cars (HDI stuff) run upto 1200psi which is enough - if you get a pin sized hole in the fuel line, to send a jet of fuel out that will cut straight through flesh and muscle.

Back to the top
One the carb models the petrol is drawn out via a pipe in the fuel gauge sender, the round thing under the back seat. On GTIs (and diesels I think) the fuel exits via an outlet at the bottom corner of the tank, next to the pump and accumulator. I don?t think any tintop MK1s had a lift pump in the tank but later Cabriolets may have had?

I remember reading the fuel filler pipes are different for Cabbys so perhaps the tank has a slightly different location of the inlet pipe?
 :dontknow:

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
PS I think that modern Diesels run at 1200+ BAR (thousands of PSI) 8O , thought that?ll only be at the engine end and not the lines from the tank.

Back to the top
I just know you have to be careful with them.  There are various HSE guidance documents kicking about the FIre and Rescue service giving warnings to make sure the fuel pump isn't running on these before doing anything else on one…

Back to the top
Ok, just as a follow up…….

Euro Car Parts have confirmed that all the Cab tanks are the same, but the Tin Tops have two which i/we already know.

So, does that mean the Cabs have a different type of fuel pump?

i.e an internal pump?

Any help would be much apreciated! Does anyone have a working copy of ETKA they could look at?

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Back to the top
OK, checked EKTA and on an 82 Golf they list two numbers:
171 201 075P which is for the Carb models;
171 201 075Q which is for K-Jet and Diesal models;

For an 82 Cab, they list the same parts as the numbers above.

So I then checked a 90 Cab, and the same numbers get listed as above.

So, lokos like the cab tanks are the same as the tin tops according to EKTA but the carb runs a different tank to K-Jet.

I would say its becasu ethe K-Jet is preesurised system, where as the carb is not pressurised, so the K-Jet and diesal tanks are stronger due to the pressurised system they run.

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top
Yeah, i just looked at that Russian site and it came up with the same results.

I'm stuck now, i guess i will just have to take the tank off my Cab and compare it to the Tin Top GTI tank.

I cant understand why Euro Car Parts say that all the Cabs use the same tank from '84 onwards regardless of it being Carb or Injection.

The only difference between the tanks is the outlet for the fuel pump by the looks of it.

The only pressure in the tank is vacuam pressure, not actual force fed pressure, when you release your petrol cap the noise you hear is air getting sucked in, not air coming out.

If you cut a coke bottle in half and submerge it in water then lift it up you will get a vacuam as the air is pulled into the bottle.

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Back to the top
And the pressure mentioned above in Diesel engines is not from the tank to the pump, it is from the pump to the injectors.

One more question, has anyone used plastic fuel lines from a Mk2 on their Mk1 when putting a 16v in?

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Back to the top

Websnowbo said

One more question, has anyone used plastic fuel lines from a Mk2 on their Mk1 when putting a 16v in?

I have a plastic return, though the tank to engine pipe is the usual Gti piece…

Back to the top
Cab tanks hold more of the 'go' stuff (12 gals - 60 ltrs) !!!
When I replaced the GTI cab tank I was told by my 'really excellent' VAG parts guy that it was specifically for the cab, its bigger, and has an internal lift pump.
The Clipper looks te same, apart from no internal lift pump !

Tank part number was - VA155201075B - price ?138.31 +VAT !!

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
So your GTI Cab has a lift pump?

Does it have an external pump too? Or just the internal one?

Getting somewhere now

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Back to the top
I suppose later carburettor cabs may have standardised on the GTI setup, utilising the lower outlet.

Joining the suck or blow debate, :oops:  I?m sure my GTI blows out when I remove the cap? I can?t imagine any GTI burning enough petrol to maintain a vacuum, esp on a warm day when the petrol is being sloshed around. The petrol will evaporate and create a positive pressure? If vented after about a day in mid August it would have all evaporated???  :dontknow:

Back to the top
I cant remember either! I could have sworn it sucked.

I dont know, but anyway, the tanks aint under any serious pressure, the diff between the tin top GTI and the tin top carb tanks is the petrol outlet positions.

But i'm still at a loss with regards to the Cab tanks  :banghead:

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Back to the top

Websnowbo said

So your GTI Cab has a lift pump?

Does it have an external pump too? Or just the internal one?

Both, when the internal one packed up it was a nightmare to drive - worse tan a kangaroo, and no guts at all, only going gently on the flat or downhill !!!
Main pump replaced 3 years ago, but it's always been noisy, had it replaced when an 'expert' garage said it was kernackerd, fitted a new one, - 'scrapped' the old one, charged me a packet, and it did not make any difference to my original fault.
Not been to them since……..

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
ETKA Doesnt show a lift pump in the Cabs, but it does in the 16v so i think i'm going to have aplay tonight and see if the 16v lift pump will fit in the Cab tank.  At least i will possibly be able to us the Plastic fuel lines then too.

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Back to the top
Why not just leave a carb tank in and run the valver on twin carbs?!?

You know it makes sense!

Back to the top
Because the fuel pumps are ?100+ and then i still need a regulator and manifold.

I have the carbs but by the time i have bought the manifold, Pump and Regulator etc it will be expensive.

I'm only fitting the 16v because i'm going to VW Mania in Belgium in it and it is a bit sluggish on Motorways.

I'm going to G60 or 20VT it to make it more fun in the future.  I'm not really into modifying cars as such, but i just want it to be more economical and nicer to drive.

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Back to the top
errr.... put a diesel in it then...... :roll:

Back to the top
Sorry, i didnt really mean more economical in that sense.

I meant economy in relation to performance

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.