Skip navigation

can a use a small amount of copper micro bore to match...

Back to the top

can a use a small amount of copper micro bore to match...

can a use a small amount of copper micro bore from B&Q to match up to my existing steel fuel pipe and what connectors can I use?

Back to the top
8O  as a temporary repair i cut a decent section out of some good fuel line and used 8mm microbore compression fittings, gave it a smear of red gasket sealant before i put the nuts on, went arround like that for a few months and even took it upto oxford like it (im in cornwall) but i wouldnt have thought microbore pipe is a good idea, find a mk1 in a scrappy and cut a section out, mk2 scirocco also had steel lines and are easier to find

Back to the top
Good idea about getting some pipe off a mk2 scirocco. Where did you get the fittings from.

Cheers

Back to the top
I had a spare line and used the front section from that, had already had the rear section cut off it by my dad some years ago when his burst, since replaced both lines but they are a bitch to do, something people should realy consider doing when the engine is out!

Back to the top
ahh you probably meen microbore fittings, think i got them from b&q, not expensive

Back to the top
Cheers storm, hoping that the temp repair will last a few years :wink: . At the moment I have patched it up with fuell hose but suspect the MOT inspector will fail it.

Back to the top
Just need to watch that the fuel hose you have used with withstand the pressure, dad learnt from his mistakes  :wink:  cant actualy see a problem with the mot man, working on a scirocco gtx at the moment which has rubber repairs in several places and that been through several mot's like it :)

Back to the top
Interesting!

My MOT inspector said last year "I can't do an MOT on this car because I cannot inspect the condition of the fuel and brake lines with all this recent underseal painted all over the pipes. I just managed to persuade him that undersealing the pipes was ok.

Back to the top
My fuel pipes are the rubber fuel type tubes front to back (were there when I bought the car) with no real issues.

Mate of mine in the village works in local garage and does MOT's. He wanted to fail a Range Rover once coz he couldn't see a break pipe where it went over chassis leg or something like that. But as this was only experience telling him to fail it coz condition of rest of pipe (and he knew the bit he couldn't see was in rust trap!) the owner protested and he had to pass it.

Day or two later the man was back in with his Range Rover with a failed brake pipe!!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hairy,
What do you mean "My fuel pipes are the rubber fuel type tubes front to back (were there when I bought the car) with no real issues".

I thought MK1 pipes where steel?

Back to the top
You're right, the original ones are steel! But for some reason, a previous owner replaced the fuel lines with a rubber fuel hose - high pressure 'n' all - but not steel.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Interesting..food for thought.

Back to the top
I think VW used steel because that?s what was available back in the mid 70s. All the later injected stuff uses rubber or plastic piping that was expensive by then. Steel was also used as protection against road debris rather than to cope with the pressure, which is relatively low compared to air line and brake lines etc. I did mine when the engine was out and it was up on a 4 poster. If I was doing on the garage floor with the engine in I think I?d use some petrol grade fuel hose with appropriate ends.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
If I cut off rhe steel pipes and used rubber how would you go about clipping it to the body work?

Back to the top
whats to stop you actualy running stainless braided hose inside the car? gromet the entry and exit points, know the brake lines where done that way on the early cars, also less chance of anything nocking the hose and damaging it, doesnt realy get any hotter inside the car anyway so there shouldnt be a fire risk as long as there are no leaks

Back to the top
Err, if I dropped my fag and there was a leak from the fuel pipes the car would go up in flames.

Back to the top
I am having a set of "flexible stainless braided pipes " made they will be complete end to end including fittings and have no joins be of PTFE 1/4 bore , able to with stand 250psi be tested and will be easy to fit in the original mounting points  …..

Watch this space

Chudd…..

Back to the top
What do you mean by end to end?

Back to the top
When I had my Astra Sri someone tried to nick the petrol out of it by cutting the fuel lines (metal) under the car. Called the AA out and he tried to bridge the gaps with fuel hose and jubilee clips. As soon as I started the car it just blew the rubber hose on the 'to' side off - the pressure was too much.
Personally I wouldn't try to repair a feed line on an injection car with rubber hose unless it had the correct (threaded) fittings on the end and was of the proper reinforced type. Microbore central heating pipe is very, very soft. Wouldn't like to use that. If you're trying to repair a bad section then a large autofactors may have proper fuel line (metal) in stock. They should also have suitable fittings to go along with it. You will have to use a flaring tool on the ends of the original and new pipes to use the fittings. Alternatively a garage might do this for you. I had a bad section of front to back brake line on an old car and the MOT place just spliced in a foot long new bit using proper fittings.
The ends of my fuel lines snapped off when I took the pump and tank off. I messed around with reapirs for a while but ended up buying complete new lines in the end.
Good luck with it !
Mark

Back to the top
What do you mean by end to end?

They will be continuous eg from the accumulator to the filter -for the fuel supply pipe-and from fuel return on the distridution unit to a small rubber elbow next to the tank return inlet . Will be ready on Friday so will post some pictures of the finished product then .

Chudd……

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.