Skip navigation

Hello from Hampshire

Back to the top

Hello from Hampshire

Drew - you da man!  :cheer:

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Grant I have changed it to allow 35 characters. Give it a go again! Good luck.

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
While we're on the subject of website links, I asked a few months back as well Drew and nothings appeared ???!?!?

Any chance of sorting mine as well please  :) or do i need to resubmit ?

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top
Thanks Drew, much appreciated. And how to I go about Editing my existing entry? When I try it asks for an Admin Username and Password?

Back to the top
Just a  couple quick questions that (hopefully) someone in "the know" will be able to help me with:

1) My Mk1 Campaign is DW (the last 5 digits are 580572). Now, does that mean it is only classed as a "Campaign" for the sake of being able to add it to the Campaign register on this site or does it mean that (for example) if I were to sell the car, I could sell it as a genuine campaign??? I've heard of the term "Grey Campaign" so I was wondering if this is what my car falls under?

2) Its also for my insurance purposes because when I bought my campaign, my dad also bought a genuine EW mars red one at the same time (from the same bloke). Unfortunately some idiot pulled out in front of him just before Xmas and wrote his campaign off (gutted!). When he tried to get the money from his insurance company (he was of course fully comp. insured) they basically said that was simply a Mark 1 Golf GTI and NOT a campaign. Anyway, to cut a long story short its taken until last month to get this sorted (even though my dad had proof of the car being a Campaign). Anyone know of any 3rd party companies that can help proving that your car is a genuine Campaign for the insurance companies sake?

Sorry for the long questioning but if anyone can answer the above questions, that would be great.

:D

Back to the top
Hi Grant, to answer your two questions,

1. Quote from the 'Campaign Checks' section

Please note that there are some valid exceptions to this final rule, and DW chassis cars are illegible for membership providing they exhibit most of the remaining campaign features and have a chassis number higher than 448319.

This means that it is deemed as a Campaign period by the Campaign Register.

2. This has been discussed recently, also from point of view of agreed insurance valuations. I can't remember the conclusion to be honest but think it would be something offered once we are officially a club with paying members?

sorry to hear about your Dads car :cry:

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks Hairyarse, I appreciate it.

I did actually see that quote but wasn't sure if it was just a "Campaign Register" thing for this site or if it meant that I do indeed own a genuine MK1 Campaign.

The car has all the other Campaign traits apart from the fact that the 2 main headlights have "corsshairs" behind the glass!!?? (I think the guy before me put them on as I know they're not a standard feature…..are they??) and my wheels are the original BBS wheels and not the Pirelli P's, but that's fine with me as I personally think the BBS alloys look better than the Pirelli P alloys (bet I've opened a can of worms there with the Pirelli P lovers!!).

Anyway, I have plans to get some brand new proper campaign headlights (I believe the glass is supposed to have vertical grooves down them?), some new bumpers and wheel arches, and a few other items to smarten it up a bit because the condition of the paint/body is a bit let down by the state of the plastics (having faded over the years)!!

Back to the top
You're right about the front fog lights (do you mean these or the main headlights?) The front fogs have the vertical lines in the glass but a lot of us too have the ones with the little blue, square Hella logo in the middle.

The BBS wheels were never standard on a MK1 - but I agree with you they do look good! :wink:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yeah, I meant the fog lights  :oops:  and not the main headlights.

The BBS alloys were standard on the Mk2 campaign weren't they? I think thats the BBS alloys I've got.

Not even sure how much my campaign is worth??? I bought it about 2 years ago for ?1500 and at the time it had done 116,000 miles. Its now got 126,000 and I use it as a daily driver, so I've only put 10,000 on in 2 years, which can't be bad. It's in really good condition (I was hoping to take some photos of it and post them on here but I havent got round to it yet). Just not too sure how to put a price tag on a campaign. I know they're pretty saught after given their rarity. Anyway, I think ?1500 is pretty cheap considering the condition of the car.

I was actually really lucky cos at the time I had an 8v Mk 2 GTI (Pearl Grey) that I paid ?2995 for and I wasn't even looking for another car, never mind a Mk1 Campaign. My Dad is a mechanic and MOT tester and someone had told him about a guy (not very far from us) who had a few Mk1 campaigns that he was selling. So, we went to see this guy a week or so later and he had two 1.8 Mk1 Campaigns (my Lhasa Green one, and my Dads Mars Red one) and a 1.6 black mk1 (not sure if this is actually a campaign) with the original 9 spoke alloys! the black 1.6 one needed a bit of work (mainly the body - paint etc.) but we ended up giving the guy ?2650 for the mars red and lhasa green campaigns! He was actually really gutted to see them go cos he really loved them, but apparently him and his wife were moving to Cornwall or something and they're new house didn't have the room to cater for 3 cars on top of their daily runners so he had to get rid of them!

Bit of a result I think. As much as I love my campaign, I am going to need a newer car soon (cos of my job). It just depends on whether I can afford to keep the campaign AND afford a new car. It just seems a waste to put the campaign in storage and not use it as a daily driver, when some other lucky person can be enjoying it. Hmmmmm, decision decisions!

Right, I'll shut up now

Back to the top
Does sound like you got a bargain for the two cars.

BBS were on run out MK2's?

1.6 never fitted to Campaign originally!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
CrazyQuiff: I've sent you an email regarding your grille trims.

If you could reply at your earliest that would great.

Many thanks.

Back to the top
Grant - done!

Back to the top
Hi Rich, the "hockey sticks" arrived on Friday so they were there waiting for me when I got home from work. The trim set looks superb, better than I expected to be honest, so thanks for that.

I didn't have time to put them on my car this weekend so I am planning on doing it this weekend so hopefully, I'll be able to post my old set to you (first class) on Saturday morning (depends if I can get to the post office BEFORE I play golf in the morning).

Anyway, once again Rich, top quality products delivered quicker than most.

Thanks.

Grant

Back to the top
Cheers Grant,

Glad you like them  :D

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.