Skip navigation

1979 reshelled gti for 900 quid

Back to the top

1979 reshelled gti for 900 quid

i agree its proberly not the current sellers fault the car ended up this way.
the dash looks like its from a driver thou with the bronze surround.
at the end of the day if you want a mk1 just to drive around, fix the wing and it'll be a cheep already running car. Its only 'cause we all know the differences between s1 and s2 that makes us seem so fussy, to the normal bloke on the street its just an old golf gti.

Back to the top
The seller did say the previous owners are as "long as your arm", maybe he has just clicked that the car is dodgy and a fire sale is needed hence the low buy price. Just speculation on my part.

I suppose the car could be made good by changing the wiring loom, the back panel, lights, dash board, and a colour change back to the original colour, but at what price? I would rather opt for the red early mark 1 advertised in the new VW Motoring magazine for 2.5k

Back to the top
The early red gti is probably already sold, maybe for say 2k cash, that means their is about 1 grand difference between the one advertised on ebay and the car in the VW magazine!

Back to the top
The other side of the coin is the potiential break up value of the car compared to the purchase price. Could you make money? I know the seats will probably fetch 200 quid alone. What do you think?

Back to the top
i think you've got it there, as a breaker it could be worth it just, but you would have to sell every nut and bolt to make it worth your while.But as a running car with mot some one could run it til the mot expired and sort/break it then.
Not my cup of tea thou'

Back to the top
still think it too expensive to break, given your time to dismantle it and time to recoupe your money i dont think its viable
I have broke  many a golf :cry: but no where near the cost of this was paid for them.

Back to the top
The DVLA states for vehicles that are rebuilt,

"If a second-hand chassis/monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must pass a ESVA/SVA test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated."

So any vehicle rebuilt in this way ("reshelled") must also undergo a Single Vehicle Type Approval test.

To my knowledge, failure to comply with this regulation is a legal offence and liable to prosecution as the DVLA acts an agency for the DOT.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Thought so - thats what I was trying to get at in my earlier post. Alternatively, the guy could have avoided a Q plate by keeping the registration/VIN of the monoque, making it an A reg GTI with running gear from and earlier GTI. Would have thought this would have made the car more saleable?…..

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top

dubboy said

"If a second-hand chassis/monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must pass a ESVA/SVA test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated."

So any vehicle rebuilt in this way ("reshelled") must also undergo a Single Vehicle Type Approval test.

To my knowledge, failure to comply with this regulation is a legal offence and liable to prosecution as the DVLA acts an agency for the DOT.

Cheers
Rajan
well bit out of date that mate they stopped giveing q out years ago ! best thing to do when reshelling a car is to keep the chassiey number of old car in it place and stick the old number next to it. take it down for a vic check then its all legal :wink:

Back to the top
The information was confirmed by DVLA to me and is also published on their website

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regrebil.htm

A friend of mine was also given a Q plate about six weeks ago, so the information still seems to be correct.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Cheers
Rajan
we just reshelled a 51 plate spinter van just befour xmas and got it back on its own plates  8O was told buy dvla that they stopped giveing qs out to stop people ringing qs up after they have been checked and passed

Back to the top
What do you make of this early 1600 GTI with big rear lights and the rev counter not working. I it another reshelled job?

Back to the top

Back to the top
Don't see any signs of a reshell from the ad.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.