Skip navigation

1.8 GTI vs 1.6 Saxo

Back to the top

1.8 GTI vs 1.6 Saxo

My Mate at work has a 1.6 16v Saxo VTS, would this beet a standard Mk1 1.8 8v GTI in a 0-60 race? I dont know but alot of people think yes? She is comming round on sunday so I expect lots of support from you guys then I can show her this. But seriously what do you think?

Back to the top
Kate the Saxo does 0 to 60 in 7 seconds its a 1600

The Golf MK1 1800 does 0 to 60 in 8.5

What did Citroen build in in the early eighties that did 0 to 60 in 8.5 seconds ? Has a masive following today and has been copied by every other manufacturer ? 2CV ?

Saxo racing !!

Kate tell your mate at work to bring there classic 80's Citroen and race that.

Back to the top

Saxo Raceing

Did they ever make a classic citreon?? Im gutted I had more faith in my old GTI? But I did tell her that I would give her ?50 if her saxo was still on the road in 20 years. :lol:

Back to the top
I heard that Citroen specifically geared the VTS to do 0-60 as quick as possible (ie, in 3rd gear ?) so they could advertise the quickest possible 0-60 time to appeal to the intended (boy racer) audience !  They are quick, but let's face it, every Chav in England has got one ……….

Back to the top
Arrr the old, school boy 0-60 question. :)

A VTS has a faster 0-60 time but so what. :|
It has a lot to do with gear ratio's as first is really short on a MK1 GTI.

I would say its a different story when you're rolling.
Down a back road you're going to be hard pushed to keep up with a golf 1.8 or 1.6 GTI. :wink:

A VTS would probably be quicker on track. Quite possibly due to their wheel setup. I think VW got the wheel and tyres wrong for the gti. In  my opinion 15's are better for getting the power down. My standard 1.6 can't transfer the power efficiently when performing a standing start.  It has understeer problems with slow tight bends as well. I feel 15' would balance it up and give her more grip. But that would be breaking the rules to keep it standard so skinny ass, sketchy tyres it is. :(

Driving a VTS  I'm less confident when pushing them to their limit. They have a nasty habit of "yeah I'm cool taking the corner at this speed……yeah still cool……Uh O maybe not  8O " then suddenly become unsprung and kick out violently. 205's share this phenomenon. Nasty torsion bars! :evil:  Golfs are more gradual, predictable, less sketchy and ultimately more fun to drive on the limit.  :wink:

Which is quicker a Saxo VTS (a newer 16v engine) and a 1.8 MK1 (old 8v engine)? The Saxo but VTS's are a hell of a lot younger than the MK1 GTI's and have different engine technologies (the main difference twice the number of valves), therefore it is unfair to compare the two.

Surely a fairer comparison would be the VTR (8v) against a 1.6 (also 8v) MK1. My moneys on the Dub.

Golfs have far more character, are much cooler and are more fun to drive.

Therefore Golfs win.

Kate tell your friend "nerr nerr na nerr nerr!" from me!

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Kate, dont know what part of Oxford you're from (My old stomping ground!) but take em for a blast down the Merton straight - that'll sort the Saxo out! :wink:  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
What did Citroen build in in the early eighties that did 0 to 60 in 8.5 seconds ?

Citroen CX Turbo, BX GTI, BX 16V GTI, AX GT all come within 8.5 s. CX is pretty cool IMO!

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top

CX is pretty cool IMO!

Time to sell the Vee Dub then ….

Back to the top

oh yeah

that is sick.

Back to the top
ive justed raced 1 of these last night in my old campaign its got 200k on the clock  :lol:there quick slow on the move and dont corner that well . hit this bend flat out in forth doing about 95 -100 made all four wheels squeck  :lol:  then bounchs it the rev limter in fith was so funny burning him off as we pulled in to the petrol station you should of seen his face when he saw i was a woman  :twisted:

Back to the top
:lol:
I'll also be up for that bet….? 50 if its still about in the same number as mk1's are today.
It may be quicker to 60 but at the end of the day its still  $hitroen

Back to the top
This is my sons Saxo site it should be of interest on this topic www.sax-p.com  or www.saxperience.com

Back to the top
No doubt the Saxo is a performing better car than the Mk1 GTi.

That is not the point. The Mk1 is iconic and for me has better styling.

Park the two next to each other in a car park and see which draws the most attention.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Quicker 0-60 ok, but better built, better handling, gearbox, suspension and better steering feedback? I've lost plenty of 106/Saxo gary-boys on back road 50-60 mph bends. Wonder how they feel at 100mph plus  8O . Be interesting to see on the move accelartion figures.

Most little french cars I've been (friends saxo, brothers 106 - aren't they the same floor pans?) tend to have interior bits that start breaking of them as well electrical faults despite being only a couple years old. In the past the french have often built good strong engines, but struggled to build a car round them to match. How many 80's Citroens do you see still on the roads compared to 80s VWs? - I know what one I'll take  :wink: .

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
How many 80's Citroens do you see still on the roads compared to 80s VWs?

When I am in France bucketloads of Citroens, few VWs. It is related to the number sold in the first place. The VW Golf has been a top ten seller in UK since day one, while Citroen sell relatively few cars in UK.

Banner

Back to the top
I went to the car boot sale yesterday to see if I could pick up an early car radio for pennys. On my return back to the car I noticed a small number of people looking around my car. I'd doubt if they was interested in the 0-60 time. The MK1 is beauty, a classic and not many about.

Back to the top
The VTS Saxo is definitely quicker than the stock 1800 Mk1 GTI.  I had a ding dong with one around Castle Coomb and it had both legs and a handling advantage on me, noticeably less understeer in faster corners and much better braking. The only real advantage the mk1 had was torque out of the corners before the 16v came on song.

Hardly surprising really, it has a more modern engine, far better brakes and 20 years of handling expertise advantage over the mk1 in terms of technology.

I've driven one (and my wife used to have a Peugeot 106 GTI which is pretty much the same thing before she was forced to see the light) and they are a hoot and I think quite a good modern version of what a hot hatch would be, I'd have one over a mk3 or mk4 Golf for 'fun'……. common as muck though.  8)

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
Why is this even being debated - the saxo is the smallest load of rubbish ever committed to tarmac….

I'd say there'll be…. mmmmmm none on the road in the next 5 years. Go down the street in a mk1 golf and everyone will look….. who looks at a chav'd up saxo/corsa/106??????????????no-one. they're the scrap mans best friend..

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

Why is this even being debated - the saxo is the smallest load of rubbish ever committed to tarmac….

I'd say there'll be…. mmmmmm none on the road in the next 5 years. Go down the street in a mk1 golf and everyone will look….. who looks at a chav'd up saxo/corsa/106??????????????no-one. they're the scrap mans best friend..
:notworthy:  :lmao:

I beg to differ tho! I reckon they'll be plenty about as when there are no old Novas/Corsas left to glue big front air dams and wings to they'll naturally start using the Saxos!! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I don't know about the mark one beating the saxo, but on the motorway I've had any number of saxos/corsas bug me from behind when I,m caught in traffic in my mark two 16v only to disappear like ants in the distance when the traffic clears. Even the mark two is nearly 15 years old now so, like you say, lets see what citroen/vauxhall had then. The VWs remain unsurpassed at the time.  :wink:

Campaign Mk 1 Black

16v Mk2 Red (decsd )
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.