Skip navigation

IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the top

IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al - you need to get a fuel pressure guage to see what is happening at  3.5K - see if there is a blip in the fuel pressure - you can also check each injector line to narrow down further.

I suspect the problem now lies in the ignition side but the fuel tests would show that.

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

crazyquiff said

I suspect the problem now lies in the ignition side but the fuel tests would show that.

The only bits I haven't changed in the ignition system are the coil and TCI but have tried other units in plcae of my own?!?!?  :dontknow:

I have a mate who may have a set of injectors and injector leads I can try.

I said before that my injectors have the little hats on the end - Can I use injectors without these or would I need to change the injector seats?

Cheers,
AL.

Back to the top

crazyquiff said

Al - you need to get a fuel pressure guage to see what is happening at  3.5K - see if there is a blip in the fuel

By the way - the 3.5K was an example. It will run smoothly on say half throttle up to and past 3.5K, just when I floor it, it stutters  :dontknow:

Back to the top
If you have the Mk1 head without the air bar you can use either injector.  If the head has the air bar there will be a pipe coming from between injector 3 and 4.  If you have the air bar you should use the injectors with the hats on.

Still recommend testing fuel pressure - It's the only way to know what is happening.

I'd put a new coil on to be sure.  Coils can fail under load as they need to discharge a higher voltage when there is more fuel sloshing around in the cylinder.  Relatively cheap and if it doesn't solve the problem always worth having a spare imo.

Back to the top
True about the coil - I might try the other one again…

There is a pipe coming out from the head as you say, though it doesn't go anywhere - there is a bolt in the end of it!
So this means it is an early Mk2 head does it? Meaning I'll have to try and get some Mk2 injectors with hats on to try!  :banghead:

Back to the top
Yeah youll need hats cos otherwise the other cylinders will bleed air I suspect.

Back to the top
Do you think this could be something more serious, like a burnt out valve or maybe a broken valve spring or something?

If so, this would show in a compression test wouldn't it?

Back to the top
i had a similar problem on and off for the last year no power on acceleration. had lots changed and then this weekend stumbled on the filter in the fuel pump. it was soooo full of crud. cleaned it out and the car is like new. i couldn't believe something so simple could be the answer. see my main post in 'fuel'- under 'problem solved'

good luck i know how you are feeling

mark

Back to the top
Cheers Git - Good to know you sorted yours!

I am planning on taking the pump off this weekend - I'll be sure to check the filter!

Back to the top
hopefully it'll sort yours too?

i hope it is something daft and cheap like mine- that just makes you go duh!- then indeed hoo-rah!

cheers
mark

Back to the top
IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

git (Mark), what's your address mate - I'm going to post you some beer tokens to have a drink on me!

I took the pump off the car this afternoon and this is what I found…

Unbelieveable amount of crud!
No wonder the flippin thing wouldn't run right!

Cleaned it all out, re fitted and took for a spin and all is well!
No quite right mind you due to the fact that I have replaced the Dizzy so the timing is a tad out. Will sort this out this week when I get a chance to run it down my mates and get the timing light on it!

I am SOOOOOO pleased that it is finally sorted!

I also went in and cleaned up, only to find that my little man Charlie was sufferering from a blocked inlet too…

I'm a happy chappy again now… :D

AL.

Back to the top
Congratulations!  :y:  :dance:

From the look of the crud itself, your car had a rusty filler neck at some stage in its past (looks like stuff that the road wheels would have sprayed up, rather than gunk from multiple fuel filling stations' underground tanks)

Glad to hear that the car is back to itself, and nice photo of Charlie, by the way.  :D

Back to the top

Type17 said

From the look of the crud itself, your car had a rusty filler neck at some stage in its past

That's exactly what I thought - very sandy/gritty stuff with bits of rust in too…

The tank and filler neck were taken from the donor Gti I had because they were good. The donor itself must have had the old filler neck problem at some stage and had it replaced  :dontknow:

It's fixed now anyway - I just got to get the timing set right and I'm a happy man once again!
The pump is actually suonding much heathier too!

AL.

Back to the top
Nice one AL_Mk1 it's amazing that its always the simple things that cause so much problems . Think i will go and have a look at mine now  :wink:

Nice pic of young Charlie ………

Cheers…..

Back to the top
Crickey - and I thought my lift pump filter was bad enough……….maybe we should have a 'Rogues Gallery' Section…..
Glad to hear you are sorted, after all that time and agro….

Love the shot of Charlie, just like my grandaughter Amy at feeding time :lol:  :lol:

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
Al,

Very happy for you - well done - and well done to mark for telling us all about it.

So this filter is in the pump inlet from the tank (at the back of the fuel pump)

This shold be in the tings to do when you buy a car and monthly check or summink.

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
Yes- from tank to pump. Just a jubliee clip as it is the gravity fed, inlet side.

Only took about 30 mins (on the floor - no need to lift the car) to get the pump off, filter cleaned and pump back in place.

The filter is like a rubberised plastic with a very fine mesh moulded into it. It is quite flexible, but I don't think it would take much to break it!

Well worth checking out!

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

git (Mark), what's your address mate - I'm going to post you some beer tokens to have a drink on me!

I took the pump off the car this afternoon and this is what I found…

Unbelieveable amount of crud!
No wonder the flippin thing wouldn't run right!

Cleaned it all out, re fitted and took for a spin and all is well!
No quite right mind you due to the fact that I have replaced the Dizzy so the timing is a tad out. Will sort this out this week when I get a chance to run it down my mates and get the timing light on it!

I am SOOOOOO pleased that it is finally sorted!

I also went in and cleaned up, only to find that my little man Charlie was sufferering from a blocked inlet too…

I'm a happy chappy again now… :D

AL.

Yikes that was alot of crap in the fuel pump 8O. Amazing that the car started at all, but I can almost feel the relief myself that the problem was finally found ;).

Cheers

/Mike

-84 GTI Mars red (campaign)

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

-98 VW Passat Variant TDI

Back to the top
Glad to see you finally got to the bottom of that one Al, nice cheap and easy fix :D .

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Cheers guys, I am pleased that it is now fixed - kind of  :oops:

I have messed the timing up to the point that I can't start the car :oops:

With the timing mark on the cam wheel lined up correctly, what should the dizzy look like? Should the rotor arm be pointing at the little notch? 45 degrees past, 90 degrees past etc???

AL.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.