Skip navigation

HOW MUCH?!?

Back to the top

HOW MUCH?!?

Just spoken to my local VW dealership who said they can get me both front wings at a cost of 200quid!.  Where else might i try for genuine panels or is this my only option?

Back to the top
8O  They werent that much when i priced them up, more like ?60 each which still doesnt come to ?200, give gpc a go, genuine stuff and most of the time cheaper than anywhere else

Back to the top
I think VW have put them up in price and giving the dealers less discount as they are getting so rare.. Robbing Ba~@$%?s

1996 Gti Anniversary 8v Mystic Blue
1995 Gti 16v Fjord blue

Back to the top
With pattern wings being so plentyful i think vw are doing themselves out of business  :lol:

Back to the top
Just rang GPC who said they no longer supply wings or bonnets as they cannot buy them in at a reasonable enough price.  Looks like the stealers are really hiking up the prices and taking advantage of the situation, sons of bitches!, i`m going to have to pay top wack by the look of it.

Back to the top
Anyone know what the pattern ones like? Need some myself, ?200 seems a bit much. Suppose most secondhand ones are a bit grotty.

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Price a new fuel tank up from vw  :wink:  will make the wings seem cheap

Back to the top
I think i need one of them as well.  Is there anyway of checking the pump in my tank?  Should it even have a pump?  Its 1 1983 1.8.

Back to the top

daniboy123 said

I think i need one of them as well.  Is there anyway of checking the pump in my tank?  Should it even have a pump?  Its 1 1983 1.8.

the pump is behind the sill at the drivers side wheel arch. :D

Volksdevil.com - Gone but not forgotten | CorradoG60.co.uk

Back to the top
y not jus ring up a few scrappies. dont know where you all are but in london i know quite a few fantastic vw only scrappies. they have EVERYTHING u could dream of.

Back to the top
I though some gti`s had a pick up pump inside the tank?

Back to the top
Thanks for the idea but the way i see it as i`m restoring the car i want straight rot free and genuine panels and buying them new is the only way to ensure this.  I would consider buying from a scrappie if i could see the panels first but i dont know of any mk1s near me (I live in the north-east).

Back to the top
All the yards down here laugh when you mention Mk1 Golf….

There's only one I know of down this part of the world and the wings, bonnet and tailgate are dead. Shame, cos that's what we need too…

How poor are pattern wings, then?

NO Golfs at present!!!!:-(

Back to the top
Having a bad brain moment  :banghead: Is that the price per wing or ?200 for the pair? I need two wings and a bonnet. I think Citigolf bonnets may be the same,but the wings look quite different.

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
Its 200 for both and the bonnet is about 150.  I was thinking about getting a second hand pair but its proving to be very difficult to locate a mint genuine pair so i have just about given up.  I also need a bonnet as mine has rusted quite badly on the underside.

Back to the top
I think the brand new ones are the only way forward. All the second hand ones I have seen had at least a bit of rust on them somewhere. Kicking myself because I sold a really good pair of wings just before I bought my Campaign.

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
Are you planning on replacing some panels on your campaign?  I`m going to have to get both wings and a bonnet.  Tailgate will clean up (i hope).  My biggest worry is the rust around the sunroof.  It has come through the roof skin in places and the seem is rotten near the sunroof tray :cry: .  Has anyone had any experience of repairing a roof like this (please dont say i might need a new roof skin).  I will try and get some pics and post them up here.

Back to the top

daniboy123 said

I though some gti`s had a pick up pump inside the tank?

just the later mk1 cabs,all mk1's before these just had an exterior pump.

neil.

Volksdevil.com - Gone but not forgotten | CorradoG60.co.uk

Back to the top
Cheers mate.  I wasnt sure and it looks like i`m going to need another tank too!.  When will it ever end?.

Back to the top
Yes,I am replacing all bolt off panels! I also have rust around the sunroof, but after talking to a bodyshop it looks as if the best option is cutting out the rotten areas and letting in new metal rather than replacing the roof. I suppose it depends how bad the rust is. Originally I wanted to replace the roof but I think its better not to if it can be avoided.

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.