Skip navigation

Back, with no MK1 :(

Back to the top

Back, with no MK1 :(

Also look at:

* The lip that runs along the sills, where you put the jack.

* The rear of the sills, generally.

The rear wheel arch lips.

* The two square box-sections that run from the rear of the sills, over the axle, and back to the rear bumper brackets.

The area behind the rear wheel arches, around where rear mudflaps would be fitted.

Bottoms of doors, bottom of tailgate, and around tailgate window-seal

Around windscreen seal (outer-most 6 inches of lower edge)

* The upper edge of the inner wings (inside bonnet area, around suspension towers) - especially affects pre-'83 cars, which didn't have front wheel-arch liners.

* Offside rear seat-belt mount (sprayed by offside rear wheel inside arch) - examine mount from inside boot, under shelf-side, and behind seat-belt reel itself

Filler neck, behind filler cap, checked with a hand put up inside the arch, above the tyre (careful not to cut your finger if there is any rust, which will be on to of the filler-neck pipe)

All this sounds very bad, but cars with most or all of these areas suffering from bad rust are rare, but should be avoided if found.

Areas marked with a * are a real pain to fix, so best left to enthusiasts, the other stuff isn't too bad, if the rest of the car is good, although it can all be fixed, if you're good with a welder…

Back to the top
Trying to put me off, but i won't be put off.  :oops:

Really want an mk1, so i'll get an mk1. I'll keep a look out for those. I'm not really of a welder myself, more of the filler guy. Sanding down (never done on a car), and filling it (never done). But thats more with what i'm comfortable with.

Just waiting for the person to reply in regards to the car.

Back to the top

kapur said

Trying to put me off, but i won't be put off.  :oops:

You needn't be put off - when I was looking for my first Golf in '94, the newest ones were only 10/11 years old, and there were a lot of ropey, dying, neglected ones around, but today, most of those ones are dead, and the majority remaining are the "luckier" ones (never got crashed and fixed badly, got serviced well, never raced too much, etc).

However, with any car model, there will always be a few iffy ones around, and these are the places that any Mk1 goes rusty, and rust is the hardest thing to fix, so try not to buy one that will break your heart…

Back to the top
I've got a choice of MK1's, but the other person hasn't got back to me yet, and the person who has, the car is local, just that it wont turn over, so i'm pretty scared about purchasing that…

The other one sounds like it'll cost quite a bit more.

Keep my fingers crossed i get a deal, and the car turns out better than i expect.

Back to the top
I don't understand, but has the prices of the MK1 1.1 ONLY gone up?

I mean, i've heard of the GTi selling for over ?1k which is understandable, but the 1.1 version?

Why is everyone over-pricing/trying to get money from me?

Unfortunately, i'm having to paste this email i had received, sorry if it upsets or angers anyone, kindly do let me know, and i'll take it down….:-

"hello mate.
             im jus emailing u to tell u bout the car fully and then u can lemme kno if ur interested. its a 1983 model. comes with mk2 interior. the enigine is fantastic altho the battery is dead at the moment. i have bills for bout 500 quid that iv spent on it since august. body is really good how ever one door is red and one panel is bronze, had to be changed because of rust. 95k on the clock. front seats are screwed in the rear ones are not. shock absorbers all changed, all four, rear ones are gti one so a bit stiffer. sound system im not going to sell with the car as its worth more than the car itself. the car has full mot and tax. wheels on it right now are black alloys 16's, im plannin on gettin ronal turbo but not if im going to sell. so that maybe one thing for u to consider. errrm thats bout it, insurance is dirt cheap. im finkin of sellin because iv jus run out of money, so i mean i dont kno, im jus considering my options. the car already has component speakers in the front which i can leave in, they are very good.
with all this in mind im lukin for around a g. from the colours of the car and the interior as it has not been fitted properly it may sound a bit too much. but there is NO rust to the car and the engine is IMMACULATE jus been services, had the full works done. vw mechanic lives down the road, he can verify everything.
iv been as honest as i can be. and there is no profit in the price im asking.
but lemme kno because a few of my mates are lukin at it too.

cheers

dizzy"

Kindly do leave your comments and suggestions. I do want an mk1, but that does not mean i'll stupidly spend so much money on a poor example. It'd be great if people could kindly keep a look out for a 1.1 5 door on my behalf, and let me know if you find anything.

Thanks to all who have replied, your help has been greatly appreciated.

Back to the top
I know i'm being silly, but what/where are the sills on the mk1?

I don't understand where or what the sills are, when people say, the sills will need replacing, or, the sills are rusted?

Are the sills the bottom bit of the body below the door of the car?

Back to the top

kapur said

I know i'm being silly, but what/where are the sills on the mk1?

I don't understand where or what the sills are, when people say, the sills will need replacing, or, the sills are rusted?

Are the sills the bottom bit of the body below the door of the car?

Exactly, the section that "holds the floor to the door-frames" - important part of the car, structurally, and needs to be ok to pass an MOT.

If I remember rightly, 5-door sill-sections are still available from VAG but the  (different) 3-door ones are obsolete.

Regarding the car above, if it was me, I'd let it go, because I'd be more interested in a more original example, but if it sounds like what you want, you should see if he will take (a good bit) less ? for it.
However, if you can't agree a price, let it go - there really IS always another one…

Back to the top
ok ppl i feel i have to defend myself here. im the one who is asking a grand for the 5dr mk1. im sorry if all of you feel its over priced but like i sed i am not selling for profit only what i have spent and done on it. i have bills and reciepts. it has new mot and tax. new filler neck, new clutch, new breaks new panels, engine has been totally restored to full glory.
the price reflects all of this. whtehr u get a mk1 1.1 for 400 or 200 u will have to spend spend spend, whther its a gti or a 1.1

im sorry i just felt i had to defend myself to everyone saying it was silly asking price. the car is standing and ready to go. its a classic, its a mk1. need i say more?

hope everyone is cool and everyones golf are a ok over these cruel winter months :-)

Back to the top
and no it is not a poor example. i gotta say im really disapointed with peoples reactions. apart from interior paint and wheels its sorted. iv sorted out some ronal turbo alloys for it, and iv just bought some original gti stripped seats to put in as well.

i aint burnin up jus a lil saddend by peoples responses.
ur also a student at uni, and i wish u all the best in a project especially when money is this tight at this stage in lives. its not as easy or cheap as one may think.

keep easy all :-D

Back to the top
Right, i've found a car.

Just waiting for confirmation if it's a 1.1 or 1.5!

What should i go with? The v5 document which says it's a 1.5? or dvla who have it registered as a 1.1 to the registration plate?

Also, if a car is giving blue smoke, what may be the cause/problems?

The car has just a little less than 50,000 miles on the clock.

Also, could people kindly supply me with some companies that will be able to get (recover) a car from stafford to birmingham please? It's not that far.

Back to the top
To be honest, if the car is really good, and the people viewing it have seen other 1.1 Golfs, and are aware of the type of stuff out there, and the prices involved, you may well get the money that you are looking for.

Bear in mind that no one here has seen your car (even in a pic, not to mention in the metal), so it's really hard to say what it's worth, down to the nearest ?100 or so, so don't be offended if we have appeared to have undervalued it.

But bear in mind that most cars of any make & model which are over 20 years old, and which are the base model of their range, are rarely worth ?1,000 even in excellent condition. Also, bear in mind that you may not get back all of the money you spend on any car pound-for-pound, eg: spending ?200 on replacing the clutch on a ?1500 car does not make it worth ?1700.

However, you have replaced some of the expensive and time-consuming things which can wear out on a car, so that stands in it's favour.

The most important thing when valuing a car is to have seen multiple examples of a similar model, in your area, so you know what cars in better, similar, and worse, conditions are being bought and sold for. This applies to both buyers and sellers in equal measure.

Back to the top
To be honest, this is the only 1.1 i've found which is more local to myself.

Only being in stafford, but i'm going to need help with recovery.

Could someone recommend something?

Also, what about the blue smoke?

Back to the top
Blue smoke ain't a great sign, usually oil being burnt. I think i'm right in saying that if its under load its worn bores/pistons and if its on the overrun the valve guides. Whatever it will cost money to sort, obviously cheapest to do yourself. Probably cheaper to find a 1100 engine at a scrappers.

Can only suggest digging out the Yellow Pages and phoning around recovery and vehicle movers. Stafford to Birmigham is about 40 miles, from experience that could cost ?100 or so.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
I've been getting quite a bit of information, it doesn't sound like it'll be expensive to get the engine working again.

Does anyone know where i can source either a brand new or second hand 1.1 engine from?

If so, how much are they on average?

Back to the top

Nice selection of Mk1's there Type17, Is that a Ballsbridge or a Grange sticker on the malaga red one

FOR SALE:1982 VW Golf 1.8 GTi (VW Classic Green Pearl)

2006 VW Touareg 2.5TDI (Ravenna Blue)Fully loaded

FOR SALE:2003 VW Golf PD150 (Reflex Silver)

172.5bhp/299.1lb ft (standard/no modifications)

1990 BMW M3 (US Model)

www.vagdrivers.net

Back to the top
You can recognize the small-block engine (1.1, 1.3) versus the big-block engines (1.5, 1.6, 1.8 ) because the small ones have the circular air filter housing at the rear of the engine (see brown car above), whereas the others have a square one there (carburettor) or a remote one, located away from the engine (fuel injection).

All early 1.1 and 1.5 carb models had a rectangular remote filter on the right hand side inner wing.  :wink:

A pretty rare sight though!

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

You can recognize the small-block engine (1.1, 1.3) versus the big-block engines (1.5, 1.6, 1.8 ) because the small ones have the circular air filter housing at the rear of the engine (see brown car above), whereas the others have a square one there (carburettor) or a remote one, located away from the engine (fuel injection).

All early 1.1 and 1.5 carb models had a rectangular remote filter on the right hand side inner wing.  :wink:

A pretty rare sight though!

Cheers
Rajan

You mean the 1.1 is a rare sight?

I think thats what your on about, and i can second that. I'm looking for one, 5 door too.  :cry:

Back to the top
No I mean a '75 with remote filter is a rare sight.

1.1s are pretty common as they existed the lifespan on the Mk1.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

No I mean a '75 with remote filter is a rare sight.

1.1s are pretty common as they existed the lifespan on the Mk1.

Cheers
Rajan

Thats a shame, taking me ages to find my 1.1.  :cry:

I don't think i'll actually find it, and in the end, will be put off of buying a car. I know i really love the MK1's.  :cry:

Back to the top
Kapur, don't give up. 5 door 1.1's aren't the most common model, but there not that rare. Shame you don't want a 3 door 1.1 or a 5 door 1.3 - you'd be spolit for choice. Have you checked out the difference between insuring a 1.1 and 1.3, might not be that much. When I was looking for a small engined golf I found there was little difference in the insurance quotes I was given for 1.1 or 1.3. I was trying to find a 1.3 3 door, but apart from a couple of wrecks they were all 5 doors - found 3 door 1.1 in the end.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.