Skip navigation

Replacement engine

Back to the top

Replacement engine

Very rare car, never seen one on the roads in years. Probably a very good investment, worth holding.

Back to the top
Well i currently have 5 of them although two are in bits, yeah love these cars and although the 79 is up for sale im keeping the storm and gti for good

Back to the top
I,m interested, has it got a TSR or VEGE engine? ;-)

Back to the top
Mine are all low mileage so no need, storm has done 59k, gti has done 48k and gls has done 61k and the other two are for spares should i need anything  :lol:

Back to the top

lhasa said

Cheers Chris,

I'm a little more cautious with engineering company's after the recent complete restoration rebuild of my DX head by Princess Engineering, as you know the engine is running (just) on two cylinders after a recent rebuild.

Have you not got any come-back on these guys then?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hairy,
Been down that road before, cash transaction trust and all that, never again. I've also had previous court cases with a poor resprays on  a 2.8i capri and my Datsun 240z, which both went against me!

I was close to setting fire to the Garage. R&B motors of Westbourne in Bournemouth, and before you ask I've travelled about.

Worth sticking to the best.

Back to the top

Back to the top
I remember my dad had a Vege engine fitted into his beetle way back, in 1985 I think. It may have been along time ago but I do remember it was very well done and was fantastic.

I know it was a while back but still it was very good.

Nick…

MK1 Golf   GTI 1900
MK2 Jetta  GTI 16V

Back to the top
I'm ringing VEGE on Tuesday, but if they start that extra's lark the phone is going down!

Back to the top
All the company's I rung up today must be closed until Monday, goes straight to answer phone. Volkspares did answer the phone and said that no 1800 gti engines were in stock 8O and that they could rebuild my own engine which should take between 10-12 days!

I've put my car into the local garage and told them to get the engine going as a temp measure. Next stop will be the VEG engine.

Back to the top
Think you're making the right decision lhasa - hope it all goes well for you!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cheers Hairy,
The garage called me to come and have a look at my engine, to my surprise the pistons were perfect, the valves, stems, springs were all perfect..what an honest garage.. :lol: He told me  that part of the head gasket was blown because the head bolts were loose!!!!!!!!!!!! also the timing was by one tooth!!

The head is off yet again to be skimmed and will be on the car tomorrow and he assured me the engine will sound good. I have to pick up an ordered 3 way rubber hose that goes into the rocker cover from VW, only 3 left at VW!!!!

Back to the top
Thats great news - so you won't be needing a new VEGE engine now then?

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
Nope :lol:

I had a good look engine with the head off seems remarkable that there is hardly any wear at all considering the hell that engine has gone through. Guess if she can travel a long way on only two cylinders must mean it is a very good engine.

Back to the top
All is well again in the 'lhasa camp' then!! :wink:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Not really Hairy, I have to cough up 215 cash for a head reskim, new fitted timing belt, a fan belt, plus tuned, they told me over the phone that the engine is running sweet. Have I been ripped off? also what does he mean by running sweet?

Cheers

Back to the top
?215 don't sound bad at all. Most places charge ?60-70 for a timing belt change alone which isn't even half of the work you've had done. I know this sort of expenditure is painful, but fingers crossed and it runs OK you won't have to worry about the head gasket or cambelt for a long time…..

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Got the car back today and the engine is running well apart from a slight bit of hunting, so I tried to advance the CO screw but to my surprise the screw is missing!!!also the computer failed to work when pressing the stalk!!! I fixed that problem though they forgot to connect the earth wire to the rocker cover nut. Will go to the scrapyard tomorrow to get a screw.

All the garages are same, rush, rush and rush and forget to put everything back!

Back to the top
double post edit

Back to the top
Got all the parts and have adjusted the CO, the exhaust note is louder than it was before and the engine goes like a rocket. The problem is that my average speed of 80mph on the motorway makes the oil temp hit the 115, is the temp ok? I hope the gasket is not on the way out I only had it done last week!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.