Skip navigation

feel like giving up :-(

Back to the top

feel like giving up :-(

I rigged up a top alarm (well the potiential thief might think so) with a flash relay LCD which was wired to the ignition and installed on the dashboard for 3 pounds.

Back to the top
i know what ppl saying bout the sound is right, i shoud have put a budget one in but sound is my focal point in a car. i only bought the sound system before the alarm etc because a mate of mine works in a shop and he received overstock so offered it to me rock bottom price.
theres one sub. its a space sub from vibe, bout 2400watts approx. i agree thats alot of bass but i also bought 800w 6x9's to even that out (vibe qb69) obviously the bass will not be to max power but when i am at car meets (ace cafe etc) it feels good to open the boot and show em off. i have 300watt door speakers also.
i am feeling it was a bad decision but i knew offer would not be there again.
i already have a budget microscan alarm lying around which i guess i could get fitted, but the 6x9s will be impossible to hide because of the structure of em, they are 3d square shaped.

its all so much effort :-s

Back to the top

Greg said

You'll be ok with your system as long as you only really crank it up when you're well away from where you live and probably away from town too. When scumbags hear a loud car and see it regularly, then they'll find it and rob it.

I speak from experience, having lost at least 3 lots of audio gear from various cars (including one with a top of the range toad alarm on.) Don't bother with a loud audio setup unless you got somewhere secure to park the car, it will get stolen. I know too many people who've had stuff niked from their cars. A friend had his back window smashed just to they could take his back shelf with a pair of crappy 6x9s on!

I've learned (in my opinion) that expensive audio just isn't worth it, as you you daren't show it to anyone or show it off, because you just know once the word gets round it will get stolen. Lets face it, they don't care about your car, so will probably just 'smash and grab'

Also in my opinion, alarms make little difference to stuff being stolen from cars. It will stop the actual car getting stolen, but generally if people steal stuff from a car, they will just smah a window and grab what they can quickly. So if you do put the audio gear in, make sure it's all bolted down well!!

Mike

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
dunno where u live peter but here ppl will smash windows if theres a fiva inside the car

A fiver! I wouldn't leave 5p visible inside my car. Clucking smackheads are the same wherever you live!

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
hang in there its worth it!

I spent 2 years mucking about with mine-

took it for a drive and fell in love all over again

then the reversing lights packed up and I think the hotstart problem has returned

keep my fingers crossed when I drive it but love it just the same

if you sell youll wish you never had

"Racing is life, everything before or after  is just waiting" (Steven Mcqueen)

Back to the top
I have spare doors, check your PM

Black MK1 GTI Campaign SOLD
Blue T5 GP 2010 Transporter (Van)
Orange M6L 2012 Brompton (Bike)
Neversummer 2012 Revolver (Snowboard)

Back to the top
ok all is nearly finished now. jus need to prepare it for respray... does anyone have any idea how long approx this will take.. i have uni etc so i really need some organizing to do

Back to the top

paint

as long as you let it !

Back to the top
what the hell is going on!!!! no shop in north london seems to have the right grit paper!!! anyways dad said screw it and take it to a garage, got a couple quotes on it.... not too sure on the workers though. car will be finished real soon.... i can feel it in my bloody :-)

Back to the top
Is it just the doors? If so you should be able to do this in a day or two. Take all the trim off, rust treat and filler any stone chips or marks in the paint. If you need to use any filler I'd leave it overnight so its properly gone off. Then all you need to do is flat back starting with something like 300 grit wet n'dry and finishing with 800 ensuring you get all the surfaces (particularly any filller) as flat as possible.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Sorry didn't see your post before I posted  :? What grit you after? Should be able to get all grits from Halfords, although not the cheapest. Be ready to pay a bit for someone to prep your doors for you. As they say acheiving a good paint finish is mostly in the preping (wouldn't guess I'm a painter/decorator for a living  :roll: ). I's do it yourself that way you can be sure of the standard and throughness of the job.

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
ok well after running around to every halfords and wickes and b&q and whatever stores there are in north london my dad got pissed off and told me to take it to a body shop and he'd pay half  :D
i went to some local bodyshops who were quoting me 200 for the door and panel, i thought this was fairly reasonable as i was expecting it to be 350, but the work men looked a bit….. unprofessional, i kept asking them questions and got replies in eastern european or arabic accents that made no sense what so ever eg
Me: "what if i prepare the car myself and all you have to do is paint?"
worker: "no no we still check it and prepare it again to make perfect, 200 and i paint inside of door for you for free deal?"

anyways today i was stupidly going to book it in at any random paint shop, i mean the paint probably would have flaked in a yr or 2 but at least for a yr or 2 my car would be all the same colour but then distaster! car wouldnt start, it kept choking. turns out because its not been driven in 3 months the carb became filled with dirt etc. so i ran down the road to my mechanic mark who oredered a new fuel pump and got it up and runnin. i told him bout body work shop. he told me he was actually on his way to a bodyshop to do an engine rebuild for the owner and that they do brilliant jobs. so with the car up and running i followed him. first off im not used to the brakes on a mk1!!! this is the first time since august (when bought) that iv driven it more than 5mins and it felt brilliant but the brakes!!!! i nearly crashed into the mk1 of my mechanic in front!! then the engine started over heating so we pulled up. turns out i forgot to connect the earth wire back when i replaced the batt on sunday NIGHT so the fan wasnt working  :oops: , it was dark so i couldnt see. anyways finally got there price given:?100  :D  :D  :D
booked it for saturday. the cars nearly done and i cant wait  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Back to the top
Sounds like your Golf was trying to tell you something :lol: . Good its all worked out well in the end, the bodyshop that you visited first sounded a touch dodgy.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
ahhhh at long last the car is finished!!!!!  :D   :D  :D  :D  some imperfections with the indicators and wipers but apart from that runs like a dream.

HOWEVER in the space of 3days been stopped by police 2times  :(  first time i was testing the car out when an undercover mondeo came bombing up my ass, thought he wanted a race  :(  so i gave him one :(  flashed his blues and twoes. took some deatils and let me off… thankfully i was doing corners at 50 on a normal road. least i know the handling is superb!
anyways iv been offered a free bmw 3series n reg which i may take in a few months also been offered a job in new york during summer so will probably have to sell it  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  been working on it since august!!!! still it was alot of fun and a once in a lifetime experiance.

cheers
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.