Skip navigation

Help!!!!!!!!!firing on 2 cylinders

Back to the top

Help!!!!!!!!!firing on 2 cylinders

Even the VEGE engine is expensive, 1000 plus the VAT I suppose, and then you have to pay someone to put it in!

Where did you get the work done?

Back to the top
I guess if you ask nice, VEGE would rebuild your own engine, you'd just have to wait longer???

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I don't wont my engine its total knackered. I'm after a replacement engine, so far I have looked at TSR which start at 1700 fitted, then we have the VEGE engine at 1000 + vat? not fitted and the dreaded volkspare engine or is it?
http://www.volkspares.co.uk
Volkspare must have some satisfied customers, after all they work to a kite mark, sure some engine must fail but surely volkspare must sell thousands of units.

What do you think?

Back to the top
ISO9000 is really just to prove that QC procedures are in place and there is full accountability. So it really only proves consistency. Unlikely, but in theory you could have ISO9000 and produce product that is consistently crap!

Personally, I've not heard a good report on one of their engines but then again it's usually only bad news that travels. That said, unless you have an equal number of good reports I'd forget them

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I would be cautious with Volkspares as a few searches on the main VW forums seems to turn up a lot of tales of woe. Of course people only usually post when things go wrong, but still there seem to be a fair few failures….

Do a search yourself and decide on whether thats the route you want to go down.

I would have thought if you were willing to do a lot of the disassembly and re-assembly yourself that you could recondition an engine with a lot of quality spares for ?500. Maybe just have a machine shop check some tolerances for you, crack test the head and maybe push in some new valve seat inserts. Most of the rest of the process is really just cleaning, checking tolerances and renewing components where necessary isn't it?

This is time consuming, but I guess thats why prices are high if you get someone else to do the work - time is money!

The other big plus is that if you do the work yourself think how much more confident you will be about sorting out any future problems with the engine. Your understanding of that side of things will be greatly improved imho.

I think the things you would be wise to have replaced during a rebuild with new components are:

- oil pump
- water pump
- valves, valve inserts, valve springs and valve stem seals
- piston rings
- new flexible pipework and gaskets and seals.

I guess if you can DIY, that might allow you to put some of the money saved towards things like having the crank and flywheel balanced and maybe some mild porting done on the head?

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.