Skip navigation

IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the top

IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YIPPEEE………….. glad to here it's fixed.  :)

for the timning if all the other marks are lined up, then the rotor arm metal part should be lined up with the mark, I usually line mine up smack bang in the middle of the mark and then set up the timing with a gun. :)

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top

turbtechnicsMK1 said

YIPPEEE………….. glad to here it's fixed.  :)

for the timning if all the other marks are lined up, then the rotor arm metal part should be lined up with the mark, I usually line mine up smack bang in the middle of the mark and then set up the timing with a gun. :)

Cool - I'll go home lunch time and check it out… If it starts, I can take it to my mates later to get the timing gun on it!

Cheers,
AL.

Back to the top
GRRRRRRRRRRR

Flippin thing won't start now!!!!!!!!!

Checked the timing on the dizzy as per above. Actual timing 120degrees out!?!? :dontknow:
But the car ran on saturday? I took it to put fuel in?!?!

I set the dizzy correctly and checked the order of the leads - 1342 with No 1 lined up with the rotor arm at TDC, that's right isn't it?

I have had to come back to work now though so tonight will see yet more tinkering!

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

1342 with No 1 lined up with the rotor arm at TDC, that's right isn't it?

Sounds right to me.

The rotor arm goes around clockwise - you might check (if you've removed them) that the HT leads are re-attached to the distributor cap in the right order, as per the (rubbish) graphic below.

Engine Block

1…..3
…O
4…..2

Radiator

Back to the top
That is a great graphic, though shouldn't it be…

Engine Block

1…..3
…O
2…..4

Radiator

As said, the firing order is 1342, so this is the order the rotor should pass the lead contacts?!?!

Back to the top
Yes of course, but my typing in the office is always suspect!  :oops:

Back to the top
DOH - I done it flippin wrong!  :oops:

I used the timing mark on the outside of the cam wheel!
Apparently there is one on the inside (Head side) which I was suposed to use!
If that is the case, what the heck is the other one on the outside for?!?!?  :dontknow:

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

DOH - I done it flippin wrong!  :oops:

I used the timing mark on the outside of the cam wheel!
Apparently there is one on the inside (Head side) which I was suposed to use!
If that is the case, what the heck is the other one on the outside for?!?!?  :dontknow:

The Cam timing uses the outside one.

Remember back in the day when i loosly put my mates back on when i took his head back to him and he left it the wrong way around, spent nearly a month trying to find out why it wouldn't run….

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1996 Mk3 Cab VR6 Turbo Project

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Mk1 & 16v Golf's Breaking for spares

Back to the top

Back to the top
The INSIDE (facing the end of the head) is the CAM timing mark.

The OUTSIDE mark (facing the inner wing) is used when this* pulley is on the intermediate shaft, to set the crank/intermediate shafts correctly in relation to each other.

*The pulley is used for both the cam and intermediate shafts (one part number, saved VAG a few pfennigs back in the 70's & 80's), but this means that it has two marks on it and, on the cam, the "wrong one" is more likely to be seen than the right one!

Back to the top
Bingo - Cheers TYPE-17!!!!

Hopefully I will get it running again tonight then!

Back to the top
:cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:

Glad to hear you got yours sorted Al

managed to get mine running on the weekend, will post details shortly

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Proper fixed now - It's in the works car park right now having a wash! (hammering down outside! :roll: )

I re-set the ignition timing using the correct mark on the cam gear…still wouldn't start.
Battery was struggling by this point, so jumped it onto the wifes Pug and Bingo! Let it run for a minute to fine fettle the timing (by ear) and the shut it off. Waited around 3.5 to 4 hours for it to cool down and tried it again and it went on the key, same again this morning too!

I am proper happy now!
It starts well, idles well and goes like a good un when I boot it too!

:D  :D  :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D

Back to the top
Excellent news - know how happy that can make you ….enjoy again     :P
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.