Skip navigation

A few questions to help me get started

Back to the top

A few questions to help me get started

Greg said

So the rear intermit will work with a fwd push on the right stick, and stop with another fwd push?.

Exactly, every 6 secs until you push it again (or turn off the engine).

Not too close to Berks, I know, but there is a good Audi breakers in Hockliffe, Beds (on the A5). 90% Audi's but the VW's he gets in are usually highish specs (GLS, GTI on older ones & V5, V6 4-motion, etc for newer models)

Back to the top
thanks for the tip. I've called about 6 already after some seats, seems they're hard to find. I'll keep looking.

Back to the top

Type17 said

Greg said

Also, if you fit a rear wiper relay from a Mk2 Golf/Polo (marked "72" on top), it will give you a six-second intermittent rear wiper (ideal for driving over 40MPH in the wet).

Now that is a useful tip. Wish I'd known that when I had a CL model golf. I did some clever wiring on mine with a switch so I could switch the rear wiper on when I wanted because as I remember it, it only worked when you pushed the stick to operate the rear washer, damned annoying!

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
Hi, to update the relay is in and i now have intermittent wipe :)
It parks a bit high in between wipes though for some reason - perhaps i have the older relay i forgot to check. But it cost nothing and i'm pretty pleased. Thanks especially to superworm for looking up the numbers.
cheers

Back to the top
Also, i've got a nice set of GTi clocks in - no problems - speeds seem the same (wondered if the gearing was so different that they may display wrong info) and the rev counter works with no additional wiring needed. They are brighter at night too, must have fresher bulbs in. . .

Also fitted a nice GTi centre console, sans gauges though.

Back to the top
The different wiper-parking may be because your motor/linkage/spindle is slow/stiff (The relay cuts the current at the "wrong" place, because it expects the arm to be further along than it actually is). The Mk1 rear wiper mechanism is famous for stiffening up when it doesn't get much use: try lubing it, and then use it as much as possible.

The gearing of the speedo is dependent on the drive gear at the gearbox end of the speedo cable - different colours define the different numbers of teeth for different final drives in different gearboxes, so changing the speedo head will be fine - it's changing the tyres' circumference, or the gearbox, or the speedo cable drive that will affect the readings.

Back to the top
I'll WD40 the wiper motor at the front, but will this really make the park position correct? The normal wiper modes cover the screen perfectly but the wipers park about 4 inches up from the bottom of the sweep. Its something i'd like to sort out. I considered taking the arm off the spindle but as it ends higher than the lowest point i guess it'll start wiping the bonnet!

The wheel height makes sense now you mention it. Although i used to be told i was doing 92mph at full knacker, but since the GTi clocks are in, i only reach 86mph :(

Back to the top
Sorry, thought you were referring to the rear wiper not parking correctly.

Are the front wipers not parking correctly in between intermittent wipes AND when you turn them off, OR do they park fine when turned off, but are too high between intermittent wipes?

If they are wrong in both cases, you need to reposition the crank-arm on the motor. Loosen the 10mm nut when the wipers are parked (too high), and wiggle the crank-arm to break it's grip on the motor's spindle, then manually move the two wiper arms to the correct park position, and re-tighten the crank-arm nut. Test any changes like this, for the first time,  with the wiper arms RAISED, just in case you've got it wrong!

If they park fine when turned off, but too high during intermittent operation, the wiper arm spindles at the bottoms of the wiper arms, are corroded and siezed. You'll need to diassemble them to clean and re-grease them. WD-40 won't do any good here - they get quite rusty, and the only solution is a good clean-out…

Back to the top

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Type17,
On normal wipe they park 4 inches high, and on intermittent wipe they park about 10 inches high. But in both cases the wiper arm moves up to the correct position, then down to the correct position, then up a bit to park if that makes sense. See pic.

Hariy, thanks for the link. Nice work Riley!

Back to the top
Looks like you have two issues.

The park is set wrong, even on continuous wipe, so follow my bit above about loosening the crank-arm and setting the park for the wiper arms manually, and then re-tightening the nut on the motor's spindle. This should sort out the "4 inches too high" issue on normal (continuous) wipe.

Then, if the intermittent wipe's park position is still wrong (perhaps 10 minus 4 equals 6inches), you'll need to follow Riley's excellent "how-to", to clean out the spindles (might not need to do the motor too, I'd do the wiper-arm spindles first, and then see if I still needed to do the motor, as it's a good bit more tricky).

The reason the wipers stop in funny paces when the spindles are stiff is that, on a single intermittent sweep, the intermittent relay gives power to get the (well-lubed) wipers up to about 14 inches, and then cuts off, this design assuming that the park circuit in the wiper motor will finish the job. The problem is that the park circuit only starts at about 12 inches, and if your spindles are stiff/motor is slow (tired windings), the wipers haven't got high enough to "catch" the park circuit and get left at about 10 inches up the screen, until the next wipe cycle about 6 secs later.

Back to the top
Great, thanks very much Type17, i'll do as you say and let you know how i get on.

Back to the top
Remember to RAISE the wiper arms before testing, after any adjustments!

Also, remember that, on a Mk1 you CAN'T raise the bonnet with the wiper arms raised!

Back to the top
Gotcha !!   :D

Back to the top

Greg said

Although i used to be told i was doing 92mph at full knacker, but since the GTi clocks are in, i only reach 86mph :(

Must be to do with atmospherics and a good waxing, but last night i managed 92mph again . Felt solid too  :D

Back to the top
Sorry to keep harping on, but i managed 100mph this evening in my 1.1 it made my day to see 3 figures on the speedo  :P

Back to the top
…and 3 points on your license!!! :lol:

What was 100mph like in a 1.1? 8O

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
erm it was done on a private road  :wink:
at 100mph it felt surprisingly solid.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.