Skip navigation

More starting / running problems - possibly fuel related?

Back to the top

More starting / running problems - possibly fuel related?

Thanks Simac - a useful site. Couldn't see the part for the 1800 DX listed though? I was looking under VW fuel injection systems, but nothing going back as old as '83?

Cheers,

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
Simac - would be very interested in step by step instructions of how you serviced your metering head if you have time to post them. The VW part number on the Eclats website for the 1600 metering head is 049 133 481 JX. Lists the 1800 one as 049 133 481KX, which doesn't tie in with the number you have. Are they given both Bosch and VW parts numnbers?

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
After further investigation, and a bit of a chat with a few other people, the prime suspect is now the cold start valve (also called the cold start injector).

See Crazyquiff's post on this subject for more details. Bottom line is I think its leaking, causing the mixture to be way too rich when the engine starts warming up and causing it to stall and then not restart.

I suspect the valve itself rather than the thermo timer switch that activates it, as the behavior is exactly the same with the thermo timer switch disconnected.

Next test will be removing the cold start valve from the inlet manifold to see if it is allowing fuel through after its initial 3-10 sec period of operation. If it is then the replacement is still pricey (50 quid + VAT from ECP), but at least I will know I have solved the problem.

If the valve checks out OK then I guess I'm back to square 1  :roll: , but the symptoms seem consistent with too much fuel, so its as good a bet as any.

Chris

Back to the top
Chris,
         Check the reply I put on Crazy's post.
As to the part no. for your fuel distribution head check your Bosch no. on your item. I think it will be the same as the Audi 80 item.

Simon :)

'83 Mars Red GTI

Back to the top
Thanks Simon. In fact rather than have two threads going on this I am going to lock this one and continue the discussion in Rich's thread (Crazyquiff) which can be found here:

This should help keep thing in one place and prevent duplicate info.

Cheers,

Chris

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.